Is Feminism important?

Some people say that Feminism is just another way for many women to try to gain an advantage over their male counterparts. However, I believe that Feminism is empowering and the very definition is "equal rights for men and women". I just do not see how people could interpret it any differently. Please discuss.

My main contentions are:

1Rights do not exist.

What is a right, other than something everyone thinks you are owed. If that is all a right is then you can't really say someone is violating your rights, because apparently they don't think you have this right. In the end power in all of its forms decides reality, and moral statements like rights are just an expression of distaste towards a certain action.

2Equality does not exist

This is patently obvious. In a world where no one is the same everyone cannot be equal. Why value a lesser person as much as you do a greater person.

3Small political issues like feminism or rights movements on massive scale are not important to our lives.

Because we have much more important things to deal with like, the meaning (or lack of meaning) of life, whether there is an afterlife. Whether you should try to live the happiest life or an adventurous one. Political issues for most people are just a distraction. And moral issues like feminism are just a way to make you feel better than other people and at the same thing not do anything with your life.

paigethesailor forfeited this round.

1) I would agree that rights do not exist if there were not laws enacted to protect the rights that apparently "do not exist". I believe I have the right to not be subjected to violence and sexism every single day. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII) makes it illegal to discriminate against someone on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, or sex. Due to this act, "rights" apparently do exist, as they are supposedly protected by the government.

2) Perfect equality might not exist, I agree with you there. However, that does not mean that, again, I be subjected to negative things perpetuated by media and my fellow human beings. People tend to ignore feminism because of this very thought. That is like saying "Sure, African Americans are not treated the same. So what even is the point of giving them rights? We'll always be unequal".

3) Feminism is hugely impactful in our everyday lives, as is other rights movements. Over 22 million women in the United States have been raped in their lifetime. (National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey 2010) Somewhere in America a woman is battered, usually by her intimate partner, every 15 seconds. (UN Study On The Status of Women, Year 2000) Those are just some statistics in the United States alone. So yes, it is extremely important.

Saying we have more important things to deal with belittles the cause of feminism. Instead of wondering whether or not there is an afterlife, we should instead focus our attention on the things that can be reduced today, such as the violent crimes against women all around the world.

For rights: You did not refute my argument I said in it that rights are not real, but rather they are just things people think they owe you. Laws give you rights because laws are official recordings of what society thinks you are owed. To say you have rights that society has not given you is not true, and to say you deserve rights from society is just your opinion. It is an expression of taste, so I think society shouldn't give into the feminist taste, why.

Because there is no equality. The central tenant underlying feminism is that men and women are equal, when it simply is not true. While traits may not be inherent to genders (but some likely are), you are made up of two things ultimately, how you were raised, and your biology. So to say it doesn't matter that girls and boys are different because it was just how they were raised doesn't matter. How you are raised is most of who you are. If there is no equality then there is no reason to adopt feminism. If people were equal it would be silly to treat them as if they are not. But if they are not equal it would be silly to treat them like they were.

In response on your arguments. The damages Feminists claim are small in comparison to other factors that determine how you are treated. Firstly if you count prison rapes men are raped more than women, and poverty has a much greater detriment to a person's life than being a woman. Although I don't see why either are my problem. I think that it would be best if the strong take what they can and the weak try to become strong. Instead feminism and other equality movements (Marxism for example) say that the strong should sacrifice themselves to raise the weak up to there newly lowered level. Inequality is the spice of life and it has created the best people in our society thus far.

Feminism doesn't stop rapes. The weeks where the feminist rape speakers came to my schools, were the weeks with the most rape jokes afterwards. In fact we now have an ongoing joke, that someone should get the title9 lady every time someone gets raped (owned) in a video game. Feminism has made my school no better in fact it has made it worse. A girl had consensual sex with a guy at my school and then complained about it to title9 and got him kicked out. She later regretted doing it, because she didn't think that it would hurt him so bad. Another guy got a restraining order put on him, just because he was flirting with this girl I know. Feminism Isn't solving the issues you talked about, it is making them worse.

Oh yah it is of no consequence whether or not we become nothing or live on forever, tomato tomAto . I don't give to craps about what is happening across the world, because I am not plagued by an unquenchable guilty conscience. We could waste our time trying make other people happy, or we could live a good live ourselves. Every minute wasted on feminism is a minute of your only time on earth that you could be having fun. If I did care about other people across the world, I would also wonder why we mainly care about the women who are suffering.

I left Christianity, because I didn't want a Priest of fabricated God telling me what to do.
I am not going to join feminism so some self righteous women of a fabricated equality/morality can tell me what to do.
We all have more important things we could do.
Posted by bitterherbs 2 years ago
What do you mean that women are minorities? There are more women than men. Also what do you mean when you say sexism, like sexist jokes, or how women get paid less (not actually true). I have my own disadvantage, like not being super rich, but I don't go around moaning how bad I have it. I don't want equality, I want to be on the top. At least here in America most of the world is our slave, so that's nice. I love Folgers Nike and WalMart.

I would agree for most cases that judging an individual based purely on sex is a dumb Idea. But it is rare for people to judge someone purely on anything. And there is no such thing as equality, so I am not going to pretend like there is.
Posted by Heyopotato 2 years ago
Sexism is just as offensive and idiotically oppressive as racism. The fact that women are still minorities astonishes me. I agree with chrum with the name of it ^^
Posted by chrumbelievable 2 years ago
I <3 feminism too, but I think we need a new word for it. I.e. "gender equalism" or something like that.
Posted by kbub 2 years ago
I <3 feminism
Vote Placed by Tophatdoc 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con seemed to go after the premise of feminism and attack it. Con also addressed the failed results of Feminism(rapes). For this, I gave the debate to Con. Neither side gets the source point because neither side provided any. Conduct point goes to Con since pro forfeited a round. Good luck to you both in future debates.
Vote Placed by imabench 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: This was a really iffy debate to judge since arguments were all over the place and didnt really focus on feminism (half the arguments argued over the existence of rights and equality), however I can give conduct points to the con since pro forfeited a round and five source points to the pro for actually using sources in her arguments