Bonapart
Bonapartist

Is Feminism justified in modern society (U.S. only)?

Bonapart

Con

First, let me preface this by clarifying my argument. I am debating if the feminist movement itself is justified, NOT women's rights altogether. I am in full support of giving rights to women across the globe, but I sincerely believe that the Feminist movement itself is not justified.

Today, one of the biggest issues that feminist fight for is "equal job pay." However, I am here to tell you that the conception that women make less than men is a myth. Ladies and gentlemen, that statistic that feminist use is that women who work make 77 cents for every dollar a man makes. However, they forget to mention factors like maternity leave and that there are less women who work then men, so therefore the median salaries of ALL the men in the U.S. is less that ALL the women in the U.S., regardless if they work or not. Doesn't it make sense that if you don't work you make less? It makes sense to me!

Today, feminists also fight for society to "forget gender stereotypes." See, that's the problem right there. How society change for women when women don't work to redefine these gender stereotypes. One cannot simply ask society to change as a whole when they don't change themselves.

Anyway, I am awaiting a response and am excited to debate this controversial topic.
Bonapartist

Pro

The contender adopts this stance: Feminism is vital to ensure the equality and prevent prejudice against those of the female race in our modern society.

The instigator mentions that he supports women's' rights, but not feminism. A simple search in Webster's will find that feminism is defined as "the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men." Is feminism not women's rights? Clearly, my opponent must be against women's' rights per his objection to feminism. Feminism is purely the movement to preserve women's' rights, much like civil disobedience is a movement sparking out of a lack of privacy.

However, the main issue my opponents mentions rather specifically is equal job pay. The instigator's arguments are based on incorrect logic instead of strong statistical evidence. Women do earn 23% less than men and not due to my opponent's claim of "maternity leave" and his weaknesses in math. Maternity leave in the U.S. is one of the shortest in the world. The U.S. government, along with the governments of numerous other oppressive and poor nations, gives only 12 weeks of unpaid leave to mothers. Clearly, 12 weeks out of an average career of 40 years won't make a difference.

As said, my opponent also mentioned the median salaries of men and women. Forgive me, but isn't the 77% number a number from a data set consisting of only those who work? Even if it included unemployed men and women, the numbers would still be skewed in favor of men as the truth does not fade. Men earn more than women due to gender discrimination. Therefore, feminism is crucial to ending this discrimination and bringing women up to the same standard as men in society.

My opponent makes many arguments, all of which lack evidence to back it up and logic to strengthen it. I look forward to hearing his responses.
Bonapart

Con

Bonapart forfeited this round.
Bonapartist

Pro

Bonapartist forfeited this round.
Bonapart

Con

Bonapart forfeited this round.
Bonapartist

Pro

Bonapartist forfeited this round.