danielzhang6o6
ATMACS

Is Football worth the risk?

Started: 4/24/2015 Category: Sports

danielzhang6o6

Pro

I think that football is worth the risk because football can prepare you for your future. Football will teach you how to do a body check to make sure you are safe. In addition, you get exersise, have fun, feel you are on a team, and also get better at at the sport itself. Therefore, I think that football is worth the risk.
ATMACS

Con

Football and other contact sports (Wrestling,Rugby, Hockey) have been shown to cause serious and permanent damage to the brain in the form of concussions (1). Football is one of the most aggressive sports today, with a high likelihood of injury. Even with proper safety equipment, there are thousands of injuries and even deaths (2) every year on the field. Concussions are not the only risks either, with broken bones and heatstroke risks anywhere football is played.

Pro has made some interesting points about getting exercise and having fun, which are true (unless you are injured), but there are many other ways to work out and have fun, in a much safer way, with non-injury prone sports. Feeling like you are a part of a team is a very important feeling in a young person's life, but football is not the only sport that offers this. Plenty of non contact sports can promote just as much team spirit and loyalty as football can, without the safety hazards football players risk every practice and game. Also, getting better at the sport of football is not a clear advantage to playing the sport. A very, very small percentage of people who play high school or collage football who make it into a paying job (3), and in spite of this many teens will spend their whole high school or collage career trying to make it to the NFL, with few ever finding success. This time could have been spent studying or training for graduation or jobs in the future.

I remind pro that he has the burden of proof (BOP), and for the reasons stated above, I believe that football is not worth the safety risks that it entails.

1: http://www.webmd.com...
2: http://www.nydailynews.com...
3: http://www.shmoop.com...
danielzhang6o6

Pro

danielzhang6o6 forfeited this round.
ATMACS

Con

My previous arguments stand. As pro has the POB, i have nothing more to say.
danielzhang6o6

Pro

danielzhang6o6 forfeited this round.
ATMACS

Con

I must apologize, i made a typo in the above round. I said POB when i meant burden of proof (BOP). Other then that, i wish pro good luck!