ChargingBadger
ZachZimmey

Is Friar Lawrence an Evil Character in "Romeo and Juliet"?

ZachZimmey
Started: 3/1/2016 Category: Arts

ChargingBadger

Con

For Round 1, I'd like us both to agree to the debate, and state our position simply, in a single sentence. For Round 2, we will flesh out our arguments. For Round 3, we may both rebut the other's position. I'm looking forward to my first debate on this site!

My Position: Friar Lawrence does not have malicious intentions in Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet."
ZachZimmey

Pro

Thank you for allowing me to accept this debate.

Position: Friar Laurence is an evil character with malicious intents in the play Romeo and Juliet.
ChargingBadger

Con

ChargingBadger forfeited this round.
ZachZimmey

Pro

I see that my opponent has forfeited the second round of the debate. I will give him a chance to redeem himself, but if he does this again for the third round, I will go ahead into my argument. Good Luck.
ChargingBadger

Con

ChargingBadger forfeited this round.
ZachZimmey

Pro

My challenger has failed to submit his third round argument, so I will try to explain my side as best as I am able.

Friar Laurence is obviously an evil character with malicious intentions in Shakespeare's play "The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet". By marrying Romeo and Juliet, he went against the Catholic Church which stated that a couple must declare their marriage six months before they were officially wed. Furthermore, the only reason he was to wed them was that he might restore peace to the families, thus making him a hero- he even said this once in act two. "...I shall be exalted highly for this..."

Second, he was in the practice of creating potions, which many people back then viewed as witchcraft. He even used his potions to deceive Juliet's family into thinking that she was dead just so Romeo, a known fugitive, could reenter the city and take her from her family. However, he conveniently failed to tell Romeo that she was dead, so he killed himself.

Lastly, Friar Lawrence is simply a bad man with no morals. He teases Romeo, asking him if he spent the night (*cough*) with Rosaline, who was to become a nun. What "man of God" would jest about such things? This man would! He harbors a fugitive in his house and atempts to smuggle him out of the city so he wouldn't be punished. Lastly, he offers to kill a fellow monk if it would help the fugitive "...let my old life sacrifice a holy man (priest)..." (Act four)

From these examples, Friar Lawrence can clearly be seen to be an evil and dishonest character who is unworthy of any recognition for kindness, for has done none to speak of. Remember, Vote Con! Thanks!
Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: RainbowDash52// Mod action: NOT Removed<

4 points to Pro. Reasons for voting decision: it needs to be about 20% cooler

[*Reason for non-removal*] Full forfeit debates are not moderated unless the voter votes for the side that did the forfeiting.
************************************************************************
Posted by dtien400 1 year ago
dtien400
I might accept this challenge, but first I'd like to hear how you'd define "evil."
Vote Placed by Hayd 1 year ago
Hayd
ChargingBadgerZachZimmeyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con ff entire debate so conduct to Pro.
Vote Placed by RainbowDash52 1 year ago
RainbowDash52
ChargingBadgerZachZimmeyTied
Reasons for voting decision: it needs to be about 20% cooler