Tedoken119
squonk

Is GOD Real?

Tedoken119 has forfeited round #3.

Tedoken119

Pro

Hi, I want to debate to see how others would claim that their isn't a super natural being that started everything.

I have a few cold cut rules here:

1. No foul language + always show respect

2. They'll be a minimum of 5k words with 4 rounds

3. Try to show sources and evidence

I'll be saying that GOD is real and my opponent will claim otherwise.

Have fun debating.
squonk

Con

Where did we come from? Where did the universe come from? These are important questions. They deserve a real answer; one that is based on evidence, not borne out of ignorance. We can 'solve' any mystery by positing the existence of an omnipotent supernatural being:
  • Q: How do plants grow?
  • A: God makes plants grow with magic.
  • Q: Why does it become dark at night?
  • A: God makes it become dark at night with magic.
  • Q: Where did human beings come from?
  • A: God created them with magic.
  • Q: Where did the universe come from?
  • A: God created the universe with magic.
"God did it, with magic" is a pseudo-explanation that fits anywhere. Seriously, there is no question you couldn't 'answer' by positing the existence of a supernatural being who is capable of anything. The problem is, this 'answer' is a bunch of nonsense. Here's why:

According to a 1998 survey conducted by Michael Shermer and Frank Sulloway, “good design of the universe” is the number one reason why people believe in God. Admittedly, it is difficult to believe that something as intricate as our universe could pop into existence spontaneously. But it is equally (if not more) difficult to believe that a being with the power to create our universe (i.e. God) could exist spontaneously. Therefore, there is no sense in positing the existence of God to explain the existence of our universe.
Tedoken119

Pro

You say we have no evidence, but we do.

How would you suppose the Universe came into existence spontaneously? you can't. The Big Bang is said to have created Space... an Time!

How could something happen when their is no time? Things happen because of time, so are you saying the universe was always here?

With the universe being here forever, it's expanding would make no sense... It'd had to start from somewhere right?

You may think I'm even disproving myself since I said Time cannot start if nothing could happen in the first place, but I'm not. The only thing that could possibly start time, is something that transcends time and space itself.

I'm being totally honest with you, all of these stories with all of this stuff in the bible happening my not be true, but many scientists and christians to this day are well aware that only a higher being that transcends our natural law could start our natural law.

do you get what I'm saying? your next argument should be a good one...
squonk

Con

Okay. I'll try to make my argument even more clear for you:

"How would you suppose the Universe came into existence spontaneously?"

I don't know how the universe came into existence. What I do know is that it doesn't make to posit the existence of an intelligent being with the power to create the universe out of nothing to explain the existence of the universe.

Why?

Because...How would you suppose that a being with the power to create the universe out of nothing could exist spontaneously?

We have a dilemma. We must choose to believe either A or B:
  • (A) The universe popped into existence out of nothing / nowhere
  • (B) A being with the power to create our universe out of nothing exists out of nothing/nowhere

Does it make sense to believe that the universe randomly appeared out of nowhere? No? Then, how does it make sense to believe that a god with the power to create the universe randomly exists out of nowhere? It doesn't make sense.

Posted by DrAnomaly 5 months ago
DrAnomaly
Its really not a good sign that you start off the debate by attempting to shift the burden of proof.
Posted by missmedic 5 months ago
missmedic
Believers must be able to present a model of the universe in which some god is "either required, productive, or useful."
Posted by MagicAintReal 5 months ago
MagicAintReal
A *minimum* of 5,000 characters per round?
Unprecedented!