Dishoungh
softball_32

Is Gaming a Sport?

Dishoungh
Started: 5/26/2014 Category: Sports

Dishoungh

Pro

Hello Softball, I know you know who I am. I saw your debate with Eblank over there and I could say that the debate lost some potential of being a marvelous debate. I know that we are friends, but I won't hold back. I'm not like your last opponent. I never forfeit a round. Do you accept?

Before you accept I would like for you to know that what we're debating about is if video games is a sport. Sport has many categories and has a very amorphous general definition which is "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment"; but however, there are sports that doesn't strongly follow one or more than one of the requirements of a sport, but still are officially classified as a sport. Ex: Archery, Marching Band, Golf, and, of course, Gaming.

[https://www.google.com...]

Debate Schedule

Round 1: Acceptance

Round 2: Arguments

Round 3: Arguments/Rebuttals

Round 4: Arguments/Rebuttals

Round 5: Conclusive Arguments/Criticisms/Goodbyes

So, again, do you accept?

softball_32

Con

i accept to this debate
Dishoungh

Pro

Thesis Statement

Gaming is not a PHYSICAL sport, but it's an ELECTRONIC sport.

________________________________________________________________________________________

Argument #1: It's an Electronic Sport

Like I said before, the word "sport" has many categories. The source below provides all of the known categories of sports and Electronic Sports (Gaming/e-Sports) are one of them.

[http://en.wikipedia.org...]

Electronic Sports "is a term for organized video game competitions, especially between professionals. The most common video game genres associated with electronic sports are real-time strategy, fighting, first-person shooter, and multiplayer online battle arena."

[http://en.wikipedia.org...]

You might be familiar with the term, "Major League Gaming."

Major League Gaming was founded in 2002 and is a North American Electronic Sports Organization.

[http://en.wikipedia.org...]

Notice I said, ELECTRONIC sport, not physical sport. As I said earlier, an activity doesn't have to have physical exertion in order to be called a sport, as there are many official sports that defy that principle.

Argument #2: It's now classified as a Professional Sport

According to Polygon, "The official League of Legends eSports tournament League Championship Series has been recognized as a fully professional sport by the U.S. State Department." According to Dustin Beck, president of e-Sports, "it validates eSports as a sport."

[http://www.polygon.com...]

According to UPROXX, "Earlier this month, the United States government officially declared that the annual League of Legends tournament was no longer just a gathering of competitive video game enthusiasts. Gaming is now, in fact, an actual professional sport."

[http://uproxx.com...]

An article at TechSpot says the same thing.

[http://www.techspot.com...]

Argument #3: Video Games has been used for physical exercise

According to what I found in Wikipedia, a term "exergaming" is a term of using video games as a form of exercise. This term has been used to invert the STEREOTYPE of video games being a sedentary activity.

This form of exercise has been used ever since the late 1980's. You've might have heard of the "Wii-Fit."

Studies in labatories have shown that children and young people adore the Wii-Fit than inactive and treadmill exercises.

[http://en.wikipedia.org...]

According to this 3-minute and 10-second video, Exergaming improves academics, social development, and overall health & fitness.

[https://www.youtube.com...]

[http://www.webmd.com...]

Argument #4: Video Gaming follows other principles

Besides physical activity, gaming follows the principles that classify EVERY sport which are:

• Must have a form of competition

• Must be governed by a set of rules

• Must have the involvement of skill

Competition

Obviously, gaming is highly competitive. It’s just as competitive as Football and Basketball. Gaming has tournaments held by Major League Gaming.

Rules

In Major League Gaming, there are a set of rules you are to follow, like this:

[http://gamebattles.majorleaguegaming.com...]

Skill

Obviously, you need to strategize and strategizing involves mental skill. Notice I said MENTAL skill, not physical skill. So, don’t just come here and say, all you do is press buttons. That’s not a valid argument.

softball_32

Con

a sport is when ur moving. Get up and active plez that is all i want is that people just GO OUTSIDE!!! u will never get better at a sport unless u r outside and practicing. I was 9 yrs old when i hit my first home run. it was the best feeling when i hit my first home run. I was about 11 or 12 when i made my first basket in basketball. I NEVER give up in sports and how i get better is GOING OUTSIDE AND PRACTICE!!!!!!! A sport is NOT gaming!!!!
Dishoungh

Pro

"a sport is when ur moving"

I've clearly clarified that a sport doesn't necessarily have to have physical exertion. Con is declaring that a sport is just simply "when (your) moving." That definition is oversimplified and does not follow any definition of the word "sport." If sports were simply just moving, then me typing my arguments is a sport. Waving your hand is a sport.

"Get up and active plez that is all i want is that people just GO OUTSIDE!!! u will never get better at a sport unless u r outside and practicing."

Con justifies a sport as going outside. However, going outside is not referred to in any definition nor the definition you gave earlier. These assertions do not prove that Gaming is not a sport nor are they valid to the debating topic.

"I was 9 yrs old when i hit my first home run. it was the best feeling when i hit my first home run. I was about 11 or 12 when i made my first basket in basketball. I NEVER give up in sports and how i get better is GOING OUTSIDE AND PRACTICE!!!!!!! A sport is NOT gaming!!!!"

Again, these assertions that Con affirmed are not valid and they do not address the resolution. Con also uses her experiences with sports when they have no relation with the topic and they don't prove that Gaming is not a sport.
softball_32

Con

First of all y do u put so much words no one is going to read all of that.

Sports r ACTIVE not sitting down not unless u r in a wheelchair and playing basketball.
Dishoungh

Pro

"First of all y do u put so much words no one is going to read all of that."

It's apparent that Con does know the point of a debate. The whole point of a debate is to affirm as many arguments as possible, while giving sources and evidence backing up those affirmations to prove that your argument is more convincing and maintaining proper netiquette. If a debater can't do that, his/her argument(s) cannot be more convincing or valid than someone who is providing solid affirmations along with evidence like mine. So, having the shortest argument so people don't have to read a lot will get you nowhere. As long as you have solid and clear arguments, the voter won't have to read everything.

"Sports r ACTIVE not sitting down not unless u r in a wheelchair and playing basketball."

Con is still using an oversimplified and vague definition of the word "Sport." Con also doesn't give a clear definition of the word "active." Sure, Gaming don't require you to be active, but like I said earlier, there are sports that defy the physical principle of sports.
softball_32

Con

i really dont care for this debate but all i know is GO OUTSIDE
Dishoungh

Pro

"i really dont care for this debate but all i know is GO OUTSIDE"

Con has conceded. She stated that she doesn't care about the debate that she CONTENDED to. If she didn't care about this topic, then it would be illogical to oppose me on this topic.

Con has also stated that she only knows about going outside, an affirmation that is not valid and doesn't support her case. This also implies that Con doesn't have any knowledge, prior knowledge, or didn't, at least, perform any research on information that could potentially support her case.
softball_32

Con

https://www.youtube.com...

this is what i listen to when im OUTSIDE practicing or lifting weights or just on my way to my sporting event ( i am very competitive )
Posted by Dishoungh 3 years ago
Dishoungh
I'm not understanding you. I mean, yes, I'm taking the position "Pro" which states that Gaming is technically a sport and Softball is taking the position "Con" which is supposed to contradict my arguments. Don't you see how this debate thing works?
Posted by TheDevilsLawyer 3 years ago
TheDevilsLawyer
Debate Title: "Is Gaming a Sport?"
Pro: "Gaming is not a PHYSICAL sport, but it's an ELECTRONIC sport."

you just called it a sport!
Vote Placed by lannan13 3 years ago
lannan13
Dishounghsoftball_32Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession
Vote Placed by MB17 3 years ago
MB17
Dishounghsoftball_32Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Gaming is a sport as the definition of a sport is a contest that requires physical extortion. Gaming is a contest as you can compete against a homo sapien or you may choose the compete against the computer processing unit. Gaming requires physical extortion by moving fingers and eyeballs, the definition of the word sport does not tell us how much physical extortion is required. Therefore gaming is a sport.
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 3 years ago
FuzzyCatPotato
Dishounghsoftball_32Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con: lern 2 speel!!1!1! Actually rebut, don't just assert. Provide reasons to vote Neg.
Vote Placed by numberwang 3 years ago
numberwang
Dishounghsoftball_32Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con was a little rude and did not try to really rebut the points of Pro. Con basically said that they had given up and their only point was refuted by Pro in his main argument.