NKaloms
Bill_Henly

Is Gender is binary or fluid?

Bill_Henly has forfeited round #2.

NKaloms

Pro

A contentious issue today is gender identification. Many individuals no longer believe that gender is binary and is instead on a spectrum.
For this debate, I will argue that gender is synonymous with biological sex and is therefore binary. My opponent's goal is to prove that gender is not binary and is instead on a spectrum.

Terms:

Sex - the fundamental distinction, found in most species of animals and plants, based on the type of gametes produced by the individual and its chromosomes.

Gender - the state of being male or female

Round 1 is for acceptance. 2 is for arguments. 3 and 4 are for rebuttals.
Bill_Henly

Con

It is trinary. Male, female and other.
NKaloms

Pro

My opponent claims that gender is trinary - male, female, and other.
I would ask my opponent what he means by other? What else is there? What "other" genders are there?
You cannot just state that there is an "other" gender without evidence. What evidence does my opponent have to support his claim?

I propose that gender is based on biological sex, therefore there is only male and female.

In humans the sex chromosomes comprise one pair of the total of 23 pairs of chromosomes. The other 22 pairs of chromosomes are called autosomes. Individuals having two X chromosomes (XX) are female; individuals having one X chromosome and one Y chromosome (XY) are male (www.britannica.com).

https://www.britannica.com...
Posted by 3RU7AL 3 months ago
3RU7AL
How do you propose to keep these CAIS individuals out of the women's bathroom?

Or even more importantly, how do you keep them from getting married to other men?
Posted by NKaloms 3 months ago
NKaloms
3RU7AL, your articles don't prove that sex isn't binary. The people born with those conditions are still genetically either male or female. Sexual organs do not determine your sex, your chromosomes do. The person who has androgen insensitivity syndrome is still either male or female based on their chromosomes, even if they develop the opposite sexual organs.
Posted by 3RU7AL 3 months ago
3RU7AL
Androgen insensitivity syndrome is a condition that affects sexual development before birth and during puberty. People with this condition are genetically male, with one X chromosome and one Y chromosome in each cell. Because their bodies are unable to respond to certain male sex hormones (called androgens), they may have mostly female external sex characteristics or signs of both male and female sexual development.

https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov...
Posted by 3RU7AL 3 months ago
3RU7AL
Complete androgen insensitivity syndrome and anti-M"llerian hormone levels before and after laparoscopic gonadectomy
August 2017
Maki Kusumi | Makiko Mitsunami | Hiroki Onoue | Momo Noma | Fumiko Matsumura | Chisa Tabata | Seiji Tanaka | Noriko Watanabe | Takako Kurosawa | Toshihiro Fujiwara | Osamu Tsutusmi
We report cases of two sisters with complete androgen insensitivity syndrome (CAIS). A complete female appearance, blind-ending vagina, and testes in the pelvis are characteristics of CAIS. Prophylactic...

https://www.journals.elsevier.com...
Posted by NKaloms 3 months ago
NKaloms
3RU7AL, Science Daily, while an interesting website, is a news website and not a science website. I looked at their sources and I can not find a credible one. Find a credible source that documents a case in which a female did not have two X chromosomes and/or a male have XY chromosomes.
Posted by 3RU7AL 3 months ago
3RU7AL
Women with CAIS are born with an XY chromosome pair. Because of the Y chromosome, the women have testes that remain hidden within their groins but they lack neural receptors for androgens so they cannot respond to the androgens that their testes produce. They can, however, respond to the estrogens that their testes produce so they develop physically as women and undergo a feminizing puberty. Since they do not have ovaries or a uterus and do not menstruate they cannot have children.

"Women with CAIS have androgen floating around in their brains but no receptors for it to connect to," Wallen says. "Essentially, they have this default female pattern and it's as though they were never exposed to androgen at all."

https://www.sciencedaily.com...
Posted by Bitch_Goddess 3 months ago
Bitch_Goddess
Supreme_Sawk, do you also believe that gender is the same as sex?
Posted by Supreme_Sawk 3 months ago
Supreme_Sawk
Identity doesn't come before biology. I can identify as a lion but that doesn't make me a lion. Non-binary doesn't exist, gender is determined by your chromosomes and hence genetic code that is as of date unchangeable. Your feelings don't matter when you're talking in the realm of biology i.e. fact.

Btw, I know that this is the stance you're taking, I'm just clarifying my position.
Posted by levi_smiles 3 months ago
levi_smiles
Flawed premise. Gender is not subjective, gender is objectively determinable by chromosomes. It's the identity part of gender identity that's subjective. Identity has always been subjective (are you a Christian first or a stock broker, are you a soldier first or a mother) Since the debate requires acceptance of an invalid premise, it's a non-starter as far as I'm concerned.