steven.vitelli
magpie

Is Global Warming Really Occuring?

magpie

steven.vitelli

Pro

Global warming continues to be a major debate throughout the world. There is no question that the polar ice caps are melting. The amount of green house gases that we are admitting into are atmosphere is causing are plant to heat up. Storms are becoming more severe like we saw with Hurricane Sandy, and the Typhoon that hit Japan last year. So its time for us to open our eyes and notice global warming is really happening.
magpie

Con

Thank you, Steven, for this opportunity to debate this very important topic. Because of the many facets of global climate, and changes to the climate along with the various nuances of observation, I will confine myself to attempting to dispute and disprove your various claims, while advancing my own opinions. You and I can not add much to the science.
So, to begin: Both polar caps are not shrinking as you claim. While the arctic ice cap is shrinking Antarctic ice is growing.
Storms are, by their very nature, very variable in frequency and severity. There is absolutely no evidence that recent storms are more severe than those of the past.
The Earth has not warmed in the last 14 years, at a time when we have EMITTED more 'Green House Gases' than ever.
The concept of 'Global Warming' AKA 'Climate Change' is being advanced by the same political leftists who failed in their attempt to promote 'Global Cooling' AKA 'Nuclear Winter'.
Climate, by its very nature, is subject to change. Variables, some man-made such as GHGs and the reflectivity of our buildings, and natural, such as sun spots, volcano eruptions, magnetic pole reversals, and asteroid hits, have some affect. Historical and forensic data show that the Earth has been, both far warmer and far cooler than it is, now. This contemporary period is no more the standard of natural permanent temperature range, than it was in the Ice Age or the Medieval Period.
Further, if it could be proved that we were on a collision course with disaster (we can not), it would be impossible to alter the emissions from the third world, where the vast majority of population resides.
steven.vitelli

Pro

Thank You for joining my debate.
I agree with you that storms vary in severity. But we are seeing weather patterns we've never seen before. Weatherman are using the word unprecedented to describe these storms. For example, Hurricane Sandy was unprecedented. The east coast has been hit by hurricanes before, but not like Sandy. It made a direct turn right into the east coast, and we know the damage it caused all along the coast. Our earth has rosen in tempture its not a dramatic increase, but it would'nt take much to change are climate. Global warming doesn't necessarily mean the earth is going to become to hot to live on. Global warming can also cause the next Ice Age to happen. I wouldn't leave weather related decisions up to politicians because they do a lot of nothing. Yes natural disasters happen like volcanoes erupting, and forest fires there nothing we can do about those things. But what we can lesson are carbon foot print by burning cleaner fuels. What goes on in the thrid world countries I don't know, but we can educate these people by educating our selfs that there's a cleaner way to produce energy.
magpie

Con

Steven: You have repeated your anecdotal claims, but you have not refuted my response to your initial dialogue.
I'm afraid that you have bought into the (largely) political propaganda that seeks to establish an end game that results in the diminishing of the Western Culture.
I'd like to reverse our argument. I believe that most of the information in the link, below, is (provably) accurate. Try reading some of the articles and pick just one that you can disagree with. I'd be happy to focus on your argument. This site contains virtually all of my knowledge regarding AGW. Please regard the huge collection of data to be my comprehensive response to your argument.
Magpie
http://a-sceptical-mind.com...
steven.vitelli

Pro

steven.vitelli forfeited this round.
magpie

Con

Steven is probably reading the link that I pointed to, as well as researching his response. We nstill have 2 more rounds to wrap up.
steven.vitelli

Pro

steven.vitelli forfeited this round.
magpie

Con

I'm disappointed in Steven's failure to respond. Hopefully, he's just busy with something else.
steven.vitelli

Pro

steven.vitelli forfeited this round.
magpie

Con

Perhaps Steven has been converted.
My position:
1. There is a distinct and obvious LEFTIST mission to sell AWG.
2. There is absolutely no scientific evidence to suggest that Carbon Dioxide has ever preceded long term Global Warming.
3. The earth has been cooling for 17 straight years - at a time when there has been record amounts of both CO2 production and accumulation.
4. The East Anglica gang created the "Hockey Stick" Graph to explain why the century before 1940 was warming during a period with far lower amounts of CO2. The "Hokey Stick" is in serious disrepute, and the Gang is running from it.
5. I could go on, but if the reader will just go to the link in round 2, you will see for yourself that the contentions, therein are either provable or at least, not subject to debate.
Posted by Abominminded 3 years ago
Abominminded
Yeah and with it another 50 years of fossil fuel , well global warming that is what our elected voices did that time , "Global Warming", alright I think these corn haglers have also been burning our magical medicine big as a forest get lost in their. I wrote them a letter stop rainforest fire, it never happened.l So we need yet another branch the statistical branch , yeah no GW, no burning ,RF got it. Gonna send my troops drown their pull some Smokey the Bear , "Only you can prevent forest fires" No but you me and them her and that guy oh' pick up the Felons vote also yeah, Send my army say guard the forest I don't care we took everything else liberate South America , funny you first need to be Liberated to Liberate, Deliberations never include my decision ! Yeah it's a house warming gift for the Devil we got him a bunch of Nuclear plants and some of those cute little radioactive missiles you know with the big cloud of toxic crap attached. He'll never use them the'll just sit around till they have leaked enough to do the damage ! We need to dismantle these men .
Vote Placed by Jevinigh 3 years ago
Jevinigh
steven.vitellimagpieTied
Reasons for voting decision: Global warming is a definite problem, how ever Pro did a poor job of establishing it and forfeited the subsequent rounds.
Vote Placed by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
steven.vitellimagpieTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF, among other things.