sodom_is_the_21st_century
SecularPatrician

Is God Good?

sodom_is_the_21st_century

Pro

In this debate I declare that there must be no cursing, no semantics, and no trolling.
In this debate I will argue that God is good and wants the best for humanity. Con will argue that either God is evil, neutral, or doesn't exist.
I will now outline my points for why God is good.
1. He died for us. - God sent Jesus, his only Son, to be made human and suffer an excruciating death on the cross. He did this to forgive our sins and allow us to go to heaven. He opened the gates of salvation to us. This is proof that God is good.
2. He freed the Israelites. - Through Moses, God saved the Israelites from enslavement to the Egyptians. If God wasn't good, why would he give Moses the power to part the seas?
3. He created us. - God created us in His own image and likeness. Why would he create something he did not love and care for?
SecularPatrician

Con

I accept your debate, and I will begin stating my arguments. To my belief, God (and religion in general), is the main source of evil that rises on this planet. Religion is often accompanied by war, violence, hate, bigotry, and enslaves those who believe it. It makes everyone live in fear, make intellectuals contradict themselves, blinds children, and etc. Without further a do, I will start my arguments.

I will start with the general argument on how God himself is generally hypocritical and favors evil more rather than good. When a person is born into the world, he/she is automatically put under a "celestial dictatorship". The individual must live according to the laws that have been set by God, worship and praise God, and put him above all else. Does this not sound a bit like a dictatorship? In the Ten Commandments, all of the laws (especially the first four) revolve around worship of God and constant praise. The first four commandments are listed below as you can see here.

1. Thou shalt have no gods before me.
2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image.
3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord in vain.
4. Remember the sabbath day to keep it holy.

Does this not look oppressive? The first commandment clearly states that one can not worship any other god but him. The second commandment states that one can not worship any other idols and only God. the third states to not degrade his "almighty" name. And the forth is to save a day only to worship God. These sources indicate that God is egocentric and everything revolves around him. If the commandments state such edicts that revolve around God, then there must be other evidences that point God out as egocentric.

"So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them."

Genesis 1:27

Now, this might look benevolent, but behind this exterior, does lie more tyranny and selfishness. In creating man and woman in God's image, what is his justification for creating humans? So that humans can worship and praise in his glory. Why else would he create human in his own likeness? So that they can essentially be slaves to his will. Those who don't are subject to torment in hell. Even with the "gift of free will God has given", he still sets up a scheme that forces everyone to worship him, so that they may not end up in eternal torture.

2 Thessalonians 1:8 - "In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ."

Romans 13:2 - Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.

In addition, there are countless stories of God destroying cities and thousands of people due to the fact that they have went against his laws, worshipped other gods, and so forth. Is it a bit ironic that God has killed thousands of people in the Bible, while Satan has killed only ten? A good example of God's tyranny is in the story of Moses.

I thank you once again for the opportunity to debate, and I await your rebuttals.

Sources for Bible verses:

http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org...

sodom_is_the_21st_century

Pro

sodom_is_the_21st_century forfeited this round.
SecularPatrician

Con

Ah, decided to forfeit? Vote for me!
sodom_is_the_21st_century

Pro

SecularPatrician

Con

SecularPatrician forfeited this round.