PatronSaintOfAwesome
meli

Is God Necessary for Morality?

PatronSaintOfAwesome

Con

I am an atheist and a moral realist, and I've never seen a good argument against the plausibility of a secular foundation of morality.

I would like a challenge, the last person I debated didn't seem to know anything about metaethics. Please don't engage this debate if you don't have a very strong case to make.
meli

Pro

Hi I"m Melissa and I would like to accept the challenge
PatronSaintOfAwesome

Con

Hello Melissa, I'm looking forward to hearing why you think God is necessary for an objective moral reality. Since you haven't yet given an argument and I need to say something, I'll give an argument attacking divine command theory. Of course this doesn't show God is completely uninvolved with morality, but it forwards my position.

Moral obligations cannot be identical to divine commands, because they have inconsistent properties. Moral obligations, if they exist at all, exist necessarily; they're immutable; and they are objective, existing independently of anyone's personal choice or preferences. Commands, on the other hand, are contingent; possibly change; and do depend on someone's choosing them to exist, and choosing the content of the command.

Therefore, reducing moral obligation to divine command isn't explaining the true nature of moral obligations, so much as explaining it away! On divine command theory, there isn't anything like a moral obligation as is putatively conceived.
meli

Pro

meli forfeited this round.
PatronSaintOfAwesome

Con

PatronSaintOfAwesome forfeited this round.
meli

Pro

meli forfeited this round.
PatronSaintOfAwesome

Con

Answer? :(
meli

Pro

meli forfeited this round.
Posted by ladiesman 2 years ago
ladiesman
It is not imperative to believe in a divine power to have moral principles. It is only possible to develop a truly impartial moral system by abandoning widely accepted religious ideals. The divine command theory has holes; appealing to scripture and/or supposed divine commands gets us nowhere, it only results in us condemning arbitrary behavior.