difintur79
autodidact

Is God Real

autodidact

difintur79

Pro

In this debate the reality of God will be discussed. I understand that the existence of God cannot really be proven in facts. The winner of this debate will be the one who can provide the best argument for his belief.
autodidact

Con

Which god?
There are any number of gods pro may be considering and even in talking about a single god there tends to be conflicting views on the nature of this god.

I ask pro to clearly define in the most exacting terms possible, this god and its properties.
What evidence exists for this god?
What if any are this god's purported views on slavery.
difintur79

Pro

God, Jehovah, the Messiah or Jesus Christ.

Following the Christian teaching God created everything, the heavens and the earth.
He loves his creation and sent his son to save the lost after the world fell into sin. Christ came, die for the sins of the world, and was resurrected on the third day.

Views on slavery - "The idea that God or Christianity encourages or approves of slavery is shown to be false. In fact, anybody who was caught selling another person into slavery was to be executed. However, since voluntary slavery was widely practiced during biblical times, the Bible proscribes laws to protect the lives and health of slaves. Paul, the author of many of the New Testament writings, virtually ordered the Christian Philemon to release his Christian slave from his service to "do what is proper". In addition, numerous verses from the New Testament show that God values slaves as much as any free person and is not partial to anyone's standing before other people."
autodidact

Con

autodidact forfeited this round.
difintur79

Pro

Are you there?
autodidact

Con

autodidact forfeited this round.
Posted by Deadlykris 3 years ago
Deadlykris
I understand that slavery was different in ancient times, though not necessarily as different as you claim. However, it's still treating people as literal property. It is still immoral. It is still condoned and even commanded by the bible. To make the distinction that "the Bible does not say God upholds slavery" is disingenuous; if it's not the "word of God," then why is it in in the bible?
Posted by difintur79 3 years ago
difintur79
ve with honor, so that Christianity would not be looked down upon."

In order to properly debate this topic we must come to a common ground on as to what exactly is slavery. I am a Christian, I believe in God. I accept his presence and reality by faith. I don't believe personally that the God that came to set the world free of sin would uphold slavery. At least not the type that is stereotyped today.
Posted by difintur79 3 years ago
difintur79
Exactly, but the Bible does not say God upholds slavery. That was the original point if I am correct.
One must remember slavery in bible times was different.
"So, obviously, slavery during Old Testament times was not what we commonly recognize as slavery, such as that practiced in the 17th century Americas, when Africans were captured and forcibly brought to work on plantations. Unlike our modern government welfare programs, there was no safety-net for ancient Middle Easterners who could not provide a living for themselves. In ancient Israel, people who could not provide for themselves or their families sold them into slavery so they would not die of starvation or exposure. In this way, a person would receive food and housing in exchange for labor.

So, although there are rules about slavery in the Bible, those rules exist to protect the slave. Injuring or killing slaves was punishable - up to death of the offending party.1 Hebrews were commanded not to make their slave work on the Sabbath,2 slander a slave,3 have sex with another man's slave,4 or return an escaped slave.5 A Hebrew was not to enslave his fellow countryman, even if he owed him money, but was to have him work as a hired worker, and he was to be released in 7 years or in the year of jubilee (which occurred every 50 years), whichever came first.6 In fact, the slave owner was encouraged to "pamper his slave".7"

"Since many of the early Christians were slaves to Romans,8 they were encouraged to become free if possible, but not worry about it if not possible.9 The Roman empire practiced involuntary slavery, so rules were established for Christians who were subject to this slavery or held slaves prior to becoming Christians. The rules established for slaves were similar to those established for other Christians with regard to being subject to governing authorities.10 Slaves were told to be obedient to their master and serve them sincerely, as if serving the Lord Himself.11 Paul instructed slaves t
Posted by Deadlykris 3 years ago
Deadlykris
Break out your bible, then, I don't feel like copying and pasting all these verses.

Exodus 21:2-6
Exodus 21:20-21
Leviticus 25:44-46
Ephesians 6:5
1 Timothy 6:1-2
Luke 12:47-48

Oh, and a bonus to forestall old-testament objections: Matthew 5:17-19
Posted by difintur79 3 years ago
difintur79
Support that with a verse and I will gladly reform my ideas.
Posted by Deadlykris 3 years ago
Deadlykris
You said it does not condone slavery. Not only does it condone slavery, in some cases it demands it. There are specific guidelines regarding who should be enslaved and under what conditions, as well as how slaves should be treated and how slaves should act.
Posted by difintur79 3 years ago
difintur79
Well apparently I have lied about the bible's stance on slavery.
Posted by difintur79 3 years ago
difintur79
I wouldn't say I "won" this debate. My opponent has a life to live and missed the deadlines.
Posted by difintur79 3 years ago
difintur79
Ok thank you.
Posted by Deadlykris 3 years ago
Deadlykris
If your opponent forfeits the last round be sure to post a comment.
Vote Placed by Deadlykris 3 years ago
Deadlykris
difintur79autodidactTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct and Arguments to Con. Pro blatantly lied about the bible's stance on slavery. Conduct point lost for lying - which is worse than simply failing to post a round or two - and argument point lost for posting a false statement as an argument.