Rhenium
Stephen7

Is God Real

Rhenium

Pro

I don't want to make this a flame-war. I just want to have a nice philosophical debate with not stakes. It's just nice to discuss interesting questions and I might as well do it with a complete stranger. If you are willing to indulge me, I will be very grateful. There is a good chance I will be defeated easily and I accept this. If I change definitions or do something silly, by all means point it out, but know this discussion may go in many directions and I am not very experienced at online debates. If I drop out at some point, this may be due to a number of reasons, and you will win. Whoever accepts may easily win debate points, but I don't really care for that. In fact, I may surrender at the end just to let you win! :D

As for the argument, I believe God exists. It may be the Christian God, the Hindu God, and in fact they may be all the same God. It's a way for humans to continue to have hope and fight. It's a symbol and something everyone can look towards in times of need. It may be irrational and silly, but it is a driving force. Out there somewhere is something. Perhaps God is the whole universe, acting just like an organism, with its small parts all moving about. Perhaps we are a part of God. While there may be no substantial evidence as to the existence of such a deity, it is probably out there somewhere. Or perhaps, it's just within our hearts.
Stephen7

Con

There has been thousands and thousands of Near Death Experiences (NDE's) that were centered on a tunnel to a bright light at the end. Some people, who have coped from the Near Death Experience, have great stories to tell, and I have read a lot of them. One time, I was on a social networking site, and I gathered a ton of information on Near Death Experiences to send to the user who resisted to believe that God is real. Here's the information I sent the user:
__________________________________
Hello, PedroJesus. How have you been? You offered me to discuss the topic of God and Jesus, and I have accepted the offer. By the way, thank you for giving me a chance to express myself, and to tell you how much God and Jesus both love you.
Over the past couple of years, I've learned to accept God and the Lord. God made all of us, and Jesus Christ is our Lord and Savior.
First of all, I'd like to give you a few stories of Near Death Experiences. Now, you might be wondering why I am doing this, and I will explain it to you at the end of these stories.
1. This is Ian McCormack's Near Death Experience: http://www.near-death.com... - This story was voted the most popular NDE by the website known as ListVerse: http://listverse.com...
2.This is Dr. Mary Neal's Near Death Experience: http://www.christianitytoday.com... - This story was voted 8th most popular NDE.
3. This is Crystal McVea's Near Death Experience, and the story was voted the 2nh most popular: http://listverse.com... - As you can see, Ian McCormack's NDE is very similar to Crystal McVea's NDE. They both heard the following from God: "Would you like to return?" In my opinion, when God says this, He means if the person would like to go back to their past life, Earth.

I said that I would explain why I was sharing with you people's stories, and the reason is because when you ask God for forgiveness just before death, you will probably go to Heaven. Some people say that when you accept Christ in your life, your past is nonexistent to Him. Also, please take the time out of your busy schedule, and read these astonishing stories; they deeply touched my heart.
Jesus once taught that all things are possible if you let God lead your life:
Matthew 19:25-26
Verse 25: When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, "Who then can be saved?"
Verse 26: Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
If you'd like to ask me anything else about any of this, I will gladly help you out.
MY God Bless you.
Kind Regards,
Stephen
__________________________________
Rhenium

Pro

Rhenium forfeited this round.
Stephen7

Con

Stephen7 forfeited this round.
Rhenium

Pro

Rhenium forfeited this round.
Stephen7

Con

Stephen7 forfeited this round.
Rhenium

Pro

Rhenium forfeited this round.
Stephen7

Con

Stephen7 forfeited this round.
Rhenium

Pro

Rhenium forfeited this round.
Stephen7

Con

Stephen7 forfeited this round.
Posted by Stonehe4rt 9 months ago
Stonehe4rt
Well intriguing opinion, however my heart tells me different. But of course I can't disprove your opinion with another opinion.
Posted by PTW 9 months ago
PTW
I have no wish to prove your god doesn't exist!, I just know in my heart of hearts that it doesn't!!, you may believe whatever you wish, however you'll die not knowing the truth!!.
Posted by Stonehe4rt 9 months ago
Stonehe4rt
Prove God doesn't exist. I dare you. You can't, exactly. Hence the Schodongers Cat as stated. Since neither side can observe the answer we must assume both solutions are true. Hence he does and doesn't. So long answer short, Yes he does. Or long answer short No he doesn't. It depends on the person, since we cannot prove either or. Your answer is that he doesn't, however mine is that he does. Neither of us are incorrect.
Posted by PTW 9 months ago
PTW
"Is god real?", well the short answer is NO, the long answer is NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!.
Posted by Stonehe4rt 9 months ago
Stonehe4rt
Well both sides are agreeing.... Derp. But anyways for both of them I will offer evidence of theoretical proof how God exist. Ahem. Using Schrodingers Cat of course xD. So Schrodinger's Cat is a scientific theory, or should I say solution? In basicallity it states that what is not yet observed and neither proved nor disproved is hence both. Like when you are playing poker and are hoping your face down card is a Ace of Hearts. Since it has not been observed yet, it is theortically both The Ace of Hearts and Not the Ace of Hearts. Now with the question of Is God Real. The same formula applies. Since God cannot be proven nor disproven, He is henceforth both. Real and Not Real. He is both at the same time, existent and not until observed. This theory can play well with the Observer Theory or Heisenberg theories which are very close. In essence it is that which has not been observed yet is made by our conscience. Such as that time you need one more card for your Straight in Poker, and it is the last card you get for the round. You hold that card tight and close your eyes and hope with all your might it is that Ace of Hearts, and when you open your eyes it truly is the Ace of Hearts. This is the theory that we create the world which is not proven. So by this theory we are left with two paths, Did we create God, or did God create us? This is a Chicken or the Egg Theory. In which case the Chicken (God) is the one to prevail. Hence if we created God to create us in the past. Then that means by our own thought, God came before us hence created us, hence allowed us to think of him. Or simply the fact an "Egg" cannot survive unless guarded, warmed and raised by the "Chicken" Just like God did in the Bible. Putting all these excepted Scientific Theories together and you can see that God is indeed "Real".
Posted by JayShay 9 months ago
JayShay
Con is supposed to be arguing that God is not real...
Posted by nightwish672 9 months ago
nightwish672
What a dumb debate question. No evidence for both sides, this is pointless.
Posted by JayShay 9 months ago
JayShay
Welp, good luck to both of you! :)
Posted by JayShay 9 months ago
JayShay
Hello. I may accept your debate if it's still open in half an hour or so.

A word of advice: never give up! Even if you are in a debate where you KNOW you are going to lose no matter what you say, still say something. Forfeiting just doesn't look like you ever cared about the debate. Keep on fighting to the end! You may get conduct points for continuing to defend your argument despite a stronger opponent. Also, some debates have the rule that forfeiture is an automatic loss. So by continuing on you still at least have a chance!