twighlighttrees
Brendan_Liam

Is God linked to morality?

Brendan_Liam

twighlighttrees

Con

In this debate I ask if morality is determined by God. This debate I plan on keeping informal in that I do not expect you to state from any source or keep your format in a proper fashion unless you should chose otherwise or it is asked and this will apply to myself as well. In my question I as about God by this I refer to the monotheistic god of the Abrahamic religions (Christianity, Judaism, Islam) and intend to keep the debate focused on that premise. In my upcoming arguments I will seemingly re-ask the question however I do wish to inform my opponent and any voters or readers that my debate question is more like, does God have any part in morality and how it is determined or made? I intend to refute the contrary by making it impossible for my opponent not only be unable to prove that morality has anything to do with God but also point out that it is logically impossible for God to be attached to moralities properties or existence in any way. I intend to defend my position using the popular Euthyphro dilemma. In that I open my debate with a question I would like my opponent to answer if he choses.
"Is what is morally good commanded by God because it is morally good, or is it morally good because it is commanded by God?"
Brendan_Liam

Pro

I accept your terms and plan to surprisingly win the debate in a way you'd never expect, because oh... it's linked.
twighlighttrees

Con

I will admit I was hoping someone would find this discussion interesting and attempt to take the challenge in hopes that the debate will be a learning experience. however I do not believe in any sense that my opponent has taken this debate seriously and has unfortunately ruined the experience for someone else. Of course contrary to my opponent he has supplied with no greater argument than "Oh its linked" in a sarcastic fashion. Therefore ending the debate without further detail.
Brendan_Liam

Pro

i am very serious-i am ready to debate it, and your opening post looks like the usual ones where you say'im going to use this method and to this, etc' ie setting the background for our debate... so round 1 wasnt supposed to have any arguments... did i miss something? please give me the benefit of the doubt which you should as you can easily see i havve no record of scoffing and wrecking debates-im just unusual, now please proceed with a little faith-pun intended.

salvage it with an argument on each side-i now have also wasted round 2 so its still even, just truncated.
twighlighttrees

Con

Im afraid by the nature of my first argument perhaps its myfault for not expressing it enough was intended for an initial Rebuttal argument as I am unaware how I could extended, and any further deliberation on this debate would unfortunately be not worthwhile with no rounds to argue.
Brendan_Liam

Pro

Brendan_Liam forfeited this round.
Posted by Siladheil 2 years ago
Siladheil
Will you check out this debate that I am having and write your thoughts in the comments section please?

http://www.debate.org...
Posted by Brendan_Liam 2 years ago
Brendan_Liam
from the abrahamic perspective it would have to be the latter-as god came before morality and he's omnibenevelent....yadda yadda yadda.. further, i think it was aquinas that establshied that goodness is godness, that is the human being is void of goodness themself, and only the magic god breath-which note only men have, gave him his goodness by adding some god... so no questino thats the correct abrahamic answer..... i however am not abrahamic.

INstad i would assert they are very very very linked, but inversely so. I would argue that there is nothing more immoral than avoiding ones responsibilities-that is, believing oneself to be powerless to act or change, or intervene thereby stopping evil and adding good. Because this god is all powerful, he leads to this utter immorality that this world is irrelevant and those without this god without value. So they are linked, but inversely-immorality comes from god faith, as god faith is not only fatalism but selfish fatalism-the ultimate immorality, impossible without god.

Better?
Posted by twighlighttrees 2 years ago
twighlighttrees
that's fine I was hoping for an initial argument or answer to my question at the least on the bottom of my initial argument. (that question was use intentionally to set up the debate)
Posted by Brendan_Liam 2 years ago
Brendan_Liam
and if i still messed it up, and you want me to make an argument now-let me do it in comments. if i screwed it up, im sorry, but i will give you a good debate if you let me and overlook my misunderstanding if thats what it was.
Posted by twighlighttrees 2 years ago
twighlighttrees
How can you forget my argument? it was right there
Posted by Free_Th1nker 2 years ago
Free_Th1nker
No. God, nor religion, is linked to morality.
Posted by Brendan_Liam 2 years ago
Brendan_Liam
forgot your question, and i guess id say 'neither'. sorry, it doesnt really apply, but ill await your thorough argument and then likely make sense.
Vote Placed by Codedlogic 2 years ago
Codedlogic
twighlighttreesBrendan_LiamTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con should have put forth an argument in the second round. If Con thought Pro was not taking the debate seriously they should have addressed it in the comments section. As Con did not give Pro the benefit of the doubt and forfeited the round I am awarding conduct points to Pro.