Hounds123
Zefra

Is God real?

Hounds123

Con

God has never been alive. Nor has god ever died, or even lived. God would not be known to our existences without the Bible/other religions book of story's. How can you prove that he exists, cause the creation of Earth has been proven by the "Big Bang Theory". If the Bible never existed how would we know he existed?
Zefra

Pro

My value is faith, which is the complete trust in that there is a God.

My criterion that I will use to uphold my value is philosophy, the study of fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence.

CONTENTION 1: Creation
Even though it has been said that the world was created by the "Big Bang Theory", it is still not hard to believe that the world was created by something. Where did the star that boomed come from? Nothing can come from pure nothingness - something needs to be present to make something. Even if you look at the world around us, you can see that everything comes from something else. If we think closely enough, we realize that, if everything comes from something, that there must be at least one thing, or Person, that does not. There is something out there that has always been and made everything else we know today. Who else could this be but a Creator?

CONTENTION 2: The World is too Complex
If the world was made from by accident, as the "Big Bang Theory" suggests when looking at it in an atheistic view, then would our world truly be as complex as it really is? No. Us humans can tell that, by looking around us, that Someone planned everything out. Accidents do not come out perfectly, yet planned things tend to.

CONTENTION 3: Human Reasoning
Where did we get the ability to reason? Could we truly have just had it upon accident. No; our reasoning comes from someone other than us, and it usually starts with our parents. They help us reason. However, where did the first humans get their reasoning from? Could it be an alien? No, not an alien; there is not any real "proof" that there were any aliens. Even if there were once aliens, where did they get their reasoning from? It could only be from some type of outside Force. The one who raised the first humans had reasoning; what else could this be yet a Creator? It could not be an animal, for no animal has ever had human reasoning.

CONTENTION 4: We Do Not Need the Bible in Order to Believe in God
We do not need the Bible in order to believe in God. We can tell by looking around us, studying science, and using common sense to know he is there. Science helps us, especially, in knowing that there is a God. Einstein, one of the greatest scientists in the world, knew that, after working with science, that there was a God. Why? The world was so complex, as if it was all mapped out - which, by common sense, we can see.

CONTENTION 5: By Knowing What is Right and What is Wrong
You know when you do something bad or harmful? You tend to feel bad, do you not? When you do something good or virtuous, you feel good, right? Most of us do. Why, though, do we feel this way? There is some type of law stitched into our hearts that tell us this, but the question is, where does it come from? It must come from someone who rules over us, for only those who rule do they make laws upon us. The Ruler can not be earthly. No earthly ruler has ever put a law upon all hearts.

I now end my case.
Hounds123

Con

Hounds123 forfeited this round.
Zefra

Pro

Zefra forfeited this round.
Hounds123

Con

Hounds123 forfeited this round.
Zefra

Pro

Zefra forfeited this round.
Posted by Dashley 2 years ago
Dashley
I think that everyone can have these experiences, we are spiritual beings before anything. I just think that god knows what each and everyone one of us can handle, and if he tried to reveal something like what I experienced to a non believer they would go completely insane, and end up in a asylum, and that may not be a part of his plan. At the end of these debates, it all comes down to experience. To a non believer, everything makes perfect sense, everything can be explained, there is no soul, there's only matter and that's all there is to it. What would happen to an atheist who seen a spirit right now? He would lose it, burn his physics books, and question everything he thought he knew about the world. Which would not be fun at all for an adult. Then you have people like me, who learned from a very early age that there is SO much more to life that what we can see. When it comes to God, we don't have it all figured out I mean apparently this guy is living in a dimension sooo much higher than ours we cant even begin to fathom why he created us or if he did for that matter. And that's why I'm not religious, because religions try to explain it, but whose right? Every religion has their own version of what the we call demons. Kappas in Japanese mythology, Rhakshasas in Hindu mythology, the list goes on and on, and its something that I can relate to because I've seen them and felt them, but that doesn't mean I have to pick a religion in order to be closer to God.
Posted by Dashley 2 years ago
Dashley
@missmedic, of course I've thought that maybe what I was experiencing could be explained by material causes, but then again for me to say Oh I was just "tripping," feels so wrong within my heart. I would be lying to myself if I sat here with a straight face and said none of that happened it was "leaking gas," or something of that nature. I've came to this conclusion, if demons are roaming the earth causing people like myself to grow up with anxiety issues, there has to be a God. Before that happened, demons were something I heard my older aunts and uncles talk about, didn't know what it was, or whether or not they existed. But they do, and of course for me it became a "well if demons are real, what else is out there!" We hear about God all the time, and to say the evil guys exist without the good guys doesn't even go along with how the universe works. Until this day I feel as though God allowed me to see those beings, and go through what I did so that I would know he's real. Now as far as religion goes I don't get into all of that. I like to call myself eclectic. Religions have some good things to teach us, about bettering ourselves but to go and categorize myself with either one of them would be overstepping. Its something I feel in my heart, god isn't punishing me for not being a Christian, Muslim, etc etc
Posted by missmedic 2 years ago
missmedic
I would not deny that you had an important experience. But have you considered that your experience may be explainable by purely material causes? Furthermore, people of all religions have religious experiences. Does that mean you should accept all religions? Or rather, that everyone can have such experiences, and that they do not necessarily prove that a god exists?
It is undeniable that a firm and clear conviction can have a powerful effect. But this is true of all convictions, not only religious ones.
Posted by Dashley 2 years ago
Dashley
God is real, and I'm not saying that because I want to believe I'm speaking from personal experiences, that can not be explained by any one who calls himself a "scientist." I notice that a lot of atheist use the "people just need something to believe in," as a basis for their argument. If you want to use the scientific method to back everything observable, then you should be smart enough to realize that in actuality we cant test this particular subject. Simply because it is beyond us, beyond our knowledge and dimension. I believe in god, because if demons exist, there has to be a god. If anyone is willing to travel down here and go to the old house where I seen these tall, stinking, evil beings let me know. The things that I seen would manifest themselves right in front of my eyes, why do I say that they are demons? Here are the reasons why I think they were demons. I had horrible dreams in that house, the worst being the dream I had where I found my little sister chopped up into pieces in our back yard; thats just one out of the many. Three near death experiences, contemplated suicide, and please note that I was only 7 having my 8th birthday in that house. I remember when I lived in that house I wanted to be a scientist, I still do Science has always been my best subject. My main point here is it doesn't explain everything. It cant explain what I've been through thats for sure. If your going to say well, thats not rational, my response to you is apparently god did not intend for you to be spiritually aware. At the end of the day thats all this argument is; the spiritually aware vs the not so spiritually aware.
Posted by thisnameasused 2 years ago
thisnameasused
Most of your arguments are flawed, circular and entirely subjective.
Contention 1 is an argument from ignorance
Contention 2 is the argument from complexity
Contention 3 is horribly flawed and heavily subjective
Contention 4 is also horribly subjective and you have offered your fallacious insight into Einstein's position on theism.
Contention 5 is once again horribly subjective
Overall you have no evidence to support your claims. Your arguments are weak and I hope your opponent sees this and is able to pick them apart.
Posted by Zefra 2 years ago
Zefra
"Could we truly have just had it by accident?", not "Could we truly have just had it by accident." I did not mean to type that sentence as a statement.
Posted by missmedic 2 years ago
missmedic
When someone claims to have supernatural knowledge, or the ability to gain knowledge in a way that you are unable to, their claims cannot be considered valid. If one has to accept the knowledge of others, he must use reason in order to decide which others to listen to. Again, if there is no evidence or contrary evidence for accepting a person's beliefs, it is not an act of reason. It is an act of faith. Faith is not a virtue, faith does not improve our knowledge. If there is no evidence for a claim, then accepting it is irrational. It is more likely to be false then true (since there are more false ideas then true ones, being that their is only one reality). Eventually, even if confronted with evidence against it, one's mind will be so dependent on the belief that fear of one's world view collapsing will encourage one to reject the evidence. When this happens, one acts against reality.
Posted by dsjpk5 2 years ago
dsjpk5
A very interesting debate. Let me know when it's finished.