sleepingonafallenhorizon
borealis123

Is God real?

sleepingonafallenhorizon

Con

Ok listen. Obviously there is someone or something that contributed to this world and very likely others. Man in itself did not make everything on this earth. "God", that's a very specific name passed down over the years. Just because a partial crowd believes in this "superstition" shall we say, does it mean its true? I suppose we can call that the something or someone that created this earth "God" but are we all talking about the same thing?
borealis123

Pro

Hello. This is my first time debating, so please bear with me.

First, I believe that we need to define the word "real" in order to have a good debate. The dictionary (in my case, Google) states that real means "actually existing as a thing or occurring in fact; not imagined or supposed." However, how do we know if something exists if we cannot prove it with any of our five senses? We generally consider real to be something we can see, hear, smell, touch, or taste. Once it has been identified by our senses, something is real. However, if we do not know what it is, if we do not know where it is, or if we don't even know it exists, then can we call it real? Is a planet on the other side of the galaxy not "real" because no one knows of its existence? Therefore, I will define "real" as being believed to exist by the vast majority of the population. As for vast majority, I will define it as 90% or more of our teen to adult population.

Next we will have to define "God." Is God the One True God, the Supreme Being who has created everything that ever existed? Did God establish the rules of the world? Is he one or many? Or perhaps is he just an imaginary character created by the people? I personally believe that God is the name people have given to the cause of things beyond our comprehension. This is the definition I will go by for the rest of this argument. If this differs from your opinion of God, then please say so in the next round.

According to CNN, 74 percent of adults believe in God. Of course, this is not enough to prove that God is real. However, God is still a word. Whatever meaning it has depends on the person who uses it. Just because the meaning of God differs from person to person doesn't mean that he is not real.

God(s) is used to explain things that we cannot comprehend. In ancient times, gods were fickle beings that would bless the people when they were happy and would cause raging storms when they were upset. People like to feel in control of their lives, so they used gods to explain what they could not explain with logic. By praying to gods, they felt as if they could do something about the forces of nature. Were they wrong? While science does explain many of the forces of nature, why are the laws of nature what they are? There is no proof that Ra, Poseidon, Thor, or any other god existed, but neither is there proof that they do not exist. It is still the same today. Although we have figured out many things about this world, there are still countless others that we have no clue about. Therefore, God is used to explain what happened.

You had stated that "someone or something that contributed to this world." That someone or something is God. You might not call it that, but that is the essence of the word. God may not be the Holy One who will guide all humans to Salvation. Whether or not you believe in "God" and whichever definition you use is up to you. However, if we consider God to be the one(s) who led to the creation of this world, and we all believe that someone had influenced the creation of the Earth, then we all believe in God. Therefore, God is considered to be "real."

Thank you for this wonderful topic. It is something worth debating about.

Sources: http://cnsnews.com... (just for that one statistic)
sleepingonafallenhorizon

Con

sleepingonafallenhorizon forfeited this round.
borealis123

Pro

borealis123 forfeited this round.
sleepingonafallenhorizon

Con

borealis123

Pro

borealis123 forfeited this round.
Posted by Longline 1 year ago
Longline
You all are making the same mistake that many atheist have been making and still making today.

The Word God is not a name, but a simple TITLE, GOD IS A TITLE NOT A NAME.

If you read the BIBLE THERE ARE THREE GODS IN THE BIBLE, A MERE MEN WAS CALLED A GOD, AND SATAN WAS ALSO CALLED A GOD.

Using the word GOD is like saying the lawyer, or the doctor. Now Atheist have focus on that TITLE to prove that the person behind that TITLT DOES NOT EXIST. ITS LIKE SAYING WELL A DOCTORE MEAN THIS THAT AND THIS BUT DAVID WHO IS A DOCTOR IS NOT THESE THING SO THEREFORE DAVID DOES NOT EXIST.

That is what Athiest are doing every single time and people don't see it.

The CHRISTIAN GOD HAS A NAME, IT IS THE ONLY NAME THE CHRISTIAN GOD CALLED HIMSELF IN THE BIBLE, once again not a title.

THE NAME OF THE CHRISTIAN GOD IS JEHOVAH, AND THAT HAS A MEANING BEHIND IT.
Posted by Himans45 1 year ago
Himans45
Gotta define stuff man.
Posted by borealis123 1 year ago
borealis123
Oh sorry, I made a mistake. CNN is supposed to be CNS.
I suppose I should have checked over my part more carefully.
Posted by SNP1 1 year ago
SNP1
I define god as DDO! I think that is a very easy win.
Posted by Elord 1 year ago
Elord
Yea, if you leave it that ambiguous this is to get a win.
Posted by SNP1 1 year ago
SNP1
Define god. Otherwise this is an easy win.