124275
kyleflanagan97

Is God real?

124275

124275

Pro

God is real.
kyleflanagan97

Con

God is not real.
124275

Pro

If God isn't real then how did the universe begin. A lot of people believe that one time a point exploded which formed the universe. However they can't prove the existence of this point and the idea of it breaks many known laws of science. Also, the fact that you are conscious is almost proof of a devine creator as otherwise we would all be totally predictable chemistry which we are not. Another thing is that without a God there in no reason for the universe and no reason for the laws of it. Why are the laws so constant and what upholds them.
kyleflanagan97

Con

Religion was founded at a time when nothing could be explained by fact or reason. When the Tigris or Euphrates river floods they did not know what caused it and had to find a way to rationalize it, because as humans the unknown has always been our biggest threat. Now when you mention that scientific laws were not obeyed, you have to remember that scientific laws like the first law of thermodynamics do not apply when the universe was first being formed. These laws only come in to fruition further in to universes existence. And now I ask you, is their any scientific evidence that God does exist? The Bible is a book, now while I know many people would use that as support anyone can write a book, even a very old book. Religion is based on the premise that you believe, and it provides no explanation to those who do not believe other than that they will burn in hell, but for someone who did not believe in the first place that does not frighten us.
124275

Pro

You do not give ancient people the credit they diserve. They were far more inelegant than you portray in your argument. You say that the laws of phisics don't apply as they didn't exist. So what created them? And that was before the universe? Many people like to say that they believe something once they have seen evidence for it. However, a large proportion of the universe is made up of 'dark' energy and matter. It is called dark because people don't know what it is. The only thing that scientists do say about it is that it probably makes the universe make sense.

This is because the universe don't make sense with the currant scientific theories as it is expanding at a faster rate than it should and no one can give a reason for existence of the laws. This proofs that it is just as religious to believe in science as it is to belive in GOD.
kyleflanagan97

Con

It's that as the formation of the universe continued, these laws began to form. And I do believe in something when I am presented with evidence, I have seen carbon dating evidence, evidence of dinosaurs, evidence of evolution in animals. I have not seen evidence in religion besides the bible which evidence is mute if you are not already a believer. Yes, science does take some believing in, but it takes less belief than the belief in religion. And it's not that people in ancient times were stupid, they were incredibly smart, and the discoveries they came up with were remarkable, but there were things they could just not explain, in the same way we cant currently explain dark matter, but in time scientists will be to discover more than we ever could. This is because unlike religion, science is evolving and becoming more realistic to believe in, it is gaining more support than ever. While religion remains the same.
124275

Pro

Carbon dating only goes back 50,000 years and it is irelevant as to weather God exists. If the universe had to start forming before the laws, then how was the very start to the universe governed.
kyleflanagan97

Con

carbon dating disproves parts of the bible, which is the only support for religion. Now I will say that you are simply doing the same thing that I asserted people were doing 5000 years ago. I will admit that the science does take marginal belief, but you are seeking to explain something we don't know about it, and since we do not know the answer, you chalk the explanation up to God. So yes we cannot explain everything in the founding of the universe, yet, but we will one day, and it will be explained through science. And until it can be explained this unknown frightens you, so you seek to explain it with religion.
kyleflanagan97

Con

I think you are richly helping my case, under the first argument on this website, The argument from change, it reads, "Briefly, if there is nothing outside the material universe, then there is nothing that can cause the universe to change. But it does change. Therefore there must be something in addition to the material universe. But the universe is the sum total of all matter, space and time. These three things depend on each other. Therefore this being outside the universe is outside matter, space and time. It is not a changing thing; it is the unchanging Source of change."
They are trying to explain a phenomena we do not know enough about, so how does one explain, the easy answer is to accept that it is a God, what I am saying is that the answer is still unknown, and that is okay, we continue to learn and evolve and will one day be able to explain this "outside force" with science.
Posted by Wenprada 6 months ago
Wenprada
Evidence is a profound argument against this prolonged question: "does God exist". Yes, He does. Although, I believe the evidence is right in front of you. Everything comes down to the existence of God, for example. A human. What are humans, (or any human being, for that matter), made out of? What are cells made out of? Organelles, DNA, etc. What is that made out of? Atoms. What created atoms? (Insert any scientific theory on how atoms existed). What caused this? (Crickets). Science says nothing can just appear out of nowhere. Everything traces to God being of existence. God works in mysterious ways.
Posted by 124275 6 months ago
124275
I didn't bother to read it to be honest.
Vote Placed by Adley104 6 months ago
Adley104
124275kyleflanagan97Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I had to agree with Pro because I am a Christian and It says in the bible, God created heavens and earth. but, they both had good conduct, convincing arguments, and reliable sources. Spelling and grammar has to go to Con because Pro had spelling errors.