LittleDucky555
SJM

Is Google Drive better tha iCloud?

Started: 6/15/2016 Category: Technology

LittleDucky555

Pro

Google Drive is better than iCloud because in Google Drive, you can access your stuff from anywhere, whereas in iCloud, you have a huge risk of losing all of your stuff. My uncle had to delete his computer's harddrive, so he stored his stuff in iCloud. But, when he went to get it back, it was all gone. 3000 pictures were gone. If he had stored his stuff in Google Drive, this would not have happened.
SJM

Con

You can also access your iCloud, which is why I am confused about your first statement, but you also said that you have a huge risk of losing all your stuff, which is why I am shocked since about a month ago I had lost all my documents regarding school stuff. So I guess our stories sort of cancel out. But iCloud takes takes it because if you have an iPad, iPhone, or iPod, iCloud automatically backs up you're things. And what better thing than a secure external hard drive that constantly backs up your important stuff.
"Now iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac owners can find their devices with ease. I know that feeling of having lost something so expensive and that makes this such a great security feature. Once you find your device you can remotely wipe and lock it. Not to mention send a message letting whoever is around that you (or the police) are on their way to retrieve it."
Source- http://appadvice.com...
LittleDucky555

Pro

The thing is, you can access your Google Drive from any device, including Apple mobile devices and Android devices. And, on devices with Google Chrome, you can even access your files without an internet connection. This feature also works on the apps on iPhone and Android. With iCloud, you can only access your files while you have an internet connection, and you have to have an Apple device to do so. Otherwise, it takes a long, long time to access your files.
SJM

Con

Yea but the internet argument is not even a big deal at all when you can just do it when you're anywhere with internet, which is pretty much everywhere. And you can't really change them online without internet. And his argument about how it takes time. it does not take time at all. I don't know where that came from because it comes instantly for me. This pretty much refute his whole internet argument. To add to this, he didn't refute (find my iPhone and etc), which is a very big deal. iCloud also backs up things without going to any website. "Also with iCloud, whatever you buy in iTunes, iBooks, and the App Store is immediately accessible on all your devices." These sort of things matter significantly and Google Drive doesn't provide them. And how many people now a days do you see with apple devices? It's ridiculous. In fact, they require you to have an iPad at my school.
Source- http://appadvice.com...
LittleDucky555

Pro

You mentioned that at your school you are required to have an iPad. That is only because they are portable. At my school, and across my province, the Department of Education has set every student up with a Google Drive account, because it is much easier than paying an outrageous amount of money for something you will be replacing in two years anyways. And, with Google Drive, you can still access from any device. You mentioned how you "can't really change it without internet." That is completely incorrect. You can edit all of your stuff perfectly fine on Google Chrome without internet, you just can't share it with other people, which isn't a big deal anyways. You mentioned how anything you download is immediately accessible on all of your devices. That is still incorrect. With iCloud, you still have to download it on all of your devices before you can use it on the one you didn't originally do it on. On Google Drive, anything you do is a) saved automatically into your personal Drive, and b) there is no download required.
SJM

Con

There are other devices aside from iPads that are portable, but my point was that they chose to use an Apple product. Therefore they found it to have a qualities over others. And It's not like everyone loses their Apple products over two years, people who keep it for their entire life need to a secure way to backup their important information and iCloud does it better than google drive. Your personal account does not have any matter in this since I just provided you with mine.
Then you completely misunderstood what I said, when I said you can't really change it. What I intended to say was that without the internet, when you edit a paper and let's you still haven't gotten anywhere for wifi, and someone else opens that paper document, no changes have been made until you connect to internet. And you say it isn't a big deal to share it. It isn't a big deal that you can use a typing program offline either. Pretty much all devices have typing programs or applications that you can just copy and paste into whatever you want when you get to somewhere with wifi. And I'm confused about my opponent saying it not immediately accessible, I literally just went to the website, logged in and that's it.

And extend my other arguments which include find my iPhone, the buying from iTunes part, and the amount of people with apple devices.

And also add to the fact that with iCloud things sync automatically to your calendar, mail, and contacts, which is HUGE for someone who has important things to do, reminders, and dates for anything coming up. Also those who need to check their mail and keep their contacts everywhere. "Apple's subscription-based collection of push enabled mail, contacts, and calendar apps has come to iCloud and it's free. Now just like MobileMe, your mail, contacts, calendar, notes and Safari bookmarks all sync over the cloud and to your devices wirelessly."
LittleDucky555

Pro

Before posting my argument about having no internet, I actually disabled the wi-fi on my computer, shared it with my other Google account, and tried it out, and th saved changes did actually show up. This brings me back to the fact that to use iCloud you have to have an internet connection/data on the iPhone. With iCloud, you cannot share your documents with anyone without emailing them, and even them they can only view what you've done. With Google Drive, you can give people viewing, commenting, or editing privileges for your documents, which is a huge advantage in group projects. With iCloud, you have to actually be in the same spot to work on the project together, but with Google Drive, you could be 10000 mile away from each other and still work on it together. You provided no evidence when saying that iCloud backs up your stuff bettr than Google Drive, and I have evidence of how Google Drive does it better than iCloud. With Google Drive, you can safely store all of your pictures, videos, documents, and more, and you can even group them into different files if you need to With iCloud, you have a huge risk of losing all of your stuff, as I mentioned in Round 1. You also mentioned that not everyone loses their Apple products over two years. What Apple does is that they make new models every year to out date the old one, and they make it so that the battery only holds about 400 full charges before the quality of the charge goes down. This means, if you harge your Apple product once every two days, it will hold, guess what? About two years of good charges. I think I have made my point clear in this round.
SJM

Con

My opponent starts off by saying that he had no internet and then shared it, then saw the changes on the computer. However that's because once you connect to the website the changes happen immediately. It doesn't happen while you have no internet because it is impossible to change things on the internet without internet. My opponent then goes on to say that you need internet to use iCloud, but I already explained in past arguments why it does not matter at all.

Then my opponent says that you can't edit files with iCloud like google drive, but that is yet another matter that doesn't matter because someone can just easily use some other thing to work on a paper and then submit to iCloud. It is meaningless to state things that something can do which i easily done by anything else. Like for example, saying that your phone is better because you can look at it, even though you can look at other things as well.

Then my opponent makes the argument that he has evidence google drive saves things better than iCloud, which is from a PERSONAL account, iCloud had screwed someone over, but yet I have also said google drive has done the same thing for me.
Therefore the personal accounts cancel out, and can't be counted as evidence.

Then makes a mistake by arguing that apple product batteries have a life span of two years before they go out forever, but this simply not true. Experts say "After 400 complete cycles, the iPhone"s battery still has 80 percent of its charged capacity," Joswiak said. "And by a complete charge cycle, I mean completely draining the battery, a full chemical cycle." In other words, using a little battery and then putting your iPhone back in its dock doesn"t count as a charge cycle. If you use a quarter of your iPhone"s battery and then re-charge it, Joswiak said, that"s the equivalent of a quarter of a charge cycle." This is a direct counter to my opponent's argument and is therefore successfully refuted.

Extend my past arguments.

Sources- http://www.macworld.com...
LittleDucky555

Pro

I have made all of my valid points, and I hope that the voters will make the right choice. Vote Pro.
SJM

Con

Since my opponent didn't refute any of the arguments I made last round and he hasn't attacked my extended arguments. All the points made in the previous rounds go to me. I thank my opponent for this debate and also anyone who is voting. Thank you.
Posted by SJM 8 months ago
SJM
Yea sure, why not. :)
Posted by LittleDucky555 8 months ago
LittleDucky555
@SJM we should do more debates against each other after this one. These are good arguments.