Faze_Shark22
Zarium

Is Grand theft auto bad for teenagers

Started: 1/14/2016 Category: Games

Faze_Shark22

Con

I think that Gta is bad for teenagers because it shows bad examples to teenagers and teenagers will think it's cool. All those shootings wouldn't have happened if teenagers didn't play Grand theft auto
Zarium

Pro

Whilst my stance in this debate is on the 'Pro' side, I will debate this with you after setting some definitions :

Stance :
My Stance on this debate is as follows; Gaming in general can assist players with a myriad of skills and helps build mental 'pathways' to assist with logical deduction.
I do not agree with the statement that Shootings would not have occurred if teenagers didn't play GTA (Or any game, for that matter).

Definition :

"Cool"
"adjective
1.
of or at a fairly low temperature.
"it'll be a cool afternoon"
synonyms:chilly, cold; More
2.
showing no friendliness towards a person or enthusiasm for an idea or project.
"he gave a cool reception to the suggestion for a research centre"
synonyms:unenthusiastic, lukewarm, tepid, indifferent, apathetic, half-hearted, negative; More
noun
1.
a fairly low temperature.
"the cool of the night air"
synonyms:chill, chilliness, coldness; More
2.
calmness; composure.
"he recovered his cool and then started laughing at us"
verb
1.
become or make less hot.
"we dived into the river to cool off"
synonyms:chill, refrigerate, make cold/colder More"

I assume you are pertaining to the second definition under Adjective. Please confirm so we are discussing the same definition.

I would also like for you to expand upon the fact that it 'shows bad examples to teenagers' - As this is a broad statement for such a refined topic.

I wish my opponent a good debate, though I sincerely hope I can persuade your opinion on the matter.
Faze_Shark22

Con

Alright you can show friendliness but sometimes that won't happen maybe they can be jerks or hackers and screw up your game
Zarium

Pro

Well that may be true, but how does someone happening to be a jerk or a hacker screwing up your games cause more mass shootings, or imply that Grand Theft Auto is bad for Teenagers?

That seems less that Grand Theft Auto is bad for teenagers, and more of 'Teenagers are bad for other teenagers', or 'hackers are bad for teenagers', in my opinion.

I will extend to my opponent another opportunity to secure their position and explain further why this debate was raised.
I would like to urge my opponent to use as many of the characters as you can, that you have allocated to this debate to explain further, as a single sentence is far from sufficient to not only debate, but to express your own opinion.

I would like to welcome my Opponent to try as hard as you can to reply as much as possible - as I believe many people want to write more in these debates, but are hesitant to open themselves up to criticism. If this is the case, I would like to let you know that I will not look upon your response as negative, as I attempt to understand the perspective you come from, instead of the words you use to get them across.

Please - Tell me why you believe this is happening, I would like to discuss this with you.
Faze_Shark22

Con

Why is gta bad for teenagers... because you can go to the strip club have sex smoke crack you can get a lap dance all those things are bad you can all so cause chaos in the city by killing them you can all so rob banks all those things are bad. Thats why gta is inappropriate for teenagers because they think all that stuff is good!!!
Zarium

Pro

I can do all those things (albeit the crack part) - In real life. Most of them I do, however not all the time - They are not illegal or immoral to do, again - excluding the sex with strippers and crack part!

This does not negate the fact they are bad, however the option to do all these things are options that are available in real life - the game just has no consequences for your actions (I.e. you die or get arrested, and the next scene is him leaving the building) - That is the only difference.

I do not accept that teenagers believe that all those things are good, Just because someone is able to simulate it in a virtual game, does not mean their definitions of morality are warped - you know shooting someone is wrong, you know stealing is wrong, you know having sex with a hooker is illegal and wrong. Some people do these things anyway, they are called criminal delinquents - they don't care that they know it is wrong, they just do it anyway.

On the flip side - How many teenagers have gone against their parents, simply because they were told not to do it all the time - they finally get old enough, or get away and the opportunity arises to do it (Case in point - Teenagers coming home from Spring break, or their first trip abroad with piercing or tattoos, or even unexpected bumps - or rings on their fingers!) - People telling people not to do things generally makes them want to do it more - Tell someone not to press the big red button, the first impulse they have is to press it to see why.

I assert that this game does not cause problems for teenagers - But helps those gullible enough to think they can do those things (Such as shoot public places up or steal from businesses), that you will not win this 'game' we call life that way, and you will spend the next 50 years teaching Bo-Bo how to read so he stops other inmates from...... "Things".....

It will also help those that have obsessive disorders, or have some sort of chemical imbalances that cause them to feel uncontrollable rage - they get to exert their emotions into a situation that has no consequences - Basically you can kill, shoot, steal or hurt anyone you want - And you don't get in trouble. It gets all that rage out of your system if you want it too - There are actually games specifically designed for that exact purpose, however GTA has the concept in games, and it just so happens to relieve stress.

Some people go into another level after that and cannot decipher the real from the virtual, or their rage is uncontrollable, so they can cause some trouble, however these are usually refined to psychological disorders, and cannot be held against the general populous - they are 'black sheep', so they cannot be the only reason this game is considered a bad influence... They may watch a video on WWII and get the same reaction - we cannot tell.

Conclusion :

I have shown that GTA can be attributed to stress release, source to enforce this below :
http://www.science20.com...

I have shown by common sense that playing a game does not warp the sense of reality to make things previously considered morally bad - do not somehow become 'hip, cool new things' to do.

I look forward to your response Con, Thank you :)
Faze_Shark22

Con

Faze_Shark22 forfeited this round.
Zarium

Pro

Unfortunately we have not had any response from Con - Unfortunately as the next round is the final, I will put the condition that no further new points be raised - I leave the next round for Con to counter my raised points, and to provide a Conclusion if they wish.
Faze_Shark22

Con

Faze_Shark22 forfeited this round.
Zarium

Pro

Unfortunately this debate has grounded to a halt.

Another fun fact that GTA can provide - It can noticeably increase one's retention to a subject - So one can engage upon a task or discussion, and maintain focus throughout the entire scenario.

As there has been no update since my previous conclusion, I will make no changes to my stance. For ease of reading - I have copied the conclusion below :

Conclusion :

http://www.science20.com......

Posted by Zarium 1 year ago
Zarium
Haha, as Captain Barbossa so eloquently put it "They are more of a guideline.... than actual rules."

The ratings that are provided by ESRB are for sales of games, not necessarily the age that one must be to play the game.
The fact teenagers play the game further cements that in.

The ESRB are designed to provide parents with a simple, yet effective means of understanding the topics of the game, without spoiling the game play itself (You see a Mature M 17+ game, you assume this game will have concepts that are not recommended, or are outside the scope of younger children). Each person is unique in their understanding, so there is no accurate way of determining when one person is "ready" to play specific content, I know some 30 year olds' that should be playing with Play-Do, yet they race around on vehicles that are poorly maintained, and will cause serious damage.

On the flip side, I know of a 12 year old, who has spoken of and explained concepts that I had not even though of before, I know which of those two examples I would give a Mature content game too first (Hint for the answer : The winner still believes in Santa Claus, he also cannot drive).
Posted by TheRealGod 1 year ago
TheRealGod
Con why did you just not use the ESRB rating? Lol rated M for mature 17+
Posted by Zarium 1 year ago
Zarium
Ahh! I 'speed-read' the definition of Cool - Apologies.

Basically my definition of cool is that others believe a topic to be of social or cultural importance.
Posted by SmallTacos 1 year ago
SmallTacos
Why are you Con when you're in support of this? Otherwise, I would accept.