pie-thing
PatriotPerson

Is Green Lantern a bad movie?

PatriotPerson

pie-thing

Pro

I think that the movie Green Lantern was bad. I did not like that Sinestro was a good guy. I also don't like the bad guy. He was a big fear cloud. I'm just saying they could have made the movie much more fun and active. Like if Sinestro was the bad guy there would have been so much more fighting. All I am saying is that the people that made the movie could have made much more fun to watch.
PatriotPerson

Con

Accepted. Pro will now make his first argument.
pie-thing

Pro

PatriotPerson

Con

Pro has made his exact same argument as round 1. However, like every good debater does, I shall counter that argument.

1. First of all, Pro makes the argument that Sinestro was a good guy, and thus making the movie worse.
This stays true to the comic books. The Green Lantern movie was made to movie-tize the origins and first adventures of Hal Jordan's GL. In these first adventures, Sinestro was one of the best and most well-respected members of the Green Lantern Corps. You see, this is exactly what he was in the movie. So, the movie gets props for that, since it is well-based on the comics. Sinestro was, as I have already said, a hero in the GL corps. Then, he was banished by the Gurdians or Masters or whatever they're called because his actions were way too violent and he got kinda crazy. Hoping to exact his revenge, Sinestro leaves the Green Lantern Corps, and absorbs himself with fear to become a Yellow Lantern (the after-credits scene). Thus making him a new villain that will most likely appear in the sequel, Green Lantern 2. But since the movie got a not-so-swell reception, we may not see a sequel. We are probably more likely to get a reboot.

2. The "bad guy" was not a "fear cloud". The villain's name was Parallax, one of the most prominent GL corps enemies. He is also not a cloud, he is a demonic entity that is formed by the yellow-colored fear of others. He's a demon. Not a cloud.

3. I do agree with you that there would be more fighting if Sinestro was the villain. However, as I already stated in my #1 paragraph, he couldn't have been the villain. Parallax was obviously the better choice over Sinestro because he was a great method to build up the story. I will now provide sources:

Sinestro Corps (Yellow Lantern Corps): http://en.wikipedia.org...
Parallax: http://en.wikipedia.org...(comics)

If you could also watch the two videos, that would be great.
pie-thing

Pro

Thank you for showing us why Sinestro was good and, the bad guy's name. I noticed that you did not say much about how the movie was good or not. You just gave us some facts. I still don't know if you liked the movie or not.
PatriotPerson

Con

Sir, my job in this debate was to counter your arguments that were saying why it was bad. Which is exactly what I did, isn't it? It's quite obvious that I liked the movie. Ya know, that's why I'm con.
Vote Placed by imabench 3 years ago
imabench
pie-thingPatriotPersonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro kinda gave up in the last round and left all of con's well sources and well thought out arguments unrefuted even though it really was an awful movie.....
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
pie-thingPatriotPersonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con does not need to disagree with the resolution, to give a better argument... CONDUCT: Pro effectively skipped a round, by just repeating R1 in R2. ARGUMENT: Con shot holes in pro's case, and provided geek information for why the movie was the way it was (which does not make it good, but pro didn't have much of a case for it sucking). SOURCES: Con shared his research, plus that good Mark Strong scene (probably the best part of that movie).