TheDebater1
drew459

Is Guantanamo Bay a good or a bad facility

TheDebater1

Con

I believe that Gunatanamo Bay is a bad idea.

According to the eigth amandment of the constitution of the United States of America, no unusual or cruel punishments bestowed on people. I believe that this is Rumsfeld doing and that Barack Obama didn't have the balls to do anything. But, I cannot ignore the fact that torture and other extreme punishments are being forced onto muslims. They may have done bad things, i will get a lot of hate for this. The people locked at Guantanamo Bay deserve to go to jail, but never ever deserve to be tortured for a life time
drew459

Pro

I support Gitmo
You are wrong in that the US Constitution and the 8th Amendment applies to citizens of the US, not any terrorists. I'd assume you believe enhanced interrogation techniques are a violation of human rights but isn't terrorism the same? Why should we show respect and restraint to such barbarians and to people who would be more than happy to do worse to us? I support Guantanamo because I believe not only its' information but its' reputation are valuable to national and homeland security. There is a major difference between torture and interrogation. Torture is purely used to hurt another individual, which you can see used by terrorists today and governments throughout history towards people to bestow fear upon the enemy, but the "torture" at Gitmo is actually interrogation, and not all interrogations are as bad as they seem. The thing with interrogation is that after a certain point of pain an individual won't want to talk, interrogation is a delicate balance of mental and physical deprivation and manipulation. Now if you want to talk about torture I suggest you look at punishments in places like Saudi Arabia, where a lone Journalist is receiving 1000 lashes for criticizing the government.

Thank you very much for this opportunity I look forward to my first debate!!!
TheDebater1

Con

Yes, it is true that terrorists are bad people. They hurt people, but think about this. Wouldn't we be the same as the terrorists if we hurt them the way they hurt us. I am not feeling bad for them, I am simply stating the rights each of us have as equals. Those scumbag terrorists have violated those rights, but we shouldn't violate theirs, because then we're nothing but hypocrites. I'm not saying that they should run Scot free but the Judicial branch should do something about it. Another bad thing is that I go around and hear people say that the Islamic religion is a religion of terrorism. The believe of Allah is to respect all others and never discriminate each other. These terrorists aren't Muslims. When will people get that. Stop for a moment and look in my point of view. Stop, and read. Stop, and think. Do not sympathize for them. Think of ourselves as beings with morale and those terrorists merely as animals. But, keep those animals in a small cage, but do not torture them. If we torture them, what is the point of morale. Answer that.
drew459

Pro

First off, Islam is not a terrorist religion, but these are Muslims and the Muslim people must continue to condemn them. Here is our morale, it is to stop the bad guys, to be the sheep dog. When a group of people begins to murder anyone that doesn't agree with them we have to step in, and many we jail. But when we are after the bigger targets we need to do something to get information so we interrogate. I would not like this to turn into a debate on religion I would like to keep it strictly about Gitmo. You seem to be contradicting yourself though, saying they should get no respect or kind treatment, but that we should be moral... the way I look at this they are not citizens of any country and they should not be treated as such. Gitmo is a facility that is needed and I feel more comfortable with a facility like that located outside of the continental US and not right next door.
TheDebater1

Con

You do not seem to get my point, I can see that. Call it interrogation or just extracting information this is torture. I can tell you a source of a video I watched which tells you what goes on in Guantanamo Bay or GITMO. Ignore that the people locked there have done wrong things and that the guards there torture them. Think of them as paper men. Now imagine that the guard, makes a little hole in one of the prisoners. Initially, you would think they deserve it, but these are terrorists these are paper men. If they were normal people you would say that's wrong. I think any person would say that. I do not blame you that you think it's right, I originally thought they deserved it too. Then suddenly realised we are all papermen, and there are bad papermen and good ones. The good ones keep the bad one in a cage, and that's all. And carefully proceed to extract information in a non-violent manner. Please, look in my point of view. No one deserves to be treated like that.
drew459

Pro

First off, not every prisoner at Gitmo is interrogated in a violent manner, many aren't even interrogated. Thanks to CNN and action TV shows, people assume GItmo is just a dark deep prison of torture when in reality it is a maximum security facility. The detainees are allowed recreation, prayer, and even given a copy of the koran. Most of this "torture" is psychological and not physical. Plus most forms of "torture" you hear about are a punishment for their behavior while in jail or must be done. Many prisoners attempt to starve themselves, so they must be force fed. Many attempt to hurt themselves, so they must be tied down. And let's stop with the hypotheticals these aren't pieces of paper or anything they are animals and they are barbaric. They are one in 7.5 billion and they are awful beings and they must be dealt with and not kept in a comfortable cell for the rest of their life getting fed, clothed, and educated for free.
Posted by drew459 2 years ago
drew459
Thanks for debating me! I had a lot of fun for my first debate!