Mak-zie
flash7221

Is Harry Potter better than Twilight?

Mak-zie

Mak-zie

Pro

Which is better: the Harry Potter series or the Twilight Saga?
My stand: The Harry Potter Series.
I will state my reasons and expand on them next round.
1. Twilight is anti-feminist.
2. Twilight is only directed at one age group.
3. Twilght is poorly written.
4. Twilight characters are one-dimensional.
5. Twilight is predictable.
6. Twilight wouldn't even be around without Harry Potter.
7. In Harry Potter, you never know what will happen.
8. Little details in earlier HP books unravel into significance in the later books.
9. Harry Potter can stand the test of time.
10. HP has a theme park.
11. Harry Potter's characters are known for personalities, not looks.
12. Dobby's death vs. Bella's (technically)
13. Characters like Snape vs. Edward
14. Characters die in Harry Potter.

HP=Harry Potter
flash7221

Con

i accept this challege.
i personally hate both, BUT,
Twilight and Harry Potter and two differant kinds of books.
Twilight
1. More drama
2. mainly for girls
3.vampires, not magic
4.differant time zones, twilight is modern day, with super powers.
5.twilight has very differant setting, problem, and climax.
so you are saying that two things almost completely differant kind of movies and books, that one is better that the other?
it is truely about opinion. Harry Potter is all fantasy(like twilight) with magic, wizards, way back in time, and small amount of drama. this would be better if you compared to movies/books that were similar to one another, like the Sourcer's Apprentice, and Harry Potter.
therefor, i cannot provide much more of an argument to this. its all about opinion and differant styles of movies/books.
Mak-zie

Pro

My opponent:
I am not comparing the types of movies/books rather than the quality of them. Any types of books may be compared on their quality and writing style. Opinion, yes, speaking for all Potterheads.
On my previous points:

1. Twilight is anti-feminist-Bella always relies on the males around her-Edward and Jacob-and literally fell apart when Edward left. On the other hand, Hermione is the cleverest of her friends and is independant.
2. Twilight is only directed at one age group-teenage girls. I don't know any young boys or older women that are absolutely crazy about the series, while I see Harry Potter bridge together generations.
3. Twilght is poorly written-enough said.
4. Twilight characters are one-dimensional-compare Snape to any character in Twilight. Throughout the book, you see all sides of Snape and never know what side he's on. On Twilight, every character is either good or evil, with no suprise.
5. Twilight is predictable-The same plot happens over and over in every book, like every other vampire book. There have been no books like HP out there, in comparison. Also, see what I've said earlier.
6. Twilight wouldn't even be around without Harry Potter-HP started getting kids reading-and actually liking it. No one can argue with that. If it weren't for the success of Harry Potter, Twilight probably wouldn't even be here.
7. In Harry Potter, you never know what will happen-See predictable and others. It is the complaint of many Twilight fans and non-fans.
8. Little details in earlier HP books unravel into significance in the later books-Harry speaking Parseltounge (talking to snakes) in the second one, and Tom Riddle's diary, also in the second book. They both become very significant details in the last book. Twilight didn't have any sense of that.
9. Harry Potter can stand the test of time-Harry Potter has been along TWICE as long as Twilight and still more popular. This proves that Twilight will just be a craze, but HP is here to stay.
10. HP has a theme park-Again, enough said.
11. Harry Potter's characters are known for personalities, not looks-In Harry Potter, the characters personalities are emphazied, rather than their looks, though they are mentioned, too. In Twilight, you don't really know about their personalities, but their looks are emphasized over and over.
12. Dobby's death vs. Bella's (technically)-JKR (author of HP) knows how to pull at the heartstrings of readers, unlike Meyer. (Twilight author) There aren't many characters that die in Twilight, but those who do, they aren't very emotional. But in Harry Potter, I have to say I cried when Dobby died.
13. Characters like Snape vs. Edward-No comparison. Edward is "perfect," but main characters have to have flaws. Otherwise it just isn't interesting. Harry is full of flaws, and it plays out perfectly in the books.
14. Characters die in Harry Potter-honestly, that's what makes them interesting, and on the edge-of-your-seat.

I will list resources next round.
flash7221

Con

my opponent has only repeated what she has said in the first argument, i have no other argument because i do not like both of the books. but someone needed to be against it, so i accepted. now you can vote on whoes argument is better, or what book you like more/movie.
Mak-zie

Pro

Contrary to what my opponent said, I was not repeating myself in the second round but elaborating on the reasons I had listed in round one, as I had said I would.
Also, the media has been calling Twilight "the next Harry Potter," so I think it is altogether fitting for me to be comparing these two books/movies, as both authors are speaking directly to people all around the world.

Finally, I think that I'll let author Steven King finally settle this debate:
"Harry Potter is about confronting fears, finding inner strength and doing
what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it
is to have a boyfriend." - Stephen King

My sources: I went around to numerous Harry Potter and Twilight websites, but anything there I had already thought of so really the only website I used was this below to find the Steven King quote. The Harry Potter and Twilight books were of course my main resources.
http://fierceandnerdy.com...
flash7221

Con

no further argument. continue the votes.
Posted by flash7221 2 years ago
flash7221
great vote bomb
Posted by flash7221 2 years ago
flash7221
Where did I say I wanted to have voting rights?
Posted by The_Reformation 2 years ago
The_Reformation
Twilight is god awful. Even if the Pro stands against it I'm still mad it was even brought up. Twilight is no doubt, THE worst single piece of literature written by any human being. Cave paintings had less predictable plots.
Posted by CoolPapa 2 years ago
CoolPapa
I am disappointed with con because he accepted the debate not because he wanted to but because he wanted to have voting rights and thus but forward a debate that was lack luster. I am sure that there is some twi-hard that would be willing to debate this.
Posted by AdamRLCaulfield 2 years ago
AdamRLCaulfield
I don't know who you are pro but I want to hug you. You stated everything I hate about twilight.
Vote Placed by PlanetTutTutTurtle 2 years ago
PlanetTutTutTurtle
Mak-zieflash7221Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Harry Potter all the way--and no contest Pro had the better arguments. Con didn't even try.
Vote Placed by kyro90 2 years ago
kyro90
Mak-zieflash7221Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Nice job but I will always go for Twilight.
Vote Placed by YoungBrain 2 years ago
YoungBrain
Mak-zieflash7221Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro pissed me off with her anti-feminist statement. As a female, I wish other females would quit this feminist nonsense and act like females. Also, Twilight is a completely different book than Harry Potter. Twilight is a very good paranormal love story and Harry Potter is a very good adventure/magic story. Whether or not Harry Potter type stories are better than love stories is an opinion.
Vote Placed by imabench 2 years ago
imabench
Mak-zieflash7221Tied
Reasons for voting decision: con needs to stop accepting every debate and screwing them up....
Vote Placed by Ron-Paul 2 years ago
Ron-Paul
Mak-zieflash7221Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Counter VB.
Vote Placed by lightskinnedblackkid 2 years ago
lightskinnedblackkid
Mak-zieflash7221Tied
Reasons for voting decision: con