Jedd
Royal_Army_Chemist

Is Heaven real?

Jedd

Jedd

Con

Heaven: a place of supreme bliss eternally in the presence of God after death, a place regarded in various religions as the abode of God (or the gods) and the angels, and of the good after death, often traditionally depicted as being above the sky.
Real: actually existing as a thing or occurring in fact; not imagined or supposed.

Round 1-3: Unrestricted.
Round 4: No new arguments.

Pro argues that Heaven is real, Con argues that Heaven is not real.

Burden of proof is on pro since the if Con rebuts, the lack of evidence is the evidence needed to disprove something exists.

-No trolls
-Only theists who believe in Heaven can accept
__________________________________________________________________
Basic opening point: Heaven is just made up. Nobody wants to accept the fact that if they die, they simply stop existing. No soul transports, no infinite escalators, no strange light. If people were brave enough to accept the inevitable fate, the concept of a Heaven would just be destroyed.
Royal_Army_Chemist

Pro

Please start by defining the word "real" so that I know what I need to prove in order to win this debate. By the way, I am thrilled about your icon - I think that it is going to"prove" to be very fitting for our discussion!
Jedd

Con

Haha thanks, I love Doge. Thank you for accepting the debate, and welcome to debate.org!

I have already defined the word. Real: actually existing as a thing or occurring in fact; not imagined or supposed. You need to prove that Heaven is actually existing as a thing or occurring in fact, not imagined or supposed to win this debate.

Alright, to not waste any rounds, I'll begin first by stating perhaps the main reason why people believe in a Heaven. It's comforting. We, humans now have the privilege of being in this wonderful world. But only for several decades. That's a really scary thought, I've been there. The idea of immortality, having your soul living eternally in a place of pure serenity is wildly comforting. If you've contracted a horrible disease, would you prefer a doctor to tell you 'you're fine' instead of 'you're horribly sick?' What's comforting is not always true, nor is it always better.

Heaven is one smart scam too. Has anyone actually seen Heaven? No, only the dead get to see it. All you need to do is worship me and I'll give you ten billion dollars but in order to claim it you must live in isolation with no communication at all. Sound familiar?

I'm here to say just because something is comforting doesn't mean it's the best. It's better to accept there is no immortality or no ready paradise for you. We were born into existence (not because of God, by the way), and why not use this limited time to experience everything around us. To question everything. To make our own purpose. To be curious. This is the problem with religion, seeding these thoughts into children and everyone that you must obey, everything already has an answer, and critical thinking and curiosity means eternal torture, while blind faith promises a paradise.
Royal_Army_Chemist

Pro

Royal_Army_Chemist forfeited this round.
Jedd

Con

As pro forfeited I will use this opportunity to say: there is an absolute about of zero evidence supporting 'heaven'.

Just that. I don't really know what else to say. As I cannot disprove Leprechauns too, burden of proof is on Pro.
Royal_Army_Chemist

Pro

Jedd

Con

Royal_Army_Chemist

Pro

My opponent has defined real as "actually existing as a thing or occurring in fact; not imagined or supposed". For my opening argument, I would like to ask my opponent to prove that he/she is real. If my opponent can not prove this fact, then it is not reasonable for me to be able to prove the same about heaven. If my opponent is not real, then it is not reasonable for me to waste time debating with my opponent.
Posted by Jedd 1 year ago
Jedd
It's their job to support its existence then
Posted by PTW 1 year ago
PTW
"Does heaven exist?", in a word NO!!. Neither does hell!!.
Posted by Jedd 1 year ago
Jedd
I hate people who forfeit...
Posted by Jedd 1 year ago
Jedd
Pro, I meant
Posted by Jedd 1 year ago
Jedd
It's up to Con to present those evidence then
Posted by Longline 1 year ago
Longline
this is stupid. the proof you are looking of for heaven is unreachable. why, Because heaven is a intangible dimension that only spiritual being can enter. So if you want evidence you need to talk to Jesus himself, sense he is the only being ever to transcend into a human and then back into a spiritual being. i human can not provide that kind of evidence. only the Bible. And the evidence the Bible hold is also intangible. That is why in order to have hope in God you must believe and intangible act by us.

The only evidence of a real Heaven in the Bible. But then again that depend on what kind of evidence you are looking for.
Posted by Jerry947 1 year ago
Jerry947
I would not say that refuting claims is evidence. And showing evidence against unicorns is not that difficult unless you are talking about rhinos which are sometimes called unicorns.
Posted by Jedd 1 year ago
Jedd
Well, it's the point of the debate for Pro to present the evidence, and it's my job to rebut. I cannot disprove Heaven as you cannot disprove unicorns. In this case of a claim that Heaven exists, the rebuttal of those claims is sufficient, and only evidence to disprove that claim.
Posted by Jerry947 1 year ago
Jerry947
What? Lack of evidence is not evidence against the existence of something. At one time people were unaware of the evidence for the existence of atoms but this doesn't mean that they had evidence against atoms.
Vote Placed by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
JeddRoyal_Army_ChemistTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture