YatesUni
abbeyb23

Is "Her body her choice" a valid argument?

YatesUni

Con

Just about every time there is a debate on abortion, it is inevitable that the pro choice party claims that because it is the women's body, it's her choice whether the baby can live or not. I have posted this because I believe that it is an irrelevant argument. It has nothing to to in a debate of morals.
First of all, the choice is made when you choose to have sex. I am not saying you can't have sex the way you want, but when you have sex you should know the consequences, and if you get pregnant, that does not justify the denial of life.
Also, the right to ones time doesn't equal another's right to life. Pro choice people will often give you complicated reasons to justify abortions, but in nearly every single case, those are not the core of there beliefs, they simply want to be able to do what they want and not have to pay the consequences.
Also, saying her body her choice, you imply this it concerns no one except the would-be mother, but what about the father? I don't see why the father of the child would have no say in the abortion. Just because the mother has to carry it why does the father have to live with knowing that he will never know how the child could have lit up his life. Why should he have to live with that? For the mothers convenience?
You simply can't make a valid argument with these four words, as they leave far to much out of the equation.
abbeyb23

Pro

A woman should be allowed to do whatever she wants with her body under the right circumstances. I understand why you would want the father to have a say in it, but what if the father isn't a good man? What if the woman was raped, or is in no way shape or form ready to be a mother? Why should she be forced to have the kid? In my eyes, its wrong to bring an unwanted child into the earth. Sure, you could give it up for adoption, but what are the chances it will end up in the wrong home or better yet, a foster home or orphanage? The world is already overpopulated, so women should be allowed the choice to do what they want with their bodies. First of all, not all women choose to have sex. Unfortunately, in the world we live in, women get raped a lot. There is a countless amount of scenarios in which a woman could have non-consensual sex. Imagine how many date-rape babies would be born if women weren't allowed to do what they want with their bodies. How many unwanted children that could warrant. Can't you see the rise in the amount of homeless people that would eventually cause? All of the sudden jobs are harder to get because there are more people than jobs. Women have never been allowed full control over their bodies. In the U.S. government, there are barely any female senators. How would you feel if a bunch of old white men got to tell you what to do with your body? Second of all, if that's what women want to do with their life, why shouldn't they be allowed to? You can argue morals all you want, but some people don't have them, and many peoples belief systems differ. The way I see it, men have been allowed to walk away from their children and leave a single mother with hardly any judgement. Why can't women do the same? Why is there a stigma that women must want kids or that they must have them? What if they just don't want them? Some men don't want children, and that's socially acceptable. But men still contribute to the problem. Lastly, the father definitely should have a say if he's a good man. But if the father is a good man, why would there even be an argument? The thing is, good men help and support the women they impregnate and come to logical conclusions because their good. But not every father deserves a chance to help make that decision. At the end of the day, if hes ready to be a parent and she isn't, she's the one who has to carry the human for 9 months and primarily care for it for a long time. Both parents need to be ready to commit.

You simply couldn't say much otherwise when you think about the bigger picture here!
Posted by YatesUni 9 months ago
YatesUni
@Backcommander Why is it that if the parents didn't want the baby it completely diminishes its value? If they did want it then it's accepted as alive, you could even be tried for murdering it. I find no reason why the parents get to chose the fetuses worth. When you have sex, you know the consequences, you know that no plan is full proof, and you cannot determine the value of a child based on how many steps you took not to have it.
Posted by YatesUni 9 months ago
YatesUni
Posted by BackCommander 9 months ago
BackCommander
YatesUni I was hoping you'd say something of that sort. So if someone were having sex safely, like while wearing a condom and/or a diaphragm being used and/or the woman taking birth control pills, it's safe sex. Therefore, by your logic, someone who is having sex safely is not at fault for their pregnancy should it occur. Just as those safely driving aren't at fault. Once again, those are conclusions drawn using the logic in your statements.

cwt002 It was a question that only mattered if the answer was given by Con. It was weighted to make the point that these two situations, while completely unrelated, both involve an outcome that most who engage in them don't seek. Using some form of birth control isn't sure to prevent pregnancy, just as a seat belt isn't sure to prevent your injury or death.

I'm not making an argument for or against abortion. I'm simply pointing out a gaping hole in the logic used by most people who actively appose abortion. People have sex all the time, constantly, around the world. Some are degenerate, ignorant, immoral people who most people imagine when they argue that people should just not have sex. Though plenty of upstanding members of society who are morally sound have sex as well. Should everyone just stop having sex unless its specifically to have a child? Try telling that to every person of generation x and older who waited until they were married to have sex. They'll probably take a leftist stance of "You can't tell me what I can and can't do with my body."
Posted by Skinnyp 9 months ago
Skinnyp
Pros argument was a bit dumb
Posted by YatesUni 9 months ago
YatesUni
@backcommander If they were driving unsafely, then it is there fault.
Posted by YatesUni 9 months ago
YatesUni
Posted by cwt002 9 months ago
cwt002
Really, the whole debate should only revolve around if the child is living in the womb. The only real argument I can see is if the mother's life is really threatened. I do not think rape is as applicable because rape is terrible and wrong, also abortion can be wrong as well.

@BackCommander I am not sure I see the parallel. Yes, a risk in driving a car is a potential car accident and when you choose to have sex a potential risk is getting pregnant. So what are you saying, I need more clarification.
Posted by BackCommander 9 months ago
BackCommander
"The choice is made when you choose to have sex" By that logic, anyone who dies in a car accident is to blame for it, for choosing to get into a vehicle knowing that one of the possible outcomes of that event is fiery vehicular death, right?
Posted by lannan13 9 months ago
lannan13
If you want to do a general abortion debate I can take it and you can send me the challenge.