happy2b
shreya

Is Home Schooling The Answer

happy2b

Pro

Perhaps home schooling is the answer for many families, considering how high the drop out rates are, the schools are trying to teach morals, discipline, or fashion.
The schools are blaming parents, the Government and the children on the drop out rate, refusing to improve the system that is failing many children.
It is the teacher's job to give a basic education so that children will be prepared for college.
It is not their job to raise our children, to teach morals, how to dress, or to discourage them by punishing them for forgetting to wear the school badge.
It is the parent's job to make sure their children receive an education, have good moral standing, and become law abiding, productive adults in our society.
So I don't see any problems with a parent teaching their child at home, or even finding a private school that has a low to no drop out rate.
shreya

Con

Firstly i would like to say that a frog who has grown up in a well does'nt know that how much big is the ocean.same way a child who receives education at home has many restrictions he cant develop qualities required for an individual to face the world.
Secondly the parent whoes teaching the child must put a hold on their career and even when the child goes for seeking job the public school student will be given more preference.
Hence i think that home schooling is not a good option.
happy2b

Pro

Home schooling actually provides social activities, it has already been proven that children who are home schooled are more advanced then public schooled children, and colleges welcome home schooled students just as well as they do public schooled. As for parents missing work that isn't true, home schooled students can study at any time.
It doesn't interfere with the parents at all.
Besides, Children should always come first.
shreya

Con

Since its homely environment they tend to take everything for granted.what if parents lack suficient skills in teaching child and have limited knowledge on subject?In public schools teacher are qualified
happy2b

Pro

Home schooling is actually a program; you can't just say you're teaching your child at home, you have to sign up with a college. Your child will receive a test before the year is over to make sure he has been taught required lessons in order to pass to the next grade.
Often the home schooled students are high achievers. And as I have already mentioned, it has already been proven that home schooled student is more advanced then public schooled students.
shreya

Con

Home schooling can give students one-sided view of things,as their parents may,even unwittingly block or diminish all point of view by their teaching.This makes students unable to think for themselves or to adapt to multiple point of views.
Posted by happy2b 9 years ago
happy2b
Kels1123: Why is receiving the experience of lunches in a public school, or school pictures etc any better then what the Home school children receive? While attending class in a public school my Daughter was pressured by 3 other girls to have sex with her boyfriend, my daughter came home crying.
I doubt that would have happened at church or an activity with other home schooled children.
School shootings, Drugs and Teen pregnancy are increasing, the drop out rates are high.
I'm sorry but I don't see how a social life at a public school is better then a social life with a church, college students, or other home schooled children.
I thank you for your point of view, I certainly respect your opinion. However After talking to a school admin, teachers and principals who says "the problems with public schools is parents, government and the kids," not taking responsibility for their actions at all, and not willing to change anything that might be discouraging black children from school, I have to say that a public school social life is not as important as what these children can receive at home. By the way I'm not black, I am against racism.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
pyroemo , not the same thing as the experience of going to school and actually being able to truly experience being a child , I believe homeschooling is a way of sheltering children to an extreme .. unless there are special circumstances...
Posted by PYROEMO 9 years ago
PYROEMO
Kels1123: Home schooled children do experience the same activities as public school students; home schooled students do activities with churches, college and other Home schooled students. Getting time away from my children for a break, it's easy I go out to dinner with my wife.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
I think to home school your child is to keep them sheltered. They will miss all the experience of going to school. Children and parents should get a break of some kind from each other. Also children that are home schooled , don't experience school picture day, lunch with other children, the prom, school plays, extracurriculars, sports, and many other things.
Posted by happy2b 9 years ago
happy2b
Preacherfred: Thanks for responding, I was waiting to see if anyone would catch the line on cloths and morals etc. :o)
My personal opinion is that it is more important that a child be taught math, then to be sent home because his shirt isn't tucked in. Public schools are suppose to teach basic education to prepare children for college. As far as both parents working, once again that is not a problem since home schooled children are not on a set schedule. As far as parents being capable of teaching their children, that too isn't a problem because Home schooling is a program that is set up to ensure that the children are being taught, They take a test at the end of the year to ensure they have learned required fields before moving up to the next grade. I wasn't saying all children should be home schooled, I said "is it an answer for many families." I believe it is the answer.
Posted by shreya 9 years ago
shreya
I would also like to thank all those members who did not agree with me because of which i got to know many things.
Posted by shreya 9 years ago
shreya
And a biiiigggg thanx to PREACHERFRED,HARLAN,SOLARMAN1969 for agreeing with me and giving me some good points.
Posted by shreya 9 years ago
shreya
Madam(happy2be)thank u for enriching my knowledge on this topic.u being senior 2 me got to learn many things from u.even i am looking forward for some more healthy debates.GUDBYE.TAKECARE
Posted by impactyourworld89 9 years ago
impactyourworld89
I think that homeschooling is kind of a call. The parents have to want it for their kids. It can't be a half hearted attempt or it is unfair to the children. The kids also have to have a hand in it. In general, homeschool students are more self reliable and independent than public school kids and they have to be more responsible.
Posted by PreacherFred 9 years ago
PreacherFred
Just an opinion, but many parents in our society today just do not have the time or proper education themselves to effectively home-school their children. A majority of families today rely on 2 paychecks. Having said this, the right parents, the right situation and homeschooling would be the way to go.

Schools today get into the areas of morals, ethics and dress codes primarily by default.

Gotta go with shreya on this one.
Vote Placed by marin24 8 years ago
marin24
happy2bshreyaTied
Vote Placed by superninja 9 years ago
superninja
happy2bshreyaTied
Vote Placed by PYROEMO 9 years ago
PYROEMO
happy2bshreyaTied
Vote Placed by sluggerjal 9 years ago
sluggerjal
happy2bshreyaTied
Vote Placed by midgetjoe 9 years ago
midgetjoe
happy2bshreyaTied
Vote Placed by TheGreatDebate 9 years ago
TheGreatDebate
happy2bshreyaTied
Vote Placed by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
happy2bshreyaTied
Vote Placed by jbruner 9 years ago
jbruner
happy2bshreyaTied
Vote Placed by adamh 9 years ago
adamh
happy2bshreyaTied
Vote Placed by badlabmouse 9 years ago
badlabmouse
happy2bshreyaTied