Is Homeschooling a good idea?

Homeschooling lets the students go a their own pace.

Kids get to learn in a safe environment from a teacher who knows how they learn and can spend one-on-one time with them. If a kid is ahead in English, but behind in Math, he can be where he is without feeling pressure. There is no peer pressure, no going out to the school bus in the rain, and no bullying.
Homeschooling is flexible to the child's needs and has enough "helps" that we can be assured they will get a good education.
Parents can let their children attend classes with other homeschoolers if they desire, hire tutors for subjects they are less competent in, and even let them take classes at the local high-school.
There are plenty of ways a homeschool student can socialize. Whether it is debate competitions, Bible competitions, or just plain play-dates, kids and moms get to spend time with other people a lot. And don't forget: siblings. Siblings can teach you a lot of social skills.
For hundreds of years, children have had very few social encounters outside of their family. Yet, they grew up to be leaders and adept with communication.

Homeschoolers are often held up to standards set by the state, so we can know how good of an education the kids are getting. You do not necessarily have to have a degree in order to teach well.

I have several friends who have done both public school and homeschool. Most of them said they liked homeschooling better.
I had one friend who tried it and begged her mom not to send her back to public school because she loved being homeschooled so much.

Homeschooled kids are free to be themselves without judgement.
In my opinion, homeschooling is a very good idea.

Definition of Homeschooling: to teach school subjects to one's children at home.

I find your points sensible and corrrect but do you have any refrences for them.

Regarding your point about bullying, what if the parents are abusing the child and threatining them.

Firstly, there are some socialization problems. Children will feel isolated. They might have friends like sport friends but they won't be able to have the ability to talk to them during school because of homeschooling.

Secondly, Loss of Income. Because children need adults to teach them, one adult has to give up work to teach their child/s.
Also parents will still have to fork out money to buy textbooks, stationery and educational software, internet, education trips and audio/visual aids. So it's basically a lose-lose situation. Also regarding your point about tutors, they cost money too and they pay hour which means it would be cheaper to send you child/s to school instead of paying $500+ weekly.

Thirdly, Exam Prep. Exam preparatio hard for anyone. If its hard for teachers it'll be harder for parents because parents will have do it by themselves instead of having help from other people which teachers have.

Lastly, Burnout. Many parents get tired and stressed working those long hours especially if they haven't quit work and have to work after school hours. They also have household responsabilites and have balance it with with work resposneabilties.

Most of my previous arguments were pulled from personal experience and logic, but here are a few references to back up my previous arguments.

Now I will respond to my opponent's arguments.

1. Socialization problems.
If a child really wants to talk to friends, most homeschooling families have telephones and mail.
Also, at least in the United States, homeschoolers can be part of multiple organizations to help prevent a feeling of isolation. From debate clubs to play-dates, homeschoolers have the friend concept down pat. Don't forget, the moms can feel as isolated as the kids, so when moms get together, so do the kids.
Studies also show that some homeschoolers are better socialized than their public school peers.
"According to Thomas Smedley"s personal interaction and communications approach to understanding socialization, homeschooled children are more mature and better socialized than those who are sent to school " a direct contradiction to one of the most common perceptions of homeschooled children. Research shows homeschooled students are just as involved in outR08;ofR08;school and extracurricular activities that show future leadership as students in private schools and considerably more so than public school students." (
Homeschooled kids are used to interaction with a variety of age groups, no just their own age group. Many of these kids can have a ton of fun with friends, have a good conversation with an adult, and play with a little kid with a lot of ease.

2. Income. This is a valid concern, but the loss of income is something every family must weigh for themselves. Is the benefit greater than the cost? For many families, it is. Some people actually think that living on one income, while challenging, is actually good. (
It is entirely possible to homeschool well on a low income. All you have to do is live frugally. (
The main reason why people homeschool is not economic savings. It is because they think it is the best way to raise their children and teach them about life.

3. Exam Prep.
This is actually not a problem at all. "According to Dr. Ray"s research, homeschooled students score above the average regardless of race, household income or even their parents" level of formal education or the parent"s teacher certification status. In fact, new results show that the homeschooled children of parents who are not certified as classroom teachers have slightly improved academic success than the children of teachers." (
So if homeschooled kids do so well on test, apparently they have been well prepared. They study their subjects until they understand them, so they are able to do well.

4. Burnout. Burnout is a problem that does exist. However, there are many ways to overcome it. ( Everyone struggles with burnout, whether they homeschool or not. Thankfully, homeschooling is flexible so a mom and kids can take breaks when deemed necessary.

Homeschooling brings families closer together and lets parents teach their kids what they believe is important. Many common concerns about it are just myths, or are not nearly as serious as they seem. I believe that is the case with Con's arguments so far.

Seeing as my oppenent gave no arguement I will extend and wait for the next round to CA my oppenents points. Back to you Pro.

Apparently, my opponent agrees with all of my points so far. He agrees with me that the problems he earlier presented are either myths or not major problems at all. Seeing as he also agreed to all of the arguments in my first speech, Con has basically agreed with me this entire round. In debate, silence is consent, so he has tacitly accepted my points as correct.

Another thing I would like to point out is Con has the burden of rejoinder or response. So far, he has not directly responded to any of my arguments except for stating his agreement.

On the other hand, I have upheld my burden of proof by providing references for my sources as well as responding to Con.

Therefore, since my arguments are still standing, I will proceed to add to them.

1. Disabilities. Children with disabilities can learn in an environment where they are not pressured to be anything other than the person they are. The home is already adapted to the child's needs and no one can know how to help a child better than their mother. A mother can target her teaching to give the child what he or she needs most. If a medical issue arises, the family has the option to put school on hold and deal with the problem without worrying about missing classes.
(No references are needed since this is a logical argument.)

2. Prevention of confusion. If a parent teaches their kids one worldview at home, and the school teaches another, the kids will become confused and concerned because they do not know how to handle differing beliefs at a young age. Homeschooling avoids that confusion and gives the parents the opportunity to prepare their kids for the outside world.

3. Less peer pressure. Homeschooled kids are also trained to think independently, rather than whatever their peers say. (
They are used to being original and aren't disturbed as much if they are different from their friends. Peer pressure simply is not a big issue anymore since they have learned to stand up for themselves.

4. Flexibility. Another advantage is learning can take place anywhere at any time. ( This can be a disadvantage to the student because school never stops, but in the long run, a kid can learn more if they learn hands on. The kids can do their school work at home, at the library, in the car, etc, etc. The flexibility built into homeschool helps the kids to have the best education they can possibly have.

In short, Con agrees with me and there are even more advantages to homeschool to outweigh the cost.

Firstly, I did not agree with and have not been agreeing with you this whole debate. I was simply stating that you had just counter arguments in Round 2 and no convincing arguments and if you would like feedback on your Round 2 counter arguments than here you go:

1. Socialization: If a child has no friends because he doesn't play team sports who will he socialize with other than his parents and siblings than schooling would be the best option for parents to make sure kids make friends and schooling also teaches kids how to make friends at a young age so they are able to make relationships and friendships in the future rather than letting parents choosing friends.

2. Loss of income does affect every family but families that homeschool are more affected because of the things I said in Round 1. Just remember that educational software requires a subscription and they either pay monthly or annually which can cost a lot of money. Stationary is always bought by the parents so nothing to be said about that. Text books have to bought every year which is daunting because the average Australian text book here is at least $100 per text book and remember they will need English, Math, Geography, History and Science text books are required according to the Australian curriclulim. []. So you will be forking a lot of money out especially if you only have one child because and older sibling cannot pass down their text books.

Now to CA of Round 3

1. The reason we have special schools is that special needs children have access to education and resources, the government isn't just forking out money on special needs schools for the fun of it.

2. Homeschooling is another way for parents to pass down their crazy ideology as I said before, schools teach children why the current situation (in this case it might be world view) is affecting the world. For example my mother said that the dumping of electronic waste in Guiyu, China is a good thing and is cheaper where as my geography teacher taught me about the health situations that they have there.

3. If your at public or private schools you can learn anywhere as well. The bus, the car, the library etc. There are no limits of where you can learn.

I stated that my opponent agreed with me for two reasons:
1. His own words: "I find your points sensible and corrrect"(sic)
2. His previous failure to respond.

Now, though, he was remedied that problem and did respond to most of the arguments above. He did drop the points of burnout and Exam prep, signaling that he thinks I have sufficiently answered them and he has no further concerns.

I will not bring up any new arguments since five is enough to carry through this debate.

1. Socialization. Con is assuming that if a kid is not on a sports team, he or she has no friends. Firstly, that is a false assumption. I am homeschooled and have never been on a sports team in my life and I have literally hundreds of friends. I know many others who have many friends also. Sports is not everything.
Also, finding friends is not tied to your education, if it was, you couldn't make any new friends until after you graduated from College. Anyone will tell you that making friends has to do with similar interests, not school. (
As, I mentioned previously, there are a myriad of choices of extra-curricular activities for homeschoolers. These examples have not been addressed.
Secondly, homeschool sports teams abound. ( Also, many homeschoolers play on the local high-school team in exchange of a few classes.

2. Income. Homeschooling costs more than public school but less than private school. ( Apparently, my opponent is not very familiar with homeschooling because homeschoolers tend to buy textbooks used and hand them down the sibling line. Homeschoolers help each other out and have support groups where they lend curriculum and discuss it so that everyone can make the best choice possible. Homeschooling moms are excellent on cutting corners to make ends meet. Again, the benefit is greater than the cost.

3. Special schools are not always the answer. True, some people genuinely need it, but maybe some moms want to be near their kids and take care of them themselves rather than dealing with the hassle of explaining everything to the school.

4. I don't think it would be helpful if we discussed the issue of "crazy ideology". It is beside the point. The point is, the parents teach one worldview, the school undermines it. This confuses the children immensely. Who do they believe?
A parent has the right to teach their kids what they think is right and the school should not try to take that away.

5. Flexible learning. True, there are no limits to learning, but a class of one family with a few kids is easier to transport than a classroom of 20 with various different schedules. I am not talking about homework or self-education, I am talking about the whole day of school with all the classes.

R1) I was saying that if a child is homeschooled he/she might have little to no friends. You say you are homeschooled and you have tons of friends, were you homeschooled your whole life? If not than did you make friends at your previous school/s. You say that making friends has to do with similar interests, I agree but it also has do to with schools. I friends that I have nothing in common with and we still manage to have good conversations and have fun.

R2) Some text books that you can buy that are used can also be expensive, also I made a point about if the child had no siblings so the parents would have to buy new/used text books every year. Homeschooling support groups are essentially a mini school soooo yea.

1. Schools are there to prepare kids for competition which one is facing outside in the real world. Whereas homeschooling does not provide any competition other than high-school team sports which you raised in your responses. The competitive spirit which is featured in schools is absent in home schools.

2. When you send your child off to school you get so time for yourself. Whether its cleaning the house or driving to the office you always get some relax and you get to unwind. But when you homeschool you have to be with your kids all day like wise they have to be with you. This can cause tension in your relationships and relatively small issues into a big deal.

3. Equipment is another big issue in homeschooling. Say there is an experiment in physics or chemistry that is on the National curriculum you will have to fork out money for equipment such as beakers, bunsen burners, universal indicators, etc. Also things such as a gym, large swimming pools and running tracks can not be facilitated in your house (unless you own a mansion).

Back to you Pro

Con is correct that I have been homeschooled my entire life. I have never even taken a class in a public or private school. While you can have good friends who are not like you at all, I'm sure most teachers would agree that the purpose of school is education, not socialization. I would also suspect that the good conversations and fun Con has had with his friends was outside of school hours, during extra-curricular activities and free-time. The same is true for homeschooled kids.

If you buy a used textbook and then sell it after you are done with it, you can essentially retain your money as well as let other families get a good price. Also, parents can choose between different curricula to find one that is both cheap and best for their family. There are literally thousands of choices for parents to choose from. At least in the US, no one mandates that you have to use a certain textbook. Homeschooling support groups are not mini schools. They are a community of homeschool moms who get together for activities and to swap ideas and curricula.

Response to Con's arguments:

1. School's main purpose is to educate the kids. Not train them for competition like they are Olympic athletes. Also, they have many extra-curricular activities in which they do compete against other people. There are the fore-mentioned sports teams, debate leagues, Bible Bee's, Spelling Bee's, etc.
As to whether the competitive spirit is absent, I would have to assume my opponent does not have a sibling. I know of many homeschooling families where the kids are constantly seeing who can be done with math first, who did the most problems, who got the better grade, etc, etc. I find it interesting that Con first asserts that there will be no competition, and then states there will be tension.

2. Yes, this can be a disadvantage. Tension does arise. But the experience of getting along with your family is good. It builds character and teaches you how to treat other people with respect. Unless you are a hermit, you will always be surrounded with people. And while the friction can be annoying, it sharpens and improves you. In order to sharpen a knife you need to rub it against another metal. Without it, it will be useless.

3. Equipment. With some curriculum, equipment is included. Apologia is one such curriculum. You can get everything you need in a large box for a reasonable price. Also, gyms, large swimming pools, and running tracks are nice, but are not strictly needed. If they are necessary for a group activity, then the group will often meet at a designated place to do it. Many churches have gyms that the kids can often use. If the kids want to swim, there are public pools. If they want to run, they can do so around their neighborhoods.

As you can likely see, the concerns brought up by Con are either not as severe as might be thought, or they are not existent at all.
1. Many homeschool kids have just a much friends as those who are not, and they have just as many opportunities to socialize. Also, it is beside the main point of schools. Therefore, this is not a serious problem at all.
2. Income is not a big problem because if you live frugally and buy used books and sell them again, you will have enough money to buy the materials you need.
3. Exam-prep is not a problem at all because homeschoolers get consistently higher scores.
4. Burnout is not a significant problem because moms can do things to lessen its impact.
5. Competition is not a problem because the kids have plenty of opportunities to compete against each other.
6. Tension is not a big problem because it actually teaches the kids hands-on lessons about relationships.
7. Equipment is not a problem because it is either unnecessary, or could be gotten at a reasonable price.

These small and insignificant problems are greatly outweighed by the benefits of homeschooling.
1. Flexibility
2. No pressure
4. Outside resources are optional
5. Teaches social skills
6. Get an awesome education
7. Prevention of confusion

Since the benefits of homeschooling far outweigh the costs, I conclude homeschooling is a very good idea.

Thank you, voters, so much for taking the time to read and vote on our debate. I really appreciate it.

Thank you, Con for taking to time to debate me on this topic, and good luck with your future rounds.

Seeing as I counter argument a counter argument I will continue with some more points. ( I am not saying I agree with you)

1. One of the reasons why homeschooling is bad is the fact that parents may lose patience when they are trying to educate their children. Some parents may be too overbearing or impatient, which may cause the child to react in a negative manner. It is may be hard for parents to draw the line between educator and parent in the child"s mind.

2. One of the most glaring negative effects of homeschooling is the matter of motivation. Some children need to be challenged to excel in their studies. In this sense, they thrive when they are involved in some competition. Children who are homeschooled would not have this motivation because most of them are educated separately.

3. A parent may have good educational qualifications, but that does not make him or her a good teacher. Teaching is an art, which requires the ability to understand children's needs. Parents may find it difficult to adjust to the curriculum. Unlike professional teachers, parents may not be trained to teach, thus making homeschooling difficult for them.

4. One of the most critical impacts of homeschooling on children is limited social interaction. In a traditional school, students are exposed to children coming from diverse cultural backgrounds. Homeschooling lacks this aspect, and hence may prove to be detrimental to the development of children's interpersonal skills. Schools give children, the opportunity to participate in debates, sports and other competitions. They expose children to the real world. In homeschooling, school remains confined to the home, thus limiting the social, emotional and psychological development of children.

5. Another thing is cost as I said before. Since I have already talked a lot about cost please take a look at this reference.[] Some of my points are from here as well.

I have now run out of points and would like to thank pro for creating this debate.

Best of luck in future rounds and the voting period.

-- RedRum Out!
Posted by mishapqueen 2 years ago
Thank you to everyone who took time to vote. Your comments are appreciated!

Also thank you to Con for giving me someone to debate this with. May you have good luck in your future debates!
Posted by mishapqueen 2 years ago
You're welcome! God bless!
Posted by RedRum 2 years ago
Oooh ahaha. Thanks you made some very good points and was up to date with replies. Thanks
Posted by mishapqueen 2 years ago
Oooohhhh. Ok. That makes sense. I was wondering if it meant Con Arguments. At first I thought you might be referring to the super glue! ;) Anyway, good job on the debate! You've been extremely prompt with posting your replies. Thanks!
Posted by RedRum 2 years ago
Counter Argument like Rebuttals
Posted by mishapqueen 2 years ago
Red Rum, I feel stupid... What in the world does CA mean?
Posted by RedRum 2 years ago
What I meant by socialize about during school is that they talk during recess not during classes. Also decide whether you want to be homeschooled, and homeschooling hours range from 2-6 hours a day as some of my friends have told me. If you go to public school I can understand why you would want ti get homeschooling but private schools are so much better.
Posted by JasperFrancisShickadance 2 years ago
Homeschooling does not isolate you. The point con made about how 'they don't have any friends during school because it's homeschool' is lame because, (1) are kids supposed to have social time while focusing on school? (2) a lot of times, families co-op with others to do school together, (3) school hours are much less [and less stressful] than a public school hours. In other words homeschoolers don't sit at desks for 5 hours everyday, they move around and are only constantly working for about 2 1/2 hours a day, very unlike GOING to school.
Vote Placed by voxprojectus 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: I think Con made some good points, but they were buried in a sea of scattered, disorganized "agruements" that left me disinclined to sift too deep for them. Add the derailing accusation of round two that turned things into a metadebate about whether or not arguments had been made and I give conduct to PRO as well.
Vote Placed by doomswatter 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: This debate came down to a preponderance of benefits vs detriments, since neither side could be proven conclusively. Pro gave reasonable responses to most of Con's alleged detriments, while some of Con's arguments ignored statements already made by Pro. For example, in R5, Con argues that homeschooled students lack competitive motivation, but does not provide reason to question Pro's previous statements about the existence of competition in homeschool environments. Altogether, I feel that Pro provided the preponderance of sensible points. I am always happy to clarify my RFD.