Is "Honey Boo Boo" really a sweet pageant girl, or a redneck hillbilly?

I think Honey Boo Boo is an obnixious little girl that thinks she's such a little pretty princess. She has got no manners and has such a bubbly outgoing personality. But is she too obnixious to many T.V. watchers or fans?

I'll accept your challenge.

"Alana", Or Honey Boo boo, is a young girl. Like most young people, she is highly impressionable.
I would argue that her family is to blame for her lack of suitable manners fit for a pageant.

Alana herself is confident in her ability's to win pageants, and on stage she can be quite charming.

You called her a brat. Without any evidence or additional claims to back this up. I chalk this up as your subjective view, which I have no issue with.
However, I too shall express my subjective view. Take any hyperactive child her age with a poor suburban upbringing, with a show that chooses to exploit the worst in a lower-class family for ratings, and you will find yourself with the same result.

Yes, but if you have watched any of her shows, she is a disgusting no mannered child. In one of her episodes, her sister and her took adequate classes. They still acted like animals. They belched at the lunch table and asked if it was OK to flatulence at the table. Although they are just children, I very strongly think their parents need to step up and teach them what's wrong with what they do.
Many say "She is who she is", or "That's just what she does", they have the same manners as a monkey. They are very, very rude.
Yes, she can be a very pretty, graceful, child.
And most people act different at home than they do in public.
But they need to start acting up.

I understand your reasoning. The acts of the parents and other children with their buffoonery really put me off at first.
However, as I watched the show I uncovered something rather remarkable.

Episode 7&8 of the show really showcases the family's good side. As I watched I realized that they are just like a normal family, and that they love having fun.
They have so much fun playing around doing silly things and jumping in mud. Just simple stuff. The family doesn't care how they act as long as everyone has a good time. In the end, isn't that really all that matters?

Alana really does have a sweet side, and she is just a little girl.

The camera aims to capture their worst side, so instead of say editing their stuttering or forgetting of what they should say, the camera captures all of it.
This is no more evident than when poor Alana sneezes and the camera just aims at the poor girl as she tries desperately to hide her snot. This is at the end of episode 9 around the 20 minute mark.

Yes, I see your understanding, but these parents let them do what they want.
And that's not always a good thing.
Look at all their children.
They all weigh over 80 pounds.
And the youngest is like a second or third grader!

They need to take control!
Yeah. I enjoy their show.
It's very interesting.
And I never said there's nothing wrong with having fun.

They don't act like an abnormal family, they are an abnormal family!

I'm having a very interesting time debating with you.

You have to remember that this is America. The country with the highest obesity rating.
Just because the family is fat, it should not shock the public as it has seemingly in the comments section of the honey boo boo videos.

I think the family has control. I didn't see any obedience issues with the children any more than what you would in an average family.
I believe what you are referring to is the uncouth behavior exhibited by this family. To which I agree that it is repulsive.
Considering that the family doesn't seem to frequent any place where high class manners are necessary, I don't see it as a problem.
Especially since they seem far more well behaved in public places like the pageant.

I speculate that the family was receiving pressure from the producers of the show to act as "redneck" as possible.
This is clear when Alana uses the phrase "Redneckognise". To which I doubt she came up with it on her own.
Also the silly hillbilly banjo, country music playing in the background.

AmeliaFausty forfeited this round.

I'll add that Alana didn't win the "Rockstar Grand Supreme" In episode 6. Her mother distracted her by shouting incessantly, even Alana complained about this, later it was revealed that she needed more eye contact toward the judges.
Proving her parents attribute to some of her failures.

In episode 5 Alana cries over the loss of Glitzy the pig, no one else in the family cried about it. This reveals a sensitive sweet side of Alana.

Yes, but Alana still is an obnoxious little child!
I don't have a problem with her having a pet pig, but who in their right mind would have a pig as a pet?!
I mean, yeah, a tea cup pig maybe. But not a pig that's like 7 months old!
I myself live on a farm, with pigs.
To me, they're gross. They defecate everywhere!
Yes, they're family is different from others.
They like to have fun.
Every family likes to have fun.
But them, they're just out of their mind.
I don't have a problem with them either, it's just, they have no manners what so ever!
They are so rude at the table!
They've got no instincts at all to what they are to do to be polite.

While its true that I don't like the idea of keeping a pig, its their choice.
I thought it was interesting how humble the family was, relating to the pig by calling themselves pigs.

Its not that the family doesn't know how to act, I'm sure they've been told. Seeming to lack any desire to change their ways.
They appear to be happy in their ignorance, why not let them be that way?

On that note, I doubt the show would have gotten so popular had they shown a more mainstream American family. If America is really such an upper class posh society, why have so many of us watched it?
Do we enjoy seeing the Ill mannered ignorance of others? The fact is, we all tuned in.

Alana is only 7 years old, she is a sweet southern girl who practices hard and is confident in her ability's to win pageants. She is energetic, silly, and fun.
So I find it disgusting how far the producers have gone out of their way to portray poor Alana as a fool, and embarrass her in front of the whole world for some cash.
Posted by ishallannoyyo 3 years ago
Who in their right mind would EVER watch Honey Boo Boo??