Psychoticblue52
Zarium

Is Human Beauty Objective?

Zarium

Psychoticblue52

Con

Please post an opening statement and then a rebuttal.
Thank you for debating me.

Opening statement: Beauty, is not objective, but is subjective and has been made objective by society.

Beauty is completely subjective and society acts on it as if it is objective when really it all someones opinion and should there for not be so deeply implemented in us growing up that we need to meet the objective or no one will find you beautiful.
I realize this may be a harsh statement, and many would say "well not all people" but I would just like to clarify that I am talking about society as whole and the normalization of setting standards for things like beauty.
This is why I am arguing that beauty is subjective, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" I believe this quote to be truth.
Many though, have a collective view on what they find beautiful and have treated it like its objective through the means of the media.

Definitions:
Subjective- Opposite of objective, more of an opinion than fact. For example "The moon is pretty."
Objective- A fact. For example "Earth has one moon."

I await rebuttal.
Zarium

Pro

Thank you for this debate, I appreciate the topic immensely :)

Now to begin, I will firstly make a concession to your point, however will show why I am raising the stance I plan to make for this debate.

Now the title of the debate is a no brainier - Human Beauty is purely subjective, People may have preferences and hidden secrets, they may like red hair, but only to shoulder length - The list is endless and all dependant on the person who is perceiving the object of interest. That part alone you have made a debate with a non-argument.

However the description you then placed, seemed to open up to the entirety of beauty - saying that nothing is beautiful and objective, and only when viewed by a person, is it deemed beautiful.

This part of the debate I refute, However if you wish to aim towards human stance on beauty - I believe I can still debate this topic with you (though personally I will be agreeing with you, I can maintain an argument with you for these rounds).

If you are intending this to all concepts of beauty that we know of, I will maintain that Beauty is Objective, and will argue according to those lines, however If you wish to keep this as in Human Beauty is not objective - Then I will argue this point.

Either way, Both of my stances will be to prove that beauty is objective, however I would like clarification from my opponent before we proceed.

Thank you, I am greatly looking forward to this debate.
Psychoticblue52

Con

Yes thank you for asking, I will clarify that yes I am speaking of human aim towards beauty, sorry that was confusing, but I really appreciate you taking on the challenge, I am writing an oration for a competition that I'm doing later this week and I was hoping i could debate someone here to see if i can wring out any more perspectives from it, plus I find it interesting that some people treat beauty as a fact rather than an opinion and wanted to look more closely thank you.

I don't usually agree to having beauty be in such a black and white format but for debating purposes I thought it would be interesting. (so yes personally I don't agree that the entirety of beauty is placed on human perspective either but i figured it would be better for debating purposes.)

But to be very clear I am not really looking at individual standards of beauty, I am speaking of the common thread you see in magazines of white, thin, models who are perfect according to society. What makes the media have such a perception? I want to know and get into the heads of them, its all supply and demand, what made the world want this common thread?

I hope that clarifies things for you, thank you again. :)
Zarium

Pro

Well I can speak from the male half of the spectrum - However cannot claim anything about female preferences (other than probably strong handsome man with bulky arms and a jaw you can "something a something off of" or whatever is said when women look at those kind of men haha)

However you have asked for facts.

Symmetry is a key factor for human beauty - Brad Pitt has been noted as one of the most symmetrical faces in the world - 9.67 out of 10 on the symetry scale (Note Schmid's 1-10 scale) - This is used to provide some information, however it will be investigated further.

Humans are based upon a set found of specifics that we find appealing - Physically we are attracted to figures that match our physical needs - Most men wish to have multiple children from multiple partners, thus they look for the most fertile looking women (Hourglass waist, Usually widened hips, thick lips) - All these characteristics show men that these women are statistically more likely to procude strong offspring.

However humans also have a logic side, we crave perfection - thus this is why symmetry is key - Men and women need their preferences 'perfect' - This usually means in fields that they themselves are weaker in, So a smart person may aim for a more physical person, or a physical person may look for someone who is artistic, It depends on what the person needs specifically at the time.

This is where I believe the subjective part comes to play - however overall most people would fall within a predetermined class of beauty, even before someone looks at them to judge their appearance :)

Anyways. back to you - Please let me know what you think of the subject.
Psychoticblue52

Con

Psychoticblue52 forfeited this round.
Zarium

Pro

Okay, I see where you are coming from.
Posted by TheRussian 1 year ago
TheRussian
Very tough case for Pro.
Posted by ssadi 1 year ago
ssadi
Can you please provide a definition for beauty? Do you only mean physical appearance or any kind of beauty, behavioral for example?

Thank you!
Vote Placed by ssadi 1 year ago
ssadi
Psychoticblue52ZariumTied
Vote Placed by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
Psychoticblue52ZariumTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Edlvsjd 1 year ago
Edlvsjd
Psychoticblue52ZariumTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ff