Caseo7
HSamei1999

Is Islam a bad religion ?

Caseo7

Pro

"Sorry about my other debate, i was on a vacation and forgot about the other debate. But anyway I wish whoever I face good luck".
HSamei1999

Con

Firstly, I would like to thank Pro for raising this debate and being open to listen to the other side of the issue. I am a Muslim and will offer a defense of Islam to show it is not a bad religion. So, religion is the devotion to faith, observance and worship of God [1], and since the Pro will have to prove it is bad, the moral standard for good and bad will be determined by comparing it to other religions and their beliefs. I propose that Islam is a religion of peace and it does not promote violence (I am assuming you have mentally set the definition for Islam, but in the case you haven't it is the religion based off of the Quran and the example of prophet Muhammed [pbuh] and the other prophets).

I am almost sure that Pro will mention the case of terrorist groups such as ISIS and Al Qaeda who claim to be Muslim, but the truth is they deviate from the true teachings of Islam. They are groups of extremists who do not represent the Muslim faith, but just some radicalized people using religion as a tool to brainwash others into joining them.

I concede that some radicals use the name of Islam as the basis of their actions but it is not scripturally encouraged, nor was it the lifestyle led by Prophet Muhammed (pbuh). Hence the source of these problems are not Islam, but the radical individuals. In case you did not know, the name Islam is derived from the Arabic word for peace which is the opposite of violence [2]. The word for peace in arabic is "salam" and the name of the religion has the vowel 'i' beginning it so it becomes 'Islam".

Since I have already started by showing Islam is non violent, I will offer some translated quotes so to seal my points that Islam is a religion of peace:
“O You who believe! Enter absolutely into peace (Islam). Do not follow in the footsteps of satan. He is an outright enemy to you.” (Holy Quran: 2, 208)
“God does not forbid you from being good to those who have not fought you in the religion or driven you from your homes, or from being just towards them. God loves those who are just.” (Surat al-Mumtahana, 8)
“God does not love corruption”. (Surat al-Baqara, 205)
[3]

Of these verses, the first encourage people to enter in peace, and it makes no exceptions using the word absolutely. It condemns not doing so as the path of Satan, and so really evil and bad. This is the path of those terrorist as they do not enter in peace, but with the intention to harm. If the scripture denounces their actions as those of Satam, how can you still call them Muslims?
The second promotes fairness, and although the language might sound weird and almost as though it is hesitant, that is actually just a result of the translation. The third just candidly denounces corruption, which we all aggree I am assuming is a bad thing. As can be seen by these examples, Islam is not a bad religion but one of peace that promotes virtues, and condemns evil.

I will post more support and arguments in my later posts and wish you good luck too :)

[1] http://www.merriam-webster.com...;
[2] https://translate.google.com...
[3] http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org...
Caseo7

Pro

Caseo7 forfeited this round.
HSamei1999

Con

Well, I am disappointed that Pro has failed to post anything, and since I have already made a case in the First Round, I would just remphasize that now. Since Pro has the burden of proof and has to show Islam is a violent religion, I will just sit back and relax until he has something for me to refute. Else my case in the 1st round should suffice.
Caseo7

Pro

Caseo7 forfeited this round.
HSamei1999

Con

Well, that was disappointing but since Pro forfeited every round except the first, and never responded to my post saying why it is not a bad religion. I am willing to debate this with anyone else if you would like to challenge me, but till then thank you and bye bye.

May the Peace and Blessings of God be upon you
Posted by Satyanweshi 7 months ago
Satyanweshi
There are some questions which are contextually invalid. For example, the question "Is the mountain air blue or green?" is a contextually invalid question. It will fetch no useful answer.
The commonest meaning of religion is a faith or belief in a superhuman controlling power and judge of our actions on earth. Islam calls that power and judge as Allah. As belief is personal, whether Islam is good or bad is irrelevant to anyone other than the holder of the faith.
What we see in an institutionalized religion is a dogma. When an Islamist insists his belief on others he/she is being dogmatist. But that is not exclusive to Islam.
It is pointless to compare verse by verse the texts of any two religions and statistically establish which of the two is more violent hence worse. It is morally hollow, like say declaring a homicide is better than genocide.
There is not a single historical evidence that atrocities committed in the name of a religion were truly spiritual. In all cases we see other commonly understood motives like plunder, territorial, cultural and political expansionism. This explains why Islamists almost without exception hate capitalism.
To sum it up all, Islam is neither good or bad. May be it is more efficiently expansionist.
Posted by MaxLamperouge 8 months ago
MaxLamperouge
Religion alone is good and just, and provides a reason to follow your moral compass and adapt it accordingly.
When religion becomes bad is when it is used for selfish means, or practiced by hypocrites or used to gain power.
Posted by vi_spex 8 months ago
vi_spex
religion is bad