buildingapologetics
backwardseden

Is Jesus Almighty God according to the Bible?

buildingapologetics

buildingapologetics

Pro

Many non-christian groups such as Muslims, Jehovah's witnesses, and Mormons try to deny that Jesus is almighty God using the Bible. They claim that Jesus is a created being and is less than God and use different methods to support their case.

Since I believe Jesus is God, I will have the burden of proof to demonstrate that scripture does teach the deity of Christ. You will have the burden to show that Jesus is not God according the the Bible. If you want to cut out certain parts of the Bible to make your case, you may do so, but you also must justify why they should be cut out. You may use philosophy, logic, and history to support your case, but the focus of the debate should be on what the Bible teaches.

The first round will be acceptance.
backwardseden

Con

Hebrews 1:5 For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?

Mark 1:11 "And there came a voice from heaven, saying, Thou art my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."

John 1:14 "And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth."

Mark 14:61 "But he held his peace, and answered nothing. Again the high priest asked him, and said unto him, Art thou the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?"

1 John 4:10 "Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins."

John 14:13 "And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son."

Those are just a few of the verses in YOUR ridiculous big blank black book out of many showing that YOUR jesus, who in which there"s no proof for having ever existing, was NOT in anyway "all mighty God using the Bible" but the "son of god" which is a very big difference.

But let"s get into that even further and this is taken from Atheist Republic"
Matthew 7: 15-20 "Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. 16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? 17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. 19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. 20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them."
The saying is plain as day: a good tree would not produce bad fruits, only good fruits. I'm not making this up, that's what Matthew states unequivocally. But how can this be possible? How can even the best and most righteous person never produce bad fruits? They can't, because human nature is such that we will make mistakes, or worse, do something bad deliberately. But Jesus, who is said to be the infallible almighty God of the Bible, says that it IS possible to produce ONLY good fruit. Read the passage again (v. 18) "A good tree cannot bear bad fruit" and likewise " a bad tree cannot bear good fruit."

And yet Jesus said that evil must happen, but woe unto him through which it is done. Evil will happen, it's inevitable, so how come Jesus also said that a good tree CANNOT bear bad fruit, when we all know that this is not true. All of us have produced good fruit and bad fruit, therefore I can only come to the conclusion that Jesus was not infallible, not God, but a fanatical fundamentalist who thought he was appointed of God to teach the people of Israel. He was wrong, just all all the Christian churches are wrong, especially that church which claims infallibility, which is considered a heresy by the other Christian churches.

Here's something else to ponder (that leaves you out Steve): Jesus promised he would return within one generation, the generation of his immediate followers. He was dead wrong (pun intended) and is therefore a false prophet, condemned by his very own words that a good tree cannot produce bad fruit.

And let"s get into it even further because considering the absolute fact that YOUR jesus broke a few of YOUR god"s laws such as working on the sabbath which requires the death penalty, yet YOUR smoochie jesus somehow was NOT given the noose. So indeed YOUR jesus right there was a false prophet provided that there"s no proof he ever existed as YOUR bible doesn"t teach anything because it gives people false hope.
buildingapologetics

Pro

I'm going to just ignore the classic atheist hole-riddled arguments because they have absolutely nothing to do with this debate and would lead to more rabbit trails.

When I first read the verses you posted, I was confused on why you think they refute the deity of Christ. Out of all of the verses you could have picked, you, without knowing it, included one that actually proves the deity of Christ.

"Those are just a few of the verses in YOUR ridiculous big blank black book out of many showing that YOUR jesus, who in which there"s no proof for having ever existing, was NOT in anyway "all mighty God using the Bible" but the "son of god" which is a very big difference."

Thank you for enlightening me that there is a difference between the term "God" and "Son of God". Thank you for your most well-informed theology lecture. I guess I have never heard Jesus called the Son of God before. Two thousand years of Christendom has gone by, and no one saw Jesus being called the Son of God. On the other hand, maybe we should do something silly. Maybe we should actually figure out what the term "Son of God" means.

John 5:16-18
And this was why the Jews were persecuting Jesus, because he was doing these things on the Sabbath. But Jesus answered them, "My Father is working until now, and I am working." his was why the Jews were seeking all the more to kill him, because not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God.

The Jews at that time understood the term Son of God to mean that Jesus thought of Himself as equal with God. Jesus is deity and is the Son because He chose to be born as a human being. You also brought up John 1:14 which identifies the Word as Jesus. It then interesting what John said about the Word a few verses earlier.

John 1:1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

This verse indisputably calls Jesus God, so it seems the debate is over. If you don't like this verse, there are literally hundreds of others that demonstrate Jesus' deity.
backwardseden

Con

Well see, that"s why I"m an atheist and you are a christian "I'm going to just ignore the classic atheist hole-riddled arguments because they have absolutely nothing to do with this debate and would lead to more rabbit trails." Is because you cannot even prove that your god nor christ exists. No person in existence ever has because everything that your religion is based upon is based upon faith. And faith cannot be proved.

Obviously you were confused because you are trapped within your teeny tiny little blank black book that is your bible and you are completely unable to venture beyond it whereas atheists can. We as atheists also demand something that is tangible from your god and we do not rely on gullibility in with case absolutely you do because once again you have no proof, none that your god nor christ exists.

The verses refute the deity of christ because the supposed son of god is NOT god. And your god did not grant YOUR jesus powers of any kind in YOUR bible. Now what part of that truly simple equation don"t you understand? "Out of all of the verses you could have picked, you, without knowing it, included one that actually proves the deity of Christ." Tee hee. Snicker snick. The munching green waits.

"I guess I have never heard Jesus called the Son of God before." You"d be surprised at how many christians haven"t. In fact roughly 79% of those who claim those to be christian only read their bibles roughly twice every other week and that"s only a couple of verses, if that. That"s not christianity and being edumacated on it. Oh and btw 1 in every 4 adult Americans does not know that the earth orbits the sun as of a couple of years ago. So do you REALLY think those who claim to be christians are going to know anything about christianity? Oh and to add further insult to injury, YOUR god would in no way ---ever--- use text as a form of communication, the worst form of communication possible.
And just a little bit of tidbit of news" it is well known that atheists, for obvious and clear reasons that atheists know the bible better than christians or those who are religious do. That"s why we as atheists generally know what we are talking about and you as christians don"t have the flying buttatooty clue in the world and have to invent excuses, just like nearly all christians do, to keep your sawed off shotguns from exploding in your you know where areas while on the get Christy Love.

John 5:16-18 is worthless. jesus does not get to state that he is at equal footing with god. Its god that needs to state that jesus is at equal footing with him. BIG DIFFERENCE.
And besides in you mentioning the sabbath in which YOUR jesus broke, which was one of YOUR god"s hardcore laws which required death, as stated in RD1, YOUR jesus was required by YOUR god"s laws to-be-put-to-death. Now what part of that don"t you understand?

"The Jews at that time understood the term Son of God to mean that Jesus thought of Himself as equal with God." So? That doesn't mean that god thought of him that way and granted jesus equal powers. Show me in YOUR bible where YOUR god granted YOUR jesus equal powers to that of YOUR god. Until you can do that, then you have 0, nada, nothing. And your precious jesus was a worthless zippo ziltch blank black hole.

You are still stuck on this jesus crap? Its-not-up-to-jesus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sheesh!!!!!!!!! Its up to YOUR god. What part of that doesn"t sink into your noggin? YOUR jesus CANNOT self appoint himself as ANYTHING without the approval of his god. Who does he in his right mind think he was in which case, once again, no proof for existing. That"s just like me stating to the world, and in your thinking, that I should be idolized, worshiped, have broken bread with, without proof of any kind because I am the son of Miuchel (made up name as your god of no powers). Yeah. Ridiculous. So is your jesus. So is your god.

"John 1:1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. This verse indisputably calls Jesus God," Gee gosh golly um no it doesn"t. There"s no mentioning of jesus in there my son badbreathitsu garlic breath. See that"s the dangers of your tepid misinterpretations like you and why you should not ---ever--- be allowed to interpret. How many billions of christians WILL DISAGREE with YOU? And to make matters worse for YOU" Those who do not understand the bible at all, unlike you clearly, and are beginners and would take it at face value where on earth are they EVER going to interpret "This verse indisputably calls Jesus God,"? Sorry absolutely 100% WRONG!!!
Now let"s suppose that you are right. In no possible way can you prove it. Not only that but it would be a supermassive hypocritical contradiction (proving jesus is not god). That"s one of a good thousand supermassive hypocritical contradictions and inconsistencies in your bible proving it to be unreadable which is yet again why your god would ---never--- choose text as a form of communication.

But then again, there"s no such thing as a true christian in the first place as you disobey YOUR jesus all the time and you know it. You haven"t abandoned your family as your jesus demands. Nor have you given up all of your possessions as your jesus demands. Now do you want the exact verses in which you will assuredly deny, but hey YOUR jesus stated them leaving absolutely no room whatsoever for misinterpretation, so you go against your jesus so you cannot be a true christian? Sheesh. See that"s the problem with you maggoty christians is YOU select the verses out of YOUR bible and you apply them how you see fit and you neatly ignore the rest.

And the worst of it is, is as proved you worship an imperfect supposed supreme deity. And its just too bad that YOUR bible is littered with thumbnail verses to produce gems like them and thus that they are imperfect. That"s one of the major reasons why atheists do not believe in YOUR god. We are not as gullible as you.
buildingapologetics

Pro

"Is because you cannot even prove that your god nor christ exists." I don't think you understand what you are asking of me. It is impossible to prove anything outside of math. I will make you this deal: I will prove that Jesus exists if you can prove that you exist. If you can't even do that, there is no reason for me to meet your demand.

Again, I am going to ignore everything that has no connection to this debate. I am also not going to reply to all of the ad-hominem statements (of which, I count at least 28).

Thus far, your argument rests upon the proposition that because Jesus is called the Son of God, He cannot possibly be God. This is your positive claim, and you have to prove it. I already showed that the Jews of Jesus' time understood the term to actually mean Jesus is God, so there is another possible understanding of "son of God". If this is the case, then the term "son of God" doesn't necessarily mean Jesus is not God, and your argument fails. I am not claiming that the Jewish interpretation is inspired or even correct; I am simply arguing that it is possible that it is correct. If it is even possible, you have failed your burden of proof.

If we want to get into the Christian interpretation of the term "Son of God," we must acknowledge that there is disagreement over this issue. The traditional explanation is that Jesus is divinely eternally generated by the Father such that the Son remains uncreated. This is not the approach I take. I simply believe the term "Son of God" refers to the fact that Jesus became a human being. Jesus is both God and man, so He is both "Son of God" and "Son of Man" as stated in scripture.

"And your god did not grant YOUR jesus powers of any kind in YOUR bible." If you mean the Father never made Jesus God, then you are correct. Jesus has always been God; He never started being God. If you are simply talking about powers in general, you are mistaken. Jesus was granted the ability to prophesy, heal, and cast out demons. On the other hand, I'm not sure what that has to do with the deity of Christ.

"You"d be surprised at how many christians haven"t." It actually does not surprise me. I have spent much time examining these statistics, and you are correct. Christians don't care about their faith as much as they should, although most of these "Christians" are not Christians at all. Also, I do not believe atheists have a good understanding of the Bible. They have a better understanding than a lot, but most of their attacks are basic and surface-level. Your reply is exhibit A.

"John 5:16-18 is worthless. jesus does not get to state that he is at equal footing with god. Its god that needs to state that jesus is at equal footing with him. BIG DIFFERENCE." First off, if Jesus claims to be God in the Bible, then the Bible is teaching that Jesus is God, and I have won the debate. You may call Him a liar, but then we are over the issue of whether scripture is reliable rather than what scripture teaches. Since the debate is about what the Bible teaches, you seem about an inch away from admitting that it does teach the deity of Christ. Secondly, I am willing to meet your demand and show you exactly where the Father calls Jesus God. Forgive the lengthy quote; it is just too good to cut:

Hebrews 1:3-13
He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, having become as much superior to angels as the name he has inherited is more excellent than theirs.
For to which of the angels did God ever say,
"You are my Son, today I have begotten you"?
Or again,
"I will be to him a father, and he shall be to me a son"?
And again, when he brings the firstborn into the world, he says,
"Let all God"s angels worship him."
Of the angels he says,
"He makes his angels winds, and his ministers a flame of fire."
But of the Son he says,
"Your throne, O God, is forever and ever, the scepter of uprightness is the scepter of your kingdom. You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness; therefore God, your God, has anointed you with the oil of gladness beyond your companions."
And,
"You, Lord, laid the foundation of the earth in the beginning, and the heavens are the work of your hands;
they will perish, but you remain; they will all wear out like a garment,
like a robe you will roll them up, like a garment they will be changed.
But you are the same, and your years will have no end."
And to which of the angels has he ever said,
"Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet"?

The above quote hardly needs any clarification, but I will do so anyway. Jesus is the exact imprint of the nature of God because He is God "stamped" into human flesh. He is the creator and sustainer of the entire universe. Jesus is called God, and has an everlasting kingdom. To Jesus, God says "But you are the same,and your years will have no end." This as well as the preceding few lines are actually a quote from the Old Testament that referred to YHWH. The same words that were applied to God alone are now being applied to Jesus by God the Father. All of creation is to worship Jesus despite God's command to worship God, and God alone. I see no other good interpretation of this text other than to say Jesus is God.

"And besides in you mentioning the sabbath in which YOUR jesus broke, which was one of YOUR god"s hardcore laws which required death, as stated in RD1, YOUR jesus was required by YOUR god"s laws to-be-put-to-death. Now what part of that don"t you understand?"
So that we can address this with clarity, I will re-quote the passage in question.

John 5:16-18

The Jews had an understanding at this time that God did not have to obey the sabbath since He is the author of the sabbath. God does not follow the sabbath because He constantly must uphold and sustain the entire universe. When Jesus said "[my] Father is working until now, and I am working," He is referring to this fact. Jesus is claiming to also be the creator and the sustainer of the universe; Jesus is claiming to be God. This is why other accounts recount that He called Himself "Lord of the sabbath". Jesus can void the sabbath because He is God. Therefore, instead of being an error on Jesus' part, this demonstrates His deity.

"You are still stuck on this jesus crap? Its-not-up-to-jesus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sheesh!!!!!!!!! Its up to YOUR god. What part of that doesn"t sink into your noggin? YOUR jesus CANNOT self appoint himself as ANYTHING without the approval of his god."
The debate is over whether Jesus is God according to the Bible. Since the Bible affirms everything that Jesus affirms, establishing Jesus' own claims to deity are sufficient (although I will not stop there). Jesus doesn't need approval to be God; He just is God. Similarly, the Father does not need approval, nor does the Holy Spirit. Otherwise just would be really strange theology.

John 1:1-5,14
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Since you did not agree that this establishes the deity of Christ, I will go through this passage carefully and thoroughly. The word beginning in the original Greek literally means continuously through eternity past. This is saying that the Word, whatever the word may be, is eternal. This word has eternally existed with God and as God. This Word is the creator of all things made. This also means the Word is uncreated. Lest we wonder who this word, we are given the answer. This Word became flesh, dwelt among men, and was called the Son. This can only be Jesus, the eternal, uncreated, creator and sustainer of the universe who is God. There is no defensible way around this interpretation. While this is a fact, I don't think you are reasonable enough to accept the clear evidence, so I will provide more.

Colossians 1:15-19
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities"all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent. For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell,

Jesus is the head of all of creation since He created and sustains everything. He is the eternal God since in Him "he fullness of God was pleased to dwell." I will spare the details for now, but the context makes this even more clear.

Titus 2:3
waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ,
While this passage may be ambiguous in english, it is not in Greek. According to the original Greek and the Grandville Sharp Rule, "God" and "Savior" must both be referring to "Jesus." Since there has been no credible attack against this, the deity of Christ is unavoidably taught here.

The references to Jesus' deity are numerous. The ones provided barely scratch the surface but should be sufficient to establish my case.
backwardseden

Con

Just woke up from nearly 26 hours of sleep. So let"s see what yah got. Hopefully its something good and not the same repetitive boredom which a preschooler could easily debunk.
""Is because you cannot even prove that your god nor christ exists."" "I don't think you understand what you are asking of me. It is impossible to prove anything outside of math." Very good. At least you get that. Oh so many billions in existence don"t get that. Now here"s the thing" if god is god. He"d be able to erase all mathematical equations and easily prove himself. He"d certainly be able to erase ALL OF THE BIBLE as the bible, is text, in which this god of YOURS would never communicate in, text, the worst form of communication possible.

"I will make you this deal: I will prove that Jesus exists if you can prove that you exist." Sure not a problem. Right now you are reading this message that I have just typed to you thus proving my existence. Now ask your jesus to do the same. Whatsamatter? That"s not going to happen? You just lost an astronomically ignorant bet on your part.

"Again, I am going to ignore everything that has no connection to this debate." Well everything I"ve stated does connect to "YOUR" debate. So I guess what you say that does not connect to "YOUR" debate, I will ignore.

Um let"s see here" BANG! Right off the bat and this is for simpletons" Let"s look at verses John 5: 16-18 in which I misread from you. So its time to turn the tides in a very big way not only proving that your jesus worked on the sabbath, which was against your god"s laws AND THE FACT THAT YOUR JESUS LIED...
"16 And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay him, because he had done these things on the sabbath day. 17 But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work. 18 Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God." Yeah verse 17 - YOUR god works on the sabbath????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Tee hee.
Um nope. Try flatly guessing again. And since it is clear that not only did YOUR jesus break YOUR god"s laws, but lied in the process, it shows that this christ ( ah choo sneeze rag) was---not---the---messiah. So he could have NOT in any way be considered to be "almighty god according to the bible". Well that"s only true unless YOUR god DOES work on the sabbath in which case you may as well cancel the entire OT of its laws and practices and preachings of YOUR god which proves that YOUR god does not have ANY foresight to see that moment in time. So that means that YOUR god is NOT all knowing nor is he all powerful, nor does this god of YOURS know everything, nor is he a god, nor is he omnipotent, nor obviously is he perfect. Since this is true, his sidekick that"s not quite made it there but underneath him jesus is a useless scab. PATHETIC.
Regardless, once again, jesus cannot make himself equal with YOUR god. That lung power belongs with YOUR god and YOUR god only. YOUR jesus had no power to self appoint himself as the self appointed prophet.

Now do you want me to continue? I haven"t even gotten started. Sure let"s continue because that was fun.

"Thus far, your argument rests upon the proposition that because Jesus is called the Son of God, He cannot possibly be God." WRONG. I showed you in the above and the previous rounds that YOUR snookums jesus, in which you cannot prove has ever existed (strike 1 sextillion), and the fact that according to YOUR bible he was imperfect, AND according to YOUR rules "almighty god according to the bible" thus being imperfect in which you have dutifully ignored because you have no outs and you know it, thus showing your jesus was imperfect, in no way, shape or form is he a god. Of course the same is true with YOUR god.

"Since I believe Jesus is God, I will have the burden of proof to demonstrate that scripture does teach the deity of Christ." You have yet to do that. Not even close. You"ve been debunked at every turn trying to present verses claiming that YOUR jesus is the same as god is not the same as god claiming that jesus is god. (strike 2 sextillion)

"You will have the burden to show that Jesus is not God according the the Bible. If you want to cut out certain parts of the Bible to make your case, you may do so, but you also must justify why they should be cut out." Which I have done. Just because YOU reject the supposed "teachings" of your bible"s laugh tracks to prove the symphony of errors and excuses, that"s not my problem, that"s entirely yours.

Btw, atheists don"t have to prove one god damned thing. Its not us that becomes involved with superstitious rhetoric and nonsense that can"t be proved. That"s entirely up to you in which case you cannot do because everything that you have to prove your god is dependant upon faith. And faith is NOT a pathway to truth of any kind. Faith is gullibility. Atheists that become involved in religion want something tangible within your god. And that eating gnawing severe, well actually no evidence to support YOUR god doesn"t do you any good.

"I already showed that the Jews of Jesus' time understood the term to actually mean Jesus is God," Well duh george which way did he go? Um nope. Sorry snookums yah didn"t. Wow you don"t even know that the only difference between the jews and christians at that time was that the jews DID NOT believe in christ and christians did. Its what separates the OT from the NT. Duh. Its why the jews hated christ is because they realized that christ was trying to break YOUR god"s laws AND he rightly and justly should have been executed for it according to YOUR god"s laws. But nah, you cannot even read your fricken bible just like ALL christians. No exceptions. None. Its all splat right there. I even provided you with a verse (as you asked) to prove it in this round. Oh and btw, that"s what is taught in Sunday school if you are a jew, or at least I was. (strike 3 sextillion)

"then the term "son of God" doesn't necessarily mean Jesus is not God, and your argument fails." And you would have to prove it, naturally. But the term "son of god" shows YOUR jesus was "lower" than god, NOT on the same playing field.

Then you mention "If we"" whoa there kiddo. Stop right there. Um nope. Its flat out you. Its not "we".

"The traditional explanation is that Jesus is divinely eternally generated by the Father such that the Son remains uncreated." Which is an invented excuse. Continuing "This is not the approach I take. I simply believe"" believe, ah yes "the term "Son of God" refers to the fact" if its a belief, then its NOT a fact now is it? "that Jesus became a human being. Jesus is both God and man," So its NOT a fact due to the fact that its YOUR belief. "so He is both "Son of God" and "Son of Man" as stated in scripture." is So what?

"Jesus has always been God;" According to what demonite blockade? You? How would you know? What grade of pasty christmas lighting have you passed to get your degree in la la land have you passed to know any better? ""Jesus was granted the ability to prophesy, heal, and cast out demons." Not one prophecy has come true. And considering the FACT that he said he would come back within a generation, well that was a fib and a lie thus proving YOUR messiah is a fake and a liar and imperfect, and healing, casting out demons has ---never--- been proven so its only hearsay and utter B.S. thus proving YOUR christ was not the messiah. "On the other hand, I'm not sure what that has to do with the deity of Christ." That"s what it proves. (strike 4 sextillion)

"Christians don't care about their faith as much as they should," Actually so-called christians shouldn"t care about christianity - period because they are not christians. And there"s really no such-a-thing as anyone being a true christian to begin with.

"Also, I do not believe atheists have a good understanding of the Bible." Nobody does. Its an impossibility with translation after translation upon copies upon copies with no possible way to trace it back to the original. And YOUR god would ---never--- entrust his supposed words in text, the worst form of communication possible. That"s not evidence of any kind.
Atheists do have a better understanding of the bible than christians. Also atheists do believe in peace more than christians do. Sure google them both. (strike 5 sextillion)

"John 5:16-18" OK let"s get further into it since you clearly do not know what the all the flying yoga panzer divisions on earth you are squawking about.
"First off, if Jesus claims to be God in the Bible, then the Bible is teaching that Jesus is God, and I have won the debate."
OK then what you are saying is that if the bible were to have claimed that Pink, Katy Perry, The Spice Girls and Nirvana were all god"s, why by gum you"d believe it without any shred of proof whatsoever as YOUR bible has given you none. AND if it were to tell you to find someone with ringworm, smallpox, the bubonic plague, and all diseases ---ever--- and then once you were to have caught them, you"d make sure that you would get stung by several box jellish 1,000 times over and then you"d make sure that a special shamen would chop your head off just because YOUR bible told you so, well you"d be gracious enough to do it? There"s 0 difference.

"but then we are over the issue of whether scripture is reliable rather than what scripture teaches." Well um no because its neither and YOUR precious jesus did lie. "Since the debate is about what the Bible teaches," OK so according to you, then your holy salivating invisible savior, who in which you cannot even prove exists, teaches others to flat-out-lie. Now we"re finally getting somewhere. (strike 6 sextillion)

Summary
The bible shows a lot of hate and evil. But I never knew jesus flat out lied according to the bible.

I'm out of space
buildingapologetics

Pro

Please read my entire post once before you start replying. If you had done that before, you would have avoided a lot of your mistakes. So far, you have managed to throw every possible cheap shot at me, Christ, my God, and the Bible, all without even coming close to showing that Jesus is not God. The only reason I'm still here is that I'm going to enjoy burying you in the evidence that Jesus really is God according to the Bible. One thing is clear: you are not an atheist because of reason; you are an atheist based on purely emotional reasons. I get the feeling that if Christians believed Jesus is not God, you would be on the other side of this debate just to spite them. You clearly have no understanding of this debate considering you use weak verses and have not even brought up the common verses cited against the deity of Christ. The following have been your arguments against the deity of Christ:

1) Jesus is the Son of God so He cannot possibly be God.
This ignores the possibility that Jesus can be BOTH. If you don't think this is a possibility, the burden is on you.

2) Jesus broke the sabbath.
I already explained how this actually helps to establish the deity of Christ. You ignored my argument, so I feel no need to reinvent the wheel here.

3) Writing is a poor way for God to communicate to us
This has nothing to do with the debate, and it is false. Whether or not the Bible is a poor form of communication, it still teaches that Jesus is God.

After making these terrible arguments, you proceeded to ignore the clear texts that establish the deity of Christ including John1:1-4,14, Colossians 1:15-19, Titus 2:13, and Hebrews 1. Until you address and interpret these texts, you have not held up your end of the debate.

"Sure not a problem. Right now you are reading this message that I have just typed to you thus proving my existence."
Not so fast. You have provided evidence of your existence, but you have not proven your existence to me. Maybe you are just an advanced computer program replying to me, or maybe this is all a figment of my imagination. There is no way you can actually prove that you exist. In fact, if the multiverse theory is correct, it is most probable that you are a figment of my imagination. You can't even prove that you exist LOL.

"OK so according to you, then your holy salivating invisible savior, who in which you cannot even prove exists, teaches others to flat-out-lie."
Pretty sure that's not what I said. You are simply misinterpreting and misunderstanding what I said. Sorry that you can't do logic.

With that, I think I just addressed all of your arguments against of deity of Christ. If you have any more, let me know. Now I shall proceed to provide even more evidence that Jesus is God according to the Bible.

Revelation 1:8
I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty."
"
Revelation 21:5-7
And he who was seated on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new." Also he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true." And he said to me, "It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the spring of the water of life without payment. The one who conquers will have this heritage, and I will be his God and he will be my son.

Revelation 22:12-16
"Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense with me, to repay each one for what he has done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end."
Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life and that they may enter the city by the gates. Outside are the dogs and sorcerers and the sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.
"I, Jesus, have sent my angel to testify to you about these things for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star."
"
Revelation 1:17-18
When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand on me, saying, "Fear not, I am the first and the last, and living one.
I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.

The first two passages above say that God is the Alpha and the Omega. This is a unique title of God. The second two apply this same title to Jesus. The only logical conclusion from this is that Jesus is God since He is the Alpha and the Omega.

Isaiah 9:6
For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given;
and the government shall be upon his shoulder,
and his name shall be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Father of Eternity, Prince of Peace.

This is obviously a prophecy concerning Jesus, our Mighty God. If you think this refers to someone else, who else is our Mighty God?

John 17:5
And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed.

Is this something a mere man could say? No mere man existed before birth, and no one is able to have the same glory as God, except God alone.

Isaiah 43:25
"I, I am he who blots out your transgressions for my own sake, and I will not remember your sins.

1 John 2:12
I am writing you, little children, because your sins have been forgiven you for the sake of his name.

The first passage says that YHWH is the one who blots out sins for His own sake. The second passage says that it is Jesus who blots out sins for His namesake. Therefore, Jesus is YHWH.

John 10:27-33
My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father"s hand. I and the Father are one."
The Jews picked up stones again to stone him. Jesus answered them, "I have shown you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you going to stone me?" The Jews answered him, "It is not for a good work that we are going to stone you but for blasphemy, because you, being a man, make yourself God."

The Jews understood, because of the Old Testament, that it is only God who has the Power to blot out sins and give eternal life. This is why they knew Jesus was claiming to be God.

John 8:55-59
But you have not known him. I know him. If I were to say that I do not know him, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and I keep his word. Your father Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day. He saw it and was glad." So the Jews said to him, "You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?" Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am." So they picked up stones to throw at him, but Jesus hid himself and went out of the temple.

In this passage, Jesus is obviously claiming to be God. He is claiming to be currently existing before Abraham. This is only possible for God since He is beyond time. This is why Jesus alludes to Exodus 3 in which God calls Himself "I AM". By claiming to be I AM, Jesus is claiming to be the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

2 Peter 1:1
Simeon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours by the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ:

Scripture calls Jesus our God and Savior, so this ends the debate. This is another example of the Grandville Sharp rule that was found in Titus 2:13.

1 John 5:20
And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true; and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.

Here is another example of Jesus being called the one true God.

John 20:27-29
Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here, and see my hands; and put out your hand, and place it in my side. Do not disbelieve, but believe." Thomas answered him, "My Lord and my God!" Jesus said to him, "Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

Thomas says TO HIM "My Lord and my God!" As a rabbi, it would have been Jesus' duty to denounce such blasphemy. Instead, because He is God, He blessed everyone who believed that He is God.

I have just provided you with many passages that all testify to the deity of Christ, but I still have not even scratched the surface. I look forward to you most insightful interpretations of the above texts.
backwardseden

Con

"Please read my entire post once before you start replying." Well you should do the same rather than being a hypocrite because you know you haven"t but at least I can admit it. Normally what I do before anything is I read the person"s last few sentences and then I start from the top. Its a trick that"s been pulled one me twice. Once in college, then never again and someone else tried it and it didn"t work.

Now in my previous post, I only made the one mistake, big whoop.

You on the other hand have made a lot. You are right, I throw cheap sh-ts. Oh sorry, shots when someone like you has to invent excuses for something in which they clearly know nothing about and yet they try to pretend that they do. And when you do that mmm mmmm mmm mmm mmmm you then flat out deserve those cheap shots and or insults.

Christ, YOUR god? WOW. Hold on there hot stuff. You make it sound like this delivery pizza boy god is a possession of yours. RIGHT? That"s yet another reason why there"s no such a thing as christianity. Who gets the grand old hairy booby prize that is YOUR god?
Oh please I"m not going to get into it with you YET AGAIN pointing out to how YOUR jesus is NOT god. I more than proved it. If YOU do not wish to accept that proof, that"s entirely YOUR problem whereas billions would accept it. That"s because they, unlike you, can think, reason, rationalize, use common sense, use logic in which you obviously point blank have none just like YOUR god, jesus, religion, bible, and all the evils and hate that goes along with it. But then again you have not read YOUR bible which is an abomination.

But let"s be real honest here" you have yet to prove in any way that YOUR jesus, who you still cannot prove has ever existed, is a supreme deity/ god according to your bible. So what I am going to do is simply ignore the stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with the subject of the debate from now on.

Wow. Not calling me an atheist. That stings. You drove the sword right through my wittle wost wosey belly. You don't even know what an atheist is. Even the slightest doubt in belief in YOUR god who hates children for jeez sakes, IS AN ATHEIST.

But then again, if you are intelligent, which you have not shown the slightest signs of, there's no way you are a christian. After all you have to, according to your holy jesus, give up your family and hate them, and give up all of your possessions. So how is it that you have a computer to send me or anyone else messages with? And I'm not stupid, I know you don't hate your family and not abandoned them for simpleton air in which you cannot prove. So knock it off with YOUR christianity crap.

1) Nope that burden of proof is upon you.

2) I didn"t ignore your argument. I debunked it.

3) "Writing is a poor way for God to communicate to us" That"s not what I said.
"This has nothing to do with the debate," Oh but it does. "and it is false." And it is true thus proving that your god is not a god at all thus debunking christianity. We"ll see if there are enough characters in this RD to prove you wrong as always. If not, perhaps in in RD5. Well as it turns out, there's PLENTY of room here, so we'll get into it.

Hebrews 1: 3-13 Um nope. Do we REALLY have to go through this? You quoted gibberish from some supposed bible which is a clear abomination and I"m NOT going to search all over the place to find out which translation you are quoting from which clearly got it wrong in multiple steps with gargantuan errors and mistakes which is one reason why YOUR god would never choose text as a form of communication, the worst form of communication possible so YOU and billions of others can get it wrong. I mean the first sentence does not even match at all. Try harder.

Here"s a website for you https://www.bible.com... - Bible Versions in which it lists 1,666 versions of YOUR bible. It only lists 50 English versions. I happen to know there are over 300. Total languages are 1188. Now you tell me which---version---is---the---correct---version---that---EVERYBODY---should---follow---and---you---prove---it. And then you tell me that the translation that YOU are reading is interpreted the EXACT same way by every---single---person---on---planet---earth. Until then, then you cannot prove your case at all that YOUR jesus IS god/ a supreme deity. However I just googled "number of english language versions of the bible" and up came "The Bible has been translated into many languages from the biblical languages of Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek. As of October 2017 the full Bible has been translated into 670 languages, the New Testament alone into 1521 languages and Bible portions or stories into 1121 other languages." Read it closely. Both are probably correct.

So I"m not even going to bother with the verses you"ve presented until YOU get it right. Oh and btw, there"s no such a thing as getting it right because after translation after translation after translation after copies upon copies upon copies with absolutely no possible way to trace it back to the original there"s NOBODY that interprets correctly, including YOU. Got that hot stuff? So according to YOUR bible, I most certainly did debunk YOUR christ as a supreme deity/ god depending on which translation YOU read.

So now I"m going to debunk all of christianity and prove that text is the worst form of communication possible AND that YOUR god would ---never--- use text as a form of communication.

"If god is all knowing and he knows the future of all events and he wrote a book that can only be interpreted as if it endorses slavery and if its heinous violence against your children against your neighbors" how could a god be that omnipotent and devise a book where we can"t distinguish between the law of Israel and god"s law? I mean their interwoven where we have metaphor and fact and nobody can distinguish the two. We don"t know what we"re supposed to take figuratively. We don"t know what we"re supposed to take literally. Was it actually a tree? I mean come on. How can anyone distinguish this. I mean come on. It doesn"t make any sense. It doesn"t matter how its translated. It doesn"t matter what version. If it was written by an omnipotent being there would be ONE VERSION. And there would be only ONE WAY to interpret it because it would be written well." Aron Ra
"Actually it wouldn"t be written at all. What"s wrong with your god comin" down and talking to people? "Hey you know some of that stuff that"s in the book? I"m here to correct it." Matt Dillahunty

"We have to rely on copies of copies of anonymous authors with no originals and the textural testimony to a miracle for example, there"s no amount of reports, anecdotal reports that is sufficient to justify in believing that actually happened as reported. And anything that would qualify as a god would clearly understand this and if it wanted to clearly convey this to people in a way that is believable would not be relying on ---TEXT--- to do so. And this to me is the nail in the coffin for christianity. The god that christians believe in is amazingly ---STUPID---!!! If it actually wants to achieve its goal by spreading its word to humanity by relying on text, by relying on languages that die off, by relying on anecdotal testimony, that"s not a pathway to truth. And anything that would qualify for a god would know this.which shows either god does not exist or doesn"t care enough about the people to understand the nature of evidence to actually present it. Now which of those two possibilities is accurate?" Matt Dillahunty

"If jesus and Muhammad and abraham and moses had never been born, which in any case I tend to dabble, if all their stories were untrue were suddenly found and everyone had to admit it some people I know would show panic. Now what would we do? We"d have no morals suddenly. What could be more nonsensical than that? As the matter of fact the position that we occupy would---be---precisely---the---same as it is now if none of these texts had ever been written, as if none of these lacerations had ever been made. We would still have to reason together about how how to treat one another, about how to build a just city, and about how to have irony and a sense of humor." Christopher Hitchens

And then the other stuff you mentioned has nothing to do with the debate, so its automatically dropped.
"Not so fast"" Didn"t read it. Typical christian nothingness gibberish form the start.

"Pretty sure that's not what I said"" Has nothing to do with the debate. Regardless, your religion has nothing to do with thinking, reasoning, rationalizing, common sense, no logic. That"s why it is failing. That"s why ALL scientists of merit and credibility do not agree with YOUR religion, god/ hate/ evil who hates children.

"With that, I think I just addressed"" Nope. Try RD1 in you being the utter failure that you knowingly are and ignoring the imperfections of your so-called supreme deity jesus thus proving he IS NOT a supreme deity with the Atheist Republic article in which you cannot refute nor debunk, you did not say anything against it because you 100% know that your pathetic jesus is false. Too bad.

And as stated until you get a proper version of the bible with proper verses, at least you can try, the verses you present will be ignored.
buildingapologetics

Pro

Well this has been an interesting debate. I have provided plenty of passages of scripture with interpretation based on the original Greek. My opponent has failed to provide evidence from the Bible that Jesus is not God, and my opponent has failed to address the clear texts that I have cited. So far those texts include:
John 1:1-4,14
Colossians 1:15-19
Titus 2:13
Hebrews 1
Revelation 1:8 | Revelation 21:5-7 | Revelation 22:12-16 | Revelation 1:17-18
Isaiah 9:6
John 17:5
Isaiah 43:25 | 1 John 2:12
John 10:27-33
John 8:55-59 | Exodus 3
2 Peter 1:1
1 John 5:20
John 20:27-29

Now let's take a moment to see my opponent's brilliant refutation of these texts:
"... I"m NOT going to search all over the place to find out which translation you are quoting from which clearly got it wrong in multiple steps with gargantuan errors and mistakes..."
My opponent does not tell us how he knows the text has errors; perhaps he just feels it in his heart. I would like to know my opponent's training in Greek that gives him the authority to claim that these translations are incorrect.

The explanation of incorrect translation is a telling one; it means my opponent knows I have proven my case. Because the text is so indisputably clear, my opponent had to say it was mistranslated. In the process, he reveals how little he knows about the translation of the Bible in the first place:
"So I"m not even going to bother with the verses you"ve presented until YOU get it right. Oh and btw, there"s no such a thing as getting it right because after translation after translation after translation after copies upon copies upon copies with absolutely no possible way to trace it back to the original there"s NOBODY that interprets correctly, including YOU. Got that hot stuff?"

First off, thank you for admitting that you have not addressed the evidence. Secondly, we do not need to translate the Bible multiple times. We have plenty of manuscripts in the original language, so we can translate directly into English. This is why if you pick up an ESV, KJV, NKJV, ASV, NASB, NIV, etc, they will all teach the deity of Christ. Translation is not an issue. I have provided way too many passages for this to be a plausible argument. Thirdly, while we do not have the original manuscripts, we can reconstruct the originals using textual criticism. This is why even skeptics like Bart Ehrman believe the original said just what our Bibles say.

To summarize my argument: Jesus referred to Himself as God, was called God by His followers, was called God by the Father, was called God in prophecy, is worshiped as God, is called God by Paul, possesses all of the attributes of God, and carries all of the titles of God according to scripture.

To summarize my opponent's argument: "the verses you present will be ignored."
backwardseden

Con

No it hasn"t been an interesting debate because you"ve handed me nothing but Jack and Jill nursery rhymes for preschoolers, if that. In fact its been rather *yawn* dull and dreary.
In the original "Greek"? Really? According to what? You? How would you know? And who transcribed it into English to make it a worthy translation? Duh, um no one. Where are the numbered verses? That"s one of the reasons why what you"ve presented doesn"t hold up for flattened chocolate brownies. Now you study up on some ENGLISH versions of the Torah. Got it smarty? THEN you compare it to YOUR bible.

Oh and btw, it still doesn"t matter because there"s not one version that has it right upon translation upon translation upon translation upon copies upon copies upon copies which in no possible way can be traced back to that exact original in which was flat out proved to you that IF YOUR GOD HAD ANY INTELLIGENCE WHATSOEVER would NOT use text as a form of communication, the worst form of communication possible to YOUR god.

My opponent has not provided any information showing that jesus is god because he cannot prove his god, thus he cannot prove his jesus is a god.

My opponent has ignored in RD1 that his jesus is not perfect so I will post this again thus proving that jesus is not god" This is taken from an Atheist Republic article...

Yep and since jesus was a false prophet, he---was---not---a---god.

More proof in which nothing can be said against and or countered"
John 5: 16-18 "16 And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay him, because he had done these things on the sabbath day. 17 But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work. 18 Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God."
Wow. 2 things. 1. Well first of all the verses prove that jesus was NOT the savior, but a monetized leech homebody humanoid who worked on the sabbath and thus by HIS god's laws should have rightly been executed. This jesus character did not have the powers to change HIS god's laws. Nor did HIS god grant him any favoritism to change HIS god's laws so that he could. 2. jesus is saying in verse 17 that his god is working on the sabbath. So verse 17 shows that jesus flat out lied about his god thus taking the "thou shalt not covet" thingy to a whole new level, and "thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor" only here its against his heavenly as high as it goes, thus once again showing that jesus is---not---a---god. After all there"s no way in hell (pun deliberately intended) that HIS superior and commander in snookums chief would EVER work on the sabbath for any reason. Yeah, if ---ANYBODY--- really thinks that god is actually going to work on the sabbath for ANY reason... If so then the entire rules and laws of god are false and the OT is worthless. So is god. Ehhhtttt. Bzzzztttt. WRONG!!! Sorry. Its jesus that is wrong and false as proven right here in those three little verses and thus christianity is also false because jesus is false.

Ab-so-lu-te-ly the jews had every right to think in their little beady heads to execute the so-called starchy potato christian messiah unproved jesus who wasn"t a messiah at all.

Summary
Since jesus worked on the sabbath, lied about his tongue in cheek god, was clearly not perfect, did not live up to his word and did not come back within a generation, he is clearly NOT a god.

My fellow debater does not get that his god would never choose text as a form of communication, the worst form of communication possible. And even if so, if his god would choose as such it would be ONE book and it would be told well so that ALL could understand it.
Not only that, but no, no sorry, text would not be an issue, because this god of his would simply come on down and talk to us. Now that would be evidence as an example.
My fellow debater because of these problems listed in this RD has provided no evidence and HIS version of jesus may be a god to HIM, but not to the rest of the world.

christianity is well divided. If someone was to go from church to church, unlike my fellow debater who clearly hasn"t, nor has he read other other versions of his bible to compare differences which is rather point blank obvious so he invented excuses instead, carrying his whipper snapper bible with him, no matter which version that person was carrying, there would never be a consensus.

And lastly and stating this again... My opponent has not provided any information showing that jesus is god because he cannot prove his god, thus he cannot prove his jesus is a god.
Posted by backwardseden 6 months ago
backwardseden
@lIlIlIllIIIIllIlI - Well yeah it is his place to determine who belongs on this website especially especially especially IF it it geared and causes harm to someone, just as it is everyone's determination to do as just, just as nearly everyone, including you probably has tried to get me banned or most assuredly thinking about it. But the difference is, is I do not in any way cause harm to anyone. Or another way to get someone banned, surely, is if they keep spamming the site as just happened yesterday, or is they spam someone else which I did spam the site with a lot of debates a while back but not anymore. Or another way is if the debater deliberately signs up, and or deliberately takes on a debate to freeze it so it does not gain any attention which happens A LOT which I don't do. There are MANY reasons a person has the right to determine IF someone should have the right to debate here or not. Now the questions is, is will that determination be heard by others and or those in authority to take action or will it remain a dud?
Posted by lIlIlIllIIIIllIlI 6 months ago
lIlIlIllIIIIllIlI
MRAAJ, it isn't in your place to determine who belongs on this website. It's public domain, free to anyone.
Posted by MRAAJ 6 months ago
MRAAJ
I just want to expose FollowerofChrist1955, for he does not know when to shut up. For more information see the link below, Its clear to say we don't get along, and I am proving how he doesn't belong on a debate forum by simply quoting one source as a reference, with no debate tact whatsoever.

https://esteemology.com...

He brought this upon himself for trying to keep my views quiet, we'll show him now.
Posted by backwardseden 6 months ago
backwardseden
Followerofjesusjuditsu - Answer = no. But you cannot prove one god damned thing as always.
Posted by FollowerofChrist1955 6 months ago
FollowerofChrist1955
ANSWER: YES
Posted by backwardseden 6 months ago
backwardseden
Actually no it doesn't. I just looked over 4 different translations of YOUR bible. If there were ---any--- truth into what you say, then somewhere within those translations, the word jesus/ christ/ messiah or whatever would have somehow popped up. That is yet another reason why YOUR god would ---never--- use text as a form of communication so we all could get it wrong. Btw, the versions I looked at are the most popular... the ASV, ESV, KJV, and NIV.
Posted by SirNoodles518 6 months ago
SirNoodles518
Actually, John 1:1 does refer to Jesus as God. The actual translation of "Word" is "L"gos" which is another name/title for Jesus Christ. Then, in John 1:14, it says "And the Word (L"gos) became flesh and dwelt among us."
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 6 months ago
dsjpk5
buildingapologeticsbackwardsedenTied
Reasons for voting decision: The first round was for acceptance, but Con used it to make his first argument. This is poor conduct.