KingKasual
lannan13

Is Jesus Christ an allegory for the sun?

lannan13

KingKasual

Pro

I've researched many things and believe that Jesus Christ is an allegory for the sun.
lannan13

Con

I accept. I wish to here my opponent's opening arguements.
KingKasual

Pro

Many deities through out the history of man have had a similar history to Christ.

This theory is explored in films like Religulous and Zeitgheist.

Horus, Mithra, Krishna, and Dionysus are the most common examples used. They all have these similarities:

All were born of a virgin around the time of the winter solstice in a barn/cave.
Some share the adornment by three kings who follow an eastern star.
Some were teachers by 12 and baptized by 30 in a river.
Some had 12 disciples.
All were crucified and ressurected in three days time.

Horus was a sky god who encompassed both the moon and sun. He was worshiped in the Predynastic Period in Egypt (dating back to 3100BC). He is the deity I feel had the most effect on the Hebrews interwound with his native culture. My initial theory is that worship of Jesus arose as a Hebrew cult that drew inspiration from similar culture's sun gods.
lannan13

Con

Though I hate to say, but Jesus wasn't born during the winter solstice as a matter of fact he was born during the summer. The reason for this is that the Catholic Church wanted to convert many people to Christianity and many people celebrated a holliday during the Winter Solistice. The pagans celebrated the holliday so they could get the sun's attention and get the sun to come back toward the Earth saying, "Hey! Overhere! Look at what's going on here." (I'll bring up the sourse for this up next round.) So the Catholics moved the celebration to December 25th on order to convert many pagens. The Catholics have been know to do this many tomes as the have done this with other days like All Saints Day unordered to convert the Irish.

Allegory is define as a story that can be interprated into a spiratual.or political meaning. So this debate is on weather or not the life of Jesus Christ can be interprated into him being the sun. My opponent States that Jesus rose from a Hebrewcult, but as cult is defined as a group of people with holy rites so that would quallify every know deluging as a cult.But Jesus
KingKasual

Pro

I do agree that early-medieval Christians assimilated beliefs and traditions from other religions but that is, in essessnce, what I'm saying.

I think early Christians assimilated the stories they heard about sun gods and converted it into something Torah-esque. Resulting in the messiah.

Monotheism was brand new in these times, and the thought of one god was very strange. From my view point these ancient people were willing to grasp the idea of one god but many of the religions in these times followed planets. The sun is the most dynamic thing in the sky and I'm willing to bet they combined the thought of one god with the fact that the sun is the biggest and often most powerful god.
lannan13

Con

http://www.herealittletherealittle.net...
http://dictionary.reference.com...
http://dictionary.reference.com...;(these are sourses from last round.)

Monotheism
My opponet states that monotheism is new during this time, however, that is false Judism has been around for quite sometime and as a matter of fact here are a list of religons that were in the B.C. times Zoroastrianism, the Rastafari movement, Judism, and Sikhism. As you see here there have been many monotheist religons in the B.C. era so it wasn't such a new thing. http://www.conservapedia.com...

Jesus
What my opponet states is false, because Jesus admitts in the Bible that he is the Messiah, so they couldn't pick it up anywhere that he was just so they could get people to sign up. Proof that he existed, the cloth in which he wiped this face on still has his face on it.

More proof is the writtings of Flavis Josephus who wrote an extensive history of the Jews and wrote this, "" About this time there lived Jesus, a wise man, if indeed one ought to call him a man. For he was one who performed surprising deeds and was a teacher of such people as accept the truth gladly. He won over many Jews and many of the Greeks. He was the Messiah. And when, upon the accusation of the principal men among us, Pilate had condemned him to a cross, those who had first come to love him did not cease. He appeared to them spending a third day restored to life, for the prophets of God had foretold these things and a thousand other marvels about him. And the tribe of the Christians, so called after him, has still to this day not disappeared. " - Jewish Antiquities, 18.3.3.63
So you can see here that Jesus existed and that the Catholic church didn't just make him up to promise old folks comfort in their final days. http://www.jesusevidence.org...
KingKasual

Pro

KingKasual forfeited this round.
lannan13

Con

All points extended.
KingKasual

Pro

KingKasual forfeited this round.
lannan13

Con

All points extended vote con.
Posted by Biochemistry92 3 years ago
Biochemistry92
First things first, as to why this argument ended is beyond me. Lannan13, your last few posts are shallow at best. The shroud of Turin is and has been known to be fraud. As a man of truth I have come to believe in Carbon-dating and it has given no day what so ever near Christ's time. As for his face being on the piece of cloth that could be anything but as stated above not the face of Christ.
The historian Josephus has been known for hundreds of years to be a forgery, in fact you need no academic sources to confirm this just average logic. How is it that a great historian misses all of Jesus miracles and furthermore the place he came from, the type of life he lived, and last but not least his divine message. This is an obvious forgery and reminds me of a hastily correction by a student to fit ones needs. Understand that both of your arguments have been refuted dozens of times by both scientific and philosophical inquires over the ages. Know that KingKasual was obviously not prepared to handle a decent argument with sources (which I commended you on using). Whether Jesus is an allegorical myth or not is a laughable topic as the evidence is overwhelming with time being the only shroud left to lead us astray in the quest for certainty. The sources I have linked down below are not necessary as the shroud of Turin is downright known to be a false witness (common knowledge) The text related to Josephus is a blatant forgery consideration is behalf on the point made above, and consensus of Academics.
Sources- http://en.wikipedia.org... (knock wikipedia all you want all other sources that aren't academic in nature are laughable at best in authenticity)
http://en.wikipedia.org... (once again the amount of dotcom websites that surface through google is truly the death of truth.)
Posted by KingKasual 4 years ago
KingKasual
It's ok, you made some great points I'm stumped at the moment.
Posted by lannan13 4 years ago
lannan13
Sorry bout the last part my computer must of shortened at the end of round 2
Vote Placed by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
KingKasuallannan13Tied
Reasons for voting decision: While Pro's contention that the story of Jesus incorporated aspects from pre-existing stories is plausible, he never proved that Jesus was an allegory for the sun. Indeed, he posted that he was stumped and then forfeited the remaining rounds. Thus, arguments and conduct to Con.
Vote Placed by 1Devilsadvocate 4 years ago
1Devilsadvocate
KingKasuallannan13Tied
Reasons for voting decision: F.F.