Is Jesus God or not?

A plethora of biblical texts agree that Jesus is God:

Jesus Christ is eternal (Micah 5:2, John 1:1-3,Colossians 1:17).He is omnipotent (Matthew 28:19, Ephesians 1:21,Philippians 2:9).He is very God ( Colossians 2:9).He is "God" in the strictest sense of the word ( John 1:1, 18, 20:28, Hebrews 1:8).He is "our great God" (Titus 2:13).He is specifically called the "one Lord" or "one Jehovah" (Deuteronomy 6:4;1 Corinthians 8:6).He is of same nature with the Father (Matthew 28:19,John 5:18, 10:30).He receives latriatic worship (Daniel 7:14 LXX;Revelation 5:13,14:4, 22:3) and receives prayers ( John 14:14;1 Corinthians 16:22).Any biblical text that speaks of Christ as "inferior" to the Father is in reference to his being "the only begotten Son" (John 3:16) as well as to his being "fully human" (Philippians 2:7-8).

Bottom line: The biblical teaching is that Jesus Christ is "truly, wholly and very God himself."

Firstly, to accept Con's evidence, we have to accept the truth of the christian bible. He's used biblical evidence to support his point, and if the bible is unreliable, the entirety of his first round's argument is too.
What we currently know about the bible is that it was authored between 1500 BCE and 300 CE, that it had multiple authors who ignored and sometimes directly contradicted one another, and crucially that all the gospels were written years after Jesus' death, and they too contradict each other, as well as current historical fact.
For example, we know that there wasn't a census around Jesus' birth. Even if there was, why would Caesar require his subjects to return to their birthplaces? Some gospels leave out the census completely.
With this in mind, there will be some who accept the bible as literal fact. For them, let us analyse Con's 'evidence'. He says that Jesus is "fully human". He also claims that Jesus is God. So, it's like this - if he is correct, then:

A: Jesus is God
B: Jesus is human
Therefore, C: God is human

I probably don't need to explain to you why Con might find this conclusion unsettling. Especially since the bible goes on and on about how God is greater than everything.
If Con wants to accept that God is a mere human, then it is possible that, for the thirty three years of his life, Jesus was God (if you ignore everything the bible says about God being omnipotent and the supreme lawgiver and the rest). Con also has to accept that like all humans, God was mortal, and is in fact dead. So right now, Jesus would not be God. He'd probably be soil, or possibly mud.
I eagerly await the next round,

radz forfeited this round.

Con has forfeited, therefore I claim victory in this round.

Con apologises for forfeiting Round 2 due lack of internet connexion that occured because it had been raining cats and dogs here in Metro Manila, Luzon, Philippines wherein I reside.

Pro should not win this debate because he did not refute the original proposition of this debate challenge.Pro tried to deviate from the argument by focusing on the Bible pe rse than on the Biblical argument that he ought to refute.

If Pro wants to win this debate, he must comply with the debate challenge.So, Pro start addressing the original propositon.

In this debate, I don't have to prove that Jesus is not God. I would say that that would be more or less impossible.
All I have to do is to cast enough doubt on the claim that he is for people to be undecided, because it's Con's job to prove that Jesus is God (because he made the claim, the burden of proof is on him), and thus far he hasn't because the only evidence he has offered to support the claim is useless because the bible is an unreliable source, for the reasons I gave previously. Also, I focused on the bible because it is the crux of Con's argument. If he has other evidence, let him show it.
Just for fun, let's see what Con needs to prove to win this argument:
a) There is currently a God
b) The same God also existed approximately two thousand years ago
c) The same God incarnated itself as a human, then killed itself whilst speaking to itself begging itself to forgive the people who were killing it (if you believe the bible)
He must prove all of this to be not only possible, but definitely true, before we consider the claim that the two are in fact the same person. Observers, I implore you. Can you, by any stretch of reason infer from any of the argument that Con has presented that any of the above are even close to true? If not, you know how to vote.
Thank you,

This debate should be cancelled due to the inappropriate responses my opponent has been arguing.

The fact is that my debate challenge is in error: I should be the Pro and not the Con.

Therefore, this debate challenge is indeed of need of stopping.

How exactly are my responses inappropriate? I'm challenging the basic assumptions of your argument - if there is no good reason to believe that they are true then this whole debate is meaningless. The question 'is Jesus God?' is null until it is proved that the assumptions contained within the argument (which I outlined previously) are in fact true.
I agree that my opponent should be Pro.
I also support ending the debate.
Posted by radz 1 year ago
@Keytarhero, Yes. I believe that Jesus is God and I should be Pro LOL
Posted by ALGHAWI 1 year ago
For the christian's i have on question i want you to answer . We in islam believe that the bible is the god words but over the years it been corrupted .

THe question is do you believe that the quran is the god words also or not ?
I want an answer
Posted by Bible 1 year ago

No other ancient book is as well attested as the Bible with its thousands of ancient manuscripts in the original languages that show the Bible has been the same for approximately 1,500 years.

History also shows God has been protecting his word. In 168 B.C.E., Syrian King Antiochus IV tried to seek out the inspired books of the Law to burn them. Roman Emperor Diocletian"s decree to demolish the meeting places of the Christians and to burn their Scriptures was issued in 303 C.E. The destruction continued for a decade. After the 11th century, popes led the efforts to suppress the spread of Bible knowledge, opposing the translation of the Scriptures into languages of the common people.

Despite these attacks from Satan, we not only still have the Bible but it is the most translated and distributed book in the world!

On the other hand, most of the Quran was lost at the battle of yamama. Abu Bakr gathered what remained to prevent more from being lost, but then caliph Uthman burned these original writings and wrote his own version of the Quran which Muhammad's four most trusted teachers that you would go to for the recitation of the Quran did not agree with. However, they themselves s=could not agree on the correct recitation of the Quran. Some believed it had extra chapters, and others that it was missing chapters.

So, in addition to all the evidence that God has been protecting his word the Bible, we have the evidence that the Quran was not perfectly preserved. Why, then, should I believe God would be unable of protecting the 66 books of the Bible and would need some other book written hundreds of years after the death of Jesus?
Posted by ALGHAWI 1 year ago
@donderpants you said that the bible that they found at least thousand years ago , but Jesus brought the bible more then two thousand years ago . So even if the one that they found is old you can't be 100% sure that it is the same version that Jesus brought from god . I think the time that the bible has changed . Exacly after Jesus left and not thousand years later . Because god kept sending massengers to humanity but the christian's didn't believe in them because they thought that Jesus is the true god .

I don't know if you noticed but i said after jesus left and not die because we Muslim's believe that Jesus has been raised bodily to heaven by god and he will be sent again at the end of time .
Posted by Donderpants 1 year ago
They recently discovered an incredibly old bible, by which I mean it's at least a thousand years ago. Almost word for word what it is today. So while in tiny ways it's been redone, it's almost word for word what it was originally. I think what you refer to about someone having to rewrite the bible is actually them sorting out which bits are true and false. Large bits that seemed to contradict other bits were removed. This was right near the start of Christianity. Maybe one or two of the rejects were actually true, but all the bible references used are from the bits of the bible that are almost certainly true. So biblical references do in fact show pretty much what was there originally. Now, is the entire bible true? Probably not. But for a religious debate, the only real thing we can use is bible references, and enough of it is what it was originally that it's unlikely you'll refer to anything false. Still, you raise a good point. But keep that in mind.
Posted by ALGHAWI 1 year ago
@bible . I want to say again i know that your christian but we cant accept proves from that bible . Because and this is a common fact that the bible was rewritten many times by many authors. When you talk about the holy book it has to be the god words and not some authers who might wrote something wrong in it . I don't know exactly why it has to be rewritten. But do you actually thinks that the god the only god have made mistakes that it needed to change . I heard one time someone says that the bible was rewritten because it some how got lost and they had to wrote it by heart again , i don't know what is your opinion but if you thinks that the bible rewritten because it got lost do think that the ones that wrote it again by heart will not make mistakes . Maybe if you told someone to write his book the that he wrote again, he will write it differently . Tell me what do you believe
Posted by Bible 1 year ago
The following are verses that show Jehovah is not Jesus, in case you want to argue that:

John 8:54 - "Jesus answered [the Jews]: "If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father that glorifies me, he who you say is your God.""

The Old Testament clearly identifies Jehovah as the God the Jews. Jesus here made it clear that Jehovah is his Father, and that they are distinct individuals.

Psalms 110:1 - "The utterance of Jehovah to my [David"s] Lord is: "Sit at my right hand until I place your enemies as a stool for your feet.""

In Matthew 22:41-45, Jesus explained that he is David's "Lord" in this Psalm. So, rather than being Jehovah, Jesus is the one to whom Jehovah's words were directed.
Posted by Bible 1 year ago
Joel 2:27 - "I am JEHOVAH your God"there is NO OTHER!"

John 17:3 - "This means everlasting life, their coming to know you [the Father], THE ONLY true God, and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ."

1 Corinthians 8:6 - "there is actually to us one God, THE FATHER"

Ephesians 4:6 - "one God and FATHER of all, who is OVER ALL and through all and in all."
Posted by Bible 1 year ago
The Bible says MANY times that the Father, Jehovah, is only one, and that there is no other God besides him: the Son is not God and the holy spirit is not God.

Deuteronomy 4:35, 39 - "You yourselves have been shown these things so you will know that JEHOVAH is the true God; THERE IS NO OTHER besides him. Know, therefore, on this day, and take it to heart that JEHOVAH is the true God in the heavens above and on the earth beneath. THERE IS NO OTHER. "

Deuteronomy 32:39 - "See now that I [Jehovah], even I, am he, and THERE IS NO GOD WITH ME."

2 Samuel 7:22 - "That is why you are truly great, O Sovereign Lord JEHOVAH. There is NO ONE LIKE YOU, and there is NO GOD EXCEPT YOU; everything we have heard with our ears confirms this. "

1 Kings 8:60 - "so that all the peoples of the earth may know that JEHOVAH is the true God. There is NO OTHER!"

2 Kings 19:15 - "And'ah began to pray before JEHOVAH and say: "O JEHOVAH the God of Israel, sitting enthroned above the cherubs, YOU ALONE are the true God of all the kingdoms of the earth. You made the heavens and the earth."

Psalms 18:31 - "For who is a God besides JEHOVAH?"

Psalms 83:18 - "May people know that you, whose name is JEHOVAH, YOU ALONE are the Most High over all the earth."

Isaiah 37:16, 20 - "O JEHOVAH of armies, the God of Israel, sitting enthroned above the cherubs, YOU ALONE are the true God of all the kingdoms of the earth. You made the heavens and the earth. But now, O JEHOVAH our God, save us out of his hand, so that all the kingdoms of the earth may know that YOU ALONE are God, O JEHOVAH."
Posted by KeytarHero 1 year ago
Wait...your opening statement seems to indicate that you believe Jesus is God, yet you are arguing Con?
Vote Placed by MagicAintReal 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: First off, this is a case of mistaken identity, that Con should have been Pro and vice versa. Regardless, I can still analyze their arguments. Conduct to Pro because Con forfeited a round. S&G tied. The resolution is undefined, such that there is no definition of god or jesus, but this makes Con's burden slightly tougher. On argument points, Con uses bible quotes to demonstrate that Jesus is god. These would seem to affirm the resolution however, Pro points out contradicting authors of the bible, the accounts were written way after jesus, the bible seems to contrast historical fact, and there was no census around jesus's birth. Pro also logically points out that if jesus = god and jesus = human, then god is human, rejecting a god status. These all point to the lack of truth of the bible, which was the basis for Con's only argument. Being that Con only complained about Pro's arguments, requested the debate be scrapped, and didn't address Pro's refutations...arguments to Pro.