Clash
amberfairygirl

Is Jesus God?

Clash

Clash

Con

This debate is a challenge to, Amberfairygirl. I will argue that Jesus is not God, Amberfairygirl will argue that Jesus is God.

Rules

Round 1: Acceptance only

Round 2: Arguments only

Round 3: Rebuttal to the opponent's arguments in round 2.

Round 4: More rebuttal and closing statements
amberfairygirl

Pro

Clash

Con

Thank you for accepting this debate challenge, and I'm looking forward to have this great debate with you.

Arguments

I will give 12 reasons as to why Jesus is not God:

1) Jesus never said 'I am God'

If Jesus indeed was God, then he would clearly have said so. Why would Jesus, If he was God, not say that he was God? Its like a ruler of a country who don't want to say himself that he is the ruler. Its all just absurd, don't you think? The fact of the matter is that, logically and probably, if Jesus was indeed God, he would directly say so. He didn't, and so there is more probable that Jesus is indeed not God. I challenge Pro to give me just one statement from the Bible where Jesus says directly and without a doubt, and not the other Bible people like John, Paul, Luke etc, that 'I am God'.

2) Jesus is the son of man, the Bible says that God is not a son of man

1: According to Christians, the Bible is the word of God

2: The Bible says that God is not the son of man.

3: At the same time, the Bible says several times that Jesus is the son of man

Conclusion: Jesus cannot be God

The Bible saying that God is not a son of man:

God is not a man, that He should lie, Nor a son of man, that He should repent; Has He said, and will He not do it? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good? (Numbers 23:19)

The Bible saying that Jesus is a son of man:

And Jesus saith unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air [have] nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay [his] head. (Mat 8:209)

But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (then saith he to the sick of the palsy,) Arise, take up thy bed, and go unto thine house. (Mat 9:6)

3) Jesus denied being
good in the sense that God is good

And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? [there is] none good but one, [that is], God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. (Mat 19:16-17)

Note when that man calls Jesus good, Jesus says to him that there is no good but God. Obviously, Jesus referred to God as someone else, which also proves that Jesus isn't God. However, the main importance of this passage is that Jesus denies being good in the way God is good, which is to be perfect.

4) Jesus worshiped

Are you going worship the one Jesus worshiped to, or are you going to worship Jesus? Or did God worship himself? The Bible clearly says that Jesus worshiped to someone, and the only conclusion to that fact is that Jesus cannot be God. God does not need to worship anybody, because he is God. To say that God worsiped someone, is like saying that God is not God anymore. It's basically... pure absurdity.

Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to them, "Sit here while I go over there and pray." He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him, and he began to be sorrowful and troubled. Then he said to them, "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me." Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will." Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. "Could you men not keep watch with me for one hour?" he asked Peter. "Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak." He went away a second time and prayed, "My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done." When he came back, he again found them sleeping, because their eyes were heavy. So he left them and went away once more and prayed the third time, SAYING THE SAME THING. (Matthew 26:36-44)

5) Jesus was not all knowing

1: God is all knowing

2: Jesus was not all knowing

Conclusion: Jesus cannot be God

Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh: So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled. Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away. But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only. (Mark 13:32)

6) Jesus said he had a father

1: God has no father

2: Jesus said that he had a father

Conclusion: Jesus cannot be God

...But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only. (Mark 13:32)

7) Jesus changed

1: God does not change

2: Jesus changed

Conclusion: Jesus cannot be God

The Bible informs us that God does not change: I the Lord do not change. (Malachi 3:6). Jesus however went through many changes in his life such as age, height, weight etc.

8) Jesus was not the greatest

1: Nobody is greater than God

2: Jesus said that somebody was greater than him

Conclusion: Jesus cannot be God

My Father is greater than I." (John 14:28)

This verse is very clear in itself, the Father is greater than Jesus. Who can be greater than Jesus if he is God?

9) No one has ever seen God

According to John 5:37, Jesus said that no one had ever seen God at anytime or ever heard his voice. And yet people did see Jesus and heard his voice, which proves that Jesus cannot be God.

10) Jesus says that he himself has a God

Jesus saith unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? She, supposing him to be the gardener, saith unto him, Sir, if thou have borne him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away. Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master. Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father;
and to my God, and your God. Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the LORD, and that he had spoken these things unto her. (John 20:15-18)

Jesus clearly says in this verse that he has a God, and thus totally refuting the idea that Jesus himself is God.

11) Jesus was tempted by the devil

1: God cannot be tempted by the devil

2: Jesus was tempted by the devil

Conclusion: Jesus cannot be God

“….and Jesus for forty days in the wilderness was tempted by the devil” (Luke 4:1)

12) Jesus can by himself do nothing

I can of mine own self do nothing
: as I hear, I judge: and my judgement is just; because I seek not my own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me." (John 5:30)

The fact that Jesus said that he by himself can do nothing, and that he said that someone had sent him, completely refutes the claim that Jesus is God to any person with a sound mind. Can God by himself do nothing? And is God someone who get sent by others?

In fact, the Bible mentions that Jesus was sent by someone else more than just in this verse, and thus refuting the claim that Jesus is God more and more:

… and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father’s which sent me. (John 14:24)

And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou has sent. (John 17:3)

The divinity of Jesus was never taught by Jesus himself, and has no origin in the Bible. The absurd idea that Jesus is God was invented several years after he was gone, by for example the corrupter Paul. We can clearly see by these examples, and there are many more examples, that Jesus is not God. The whole idea that God should become a man, is anyway just a very illogical and primitive idea. Jesus is not God and all the proofs support that. Thank you, and I'm looking forward to your arguments as to why Jesus is God.
amberfairygirl

Pro

amberfairygirl forfeited this round.
Clash

Con

It seems like my opponent has closed her account. Anyway, I extend my arguments.
amberfairygirl

Pro

amberfairygirl forfeited this round.
Clash

Con

Vote Con!
amberfairygirl

Pro

amberfairygirl forfeited this round.
Posted by Pboy21 4 years ago
Pboy21
Jesus is God but he humbled him self. and with out a doubt he used the great I am statements as God did when with Moses.
Posted by Flame 4 years ago
Flame
Interesting. Considering that Jesus was quoting Daniel 7:14 for the title of Son of Man. Especially since the Son of Man of Daniel 7:14 was worshiped and received a kingdom without end. What is ascribed to the Son f man is ascribed to God.
Vote Placed by stubs 4 years ago
stubs
ClashamberfairygirlTied
Reasons for voting decision: Disappointing forfeit. Most are those arguments are easily defended and require just little biblical knowledge
Vote Placed by cheesedingo1 4 years ago
cheesedingo1
ClashamberfairygirlTied
Reasons for voting decision: Obvios win to con, pro had no arguments.