NKJVPrewrather
frankfurter50

Is Jesus the God of the Bible?

NKJVPrewrather

Pro

Jesus is the Man born of a Hebrew Jewish Virgin that was tortured to death on the cross and rose from the dead for our sins.
frankfurter50

Con

OK, you didn't try to prove your point there, and you just stated what the Bible says. We gotta be more engaged in this, OK? Also, do you mean the new testament or the old testament? They're both technically "The Bible".
NKJVPrewrather

Pro

I always let my opponent go first. Hold on. From gotquestions.org: Question: "Is Jesus God? Did Jesus ever claim to be God?"
Answer: The Bible never records Jesus saying the precise words, "I am God." That does not mean, however, that He did not proclaim that He is God. Take for example Jesus" words in John 10:30, "I and the Father are one." We need only to look at the Jews" reaction to His statement to know He was claiming to be God. They tried to stone Him for this very reason: "You, a mere man, claim to be God" (John 10:33). The Jews understood exactly what Jesus was claiming"deity. When Jesus declared, "I and the Father are one," He was saying that He and the Father are of one nature and essence. John 8:58 is another example. Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth " before Abraham was born, I am!" Jews who heard this statement responded by taking up stones to kill Him for blasphemy, as the Mosaic Law commanded (Leviticus 24:16).
John reiterates the concept of Jesus" deity: "The Word [Jesus] was God" and "the Word became flesh" (John 1:1, 14). These verses clearly indicate that Jesus is God in the flesh. Acts 20:28 tells us, "Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood." Who bought the church with His own blood? Jesus Christ. And this same verse declares that God purchased His church with His own blood. Therefore, Jesus is God!

Thomas the disciple declared concerning Jesus, "My Lord and my God" (John 20:28). Jesus does not correct him. Titus 2:13 encourages us to wait for the coming of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ (see also 2 Peter 1:1). In Hebrews 1:8, the Father declares of Jesus, "But about the Son he says, "Your throne, O God, will last forever and ever, and righteousness will be the scepter of your kingdom."" The Father refers to Jesus as "O God," indicating that Jesus is indeed God.

In Revelation, an angel instructed the apostle John to only worship God (Revelation 19:10). Several times in Scripture Jesus receives worship (Matthew 2:11; 14:33; 28:9, 17; Luke 24:52; John 9:38). He never rebukes people for worshiping Him. If Jesus were not God, He would have told people to not worship Him, just as the angel in Revelation did. There are many other passages of Scripture that argue for Jesus" deity.
The most important reason that Jesus has to be God is that, if He is not God, His death would not have been sufficient to pay the penalty for the sins of the world (1 John 2:2). A created being, which Jesus would be if He were not God, could not pay the infinite penalty required for sin against an infinite God. Only God could pay such an infinite penalty. Only God could take on the sins of the world (2 Corinthians 5:21), die, and be resurrected, proving His victory over sin and death.
https://www.gotquestions.org...
frankfurter50

Con

Aah, why did I sign up for this religious debate? I don't know much about religion, and I don't think I'm supposed to use science. The way you hit me with all those Biblical quotes really hurt. Verry sneaky tactic, there, pretending to be a dumb idiot in round one, then being a big smartypants in round 2. Verrrrry sneaky. I think I might win, though. Maybe. Just maybe.

This has been a controversial topic among Christians for some time. It was one of those things that the Byzantine Empire and the Holy Roman Empire fought about in the middle ages, I think. I'm not sure who was on what side. I guess I could argue either way, I'm not too biased about it, since I don't really care too much about any of it, so I'll try to settle this in a calm and reasonable manner, without resorting to science, because I know how you big old Christians hate things that you can't comprehend. Science isn't real, don't worry, the Earth is flat and dinosaurs are made up. OK?

For one, I guess you could say that Jesus is human, I mean, he's nothing like his dad. I don't think a dad and son can be the same thing, that's like the old thing about how a guy can be his own grandpa, and I think Mark Twain once proved that it was possible, but I don't think it's possible to prove that a guy and his son are the same. That just kind of goes against all common logic. We say, "The Father, The Son, and The Holy Ghost," right? Not "The Guy and The Holy Ghost". Even in that little prayer, they're different.

Jesus is also pretty different from God in personality and looks. Jesus is a hippie with big Rasta hair and a mustache, and God is a big glowing blue guy in the clouds. If they looked the same, I could get it, but, really, Jesus just kind of seems normal, and his dad is all mighty and big and blue. Not really the same. They're different species, too. I think that "Omnipotent Deity" Is different from "Human". At least, I'm pretty sure Jesus was a human. He looked like a human, people say. maybe he was an alien or something. I think he was just a normal guy, though.

Jesus messes up a store or something in Ancient Rome. He's a rebel. I don't think God would try to break the law, since, you know, it's bad and everything. seriously, there were wanted posters up for Jesus everywhere. He was a freakin' outlaw. He was willing to enact his holy destiny however possible. God just kind of hung out in the clouds and waited. he was much more calm during this period. That's why nobody sees him these days. He's just kinda boring. That's my theory, anyway. So, as I was saying...

I can get those Jewish guys getting mad at Jesus for saying he's God. Here they've had the Jewish religion for, like, what, a thousand years? And then this fresh little whippersnapper comes up and tells me everything I knew was wrong? I can get that. I'd throw rocks at him. It's kind of like how you nutty Christians pick on scientists, because it defies what you know and love. Maybe you can understand it that way.

Also, when Jesus says, "before Abraham was born, I am!" That's just being a snob. Also, it's impossible, because Abraham lived waaay before Jesus, and there's no getting around that little loophole. I mean, can't Jesus just accept that he's in the current day, and say, like, you know, "Abraham was wrong, and I'm right?" That type of thing? Does he have to say something that's OBVIOUSLY WRONG to get his point across? Is he a time traveler who went back to the time BEFORE Abraham? That would be a cool movie. Anyway, I can see why people convert to Islam, they acknowledge Jesus AND Abraham as real prophets, as well as Muhammad. They're tolerant.

That's what I have to say right now. Have fun.
NKJVPrewrather

Pro

Don't feel bad, many are better than me. That's why I use references. I'm here to grow as well as to teach.
frankfurter50

Con

You have to give me a longer argument than that. Are you playing stupid again? Yeah, I figured. Anyway, lots of religious stuff is made up, so it's open to interpretation. I don't think Jesus is God, I think he's the SON of God. That's how the bible says it.
NKJVPrewrather

Pro

I feel I have presented sufficient evidence, but I await yours so we can debate.
frankfurter50

Con

Go look up at round two, you religious weirdo. I put five paragraphs up there. Instead of dodging what I said, please, answer it. It's always nice to accept that other people have different perspectives from yours. Refusing to accept what I said up there as evidence is wrong. I don't think the Bible is a very reliable source, for one, because, you know, it's written from a biased viewpoint that favors Jesus or whatever. I'm not going to hold it to different qualifications than any other book just because it's supposed to be special, somehow. It's not a reliable source. It uses no evidence and it's biased.

I'm not going to quote the Bible. I don't have one, first off. I don't think it's a very interesting book, so I'm not going to skim all the quotes in it for some evidence to give to you. I know enough about it to do without quotes. I know about other things, too, like stuff besides religion, so in that respect, I have an unfair advantage. Come on, reply to round two instead of dodging it like a big old jackanape.

I don't have to use resources to prove my point, I just lose points during voting for some reason. I think that, without sources, you can use much more emotion and intellect. Anyway, go ahead and reply to round two, or I win.

Here's a fun picture for those of you out there who believe in religion more than science:

https://www.biography.com...
NKJVPrewrather

Pro

https://www.biblegateway.com... Here is a website with several English Bible translations. I use the New King James Version.
frankfurter50

Con

Heck, apparently, neither of us will post long arguments. We only posted on good argument each, folks! ONLY look at round 2, evaluate each of our arguments, and see who does better. I'm done with this.
Posted by frankfurter50 6 months ago
frankfurter50
Oh, boy. You always wreck the comment section with these freakin' long rants, Followery.

I BELIEVE that the way to determine the maturity levels among "The Brethren" (Whatever the Hell THAT means) is to hold conversations with as little scripture as possible, since only repeating the words in a book shows very little creativity or imagination, or individual personality. It's also a damn lazy way to talk and it's why I very rarely do these religious debates.

Of course, that's just MY OPINION, and I can BELIEVE whatever the heck I want to, because RELIGION does not have to be true to be believed in. I'm tolerant of every religion, from Islam to Tibetan frog worship, and you darn well better believe it, ya nut.
Posted by FollowerofChrist1955 7 months ago
FollowerofChrist1955
The way to determine the maturity levels among the Brethren is manifest in language in use! As hey (believers) grow ... they stop using the term, "I BELIEVE" and simply post scriptures, holding entire conversations through scripture almost exclusively.

Confirmation scripture:
Isaiah 55:8-9
8
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,"
declares the Lord.
9
"As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

I will not impose further upon your discussions. Just giving guidance on direction as provided in scripture.

Is Jesus God .... answer :YES

now the nontrinitarians will disagree ... course the whole point is that none of US is God, thus it is what God "says" that is true .... even when "we" choose not to believe it!

much like the atheists ... they do not believe in Hell! Does that mean they are "NOT" going there?
of course not. Same applies to Christians. What we think? irrelevant! Only what God Thinks, actually counts right?
FollowerofChrist1955
To acknowledge Christ as The Savior, to accept His sacrifice on the Cross in atonement for Sin, is the pinnacle event. See Romans 10 versus 9-10.

The focal point thereafter is to learn from God what are the requirements He places on the width, depth and length of learning. That is to say, allowing God to assume full control of your thoughtactions as required for discipleship! (Matthew, Mark, Luke).

Then Jesus said to his disciples, "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.

here is the focal point of scripture with regard to maturity in Christ! That is to say ... when you refuse to lay down what you believe, you will continue through life in a stagnancy, which is only remedied by acknowledgement to Christ that HE IS your all in all!
If HE IS (emphasis) then you must lay down the self, pick up your cross and allow Christ to lead you int what IS not what you "Think" is!

for example ... notice the 43,000 separate denominations and off-shoots of Christianity? (don't get caught up on the number) the point is only that each of these has decided for themselves to worship as THEY BELIEVE!

This is a contradiction in Christian conduct ... Here: Isaiah 65:2
I have spread out my hands all the day unto a rebellious people, which walketh in a way that was not good, after their own thoughts;

As it also is against 2 Peter 1:20-21
20 Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet"s own interpretation of things. 21 For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

it is the violation of 2 Peter that IS (emphasis) the cause for the abundance of denominations today. Bear in mind we speak of" LEARNING ONLY" not salvation as they are indeed saved, as Salvation IS FREE! (emphasis)