NKJVPosttribulationist
ANANIGMA

Is Jesus the God of the Bible?

Reasons for your voting decision - Required
The Voting Period Ends In
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Voting Period

NKJVPosttribulationist

Pro

Jesus is the Man who died on the cross for sinners like me and rose from the dead. I am Pro, you are Con, make the first move.
ANANIGMA

Con

I accept your debate and say no he was not God. You can go first.
NKJVPosttribulationist

Pro

https://www.gotquestions.org...
Question: "Is Jesus God in the flesh? Why is it important that Jesus is God in the flesh?"
Answer: Since Jesus" conception by the Holy Spirit in the womb of the virgin Mary (Luke 1:26-38), the real identity of Jesus Christ has always been questioned by skeptics. It began with Mary's fianc", Joseph, who was afraid to marry her when she revealed that she was pregnant (Matthew 1:18-24). He took her as his wife only after the angel confirmed to him that the child she carried was the Son of God.
Hundreds of years before the birth of Christ, the prophet Isaiah foretold the coming of God's Son: "For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace" (Isaiah 9:6). When the angel spoke to Joseph and announced the impending birth of Jesus, he alluded to Isaiah"s prophecy: "The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel (which means "God with us")" (Matthew 1:23). This did not mean they were to name the baby Immanuel; it meant that "God with us" was the baby"s identity. Jesus was God coming in the flesh to dwell with man.
Jesus Himself understood the speculation about His identity. He asked His disciples, "Who do people say that I am?" (Matthew 16:13; Mark 8:27). The answers varied, as they do today. Then Jesus asked a more pressing question: "Who do you say that I am?" (Matthew 16:15). Peter gave the right answer: "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God" (Matthew 16:16). Jesus affirmed the truth of Peter"s answer and promised that, upon that truth, He would build His church (Matthew 16:18).
The true nature and identity of Jesus Christ has eternal significance. Every person must answer the question Jesus asked His disciples: "Who do you say that I am?"
He gave us the correct answer in many ways. In John 14:9-10, Jesus said, "Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, "Show us the Father"? Don"t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work."
The Bible is clear about the divine nature of the Lord Jesus Christ (see John 1:1-14). Philippians 2:6-7 says that, although Jesus was "in very nature God, He did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness." Colossians 2:9 says, "In Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form."
Jesus is fully God and fully man, and the fact of His incarnation is of utmost importance. He lived a human life but did not possess a sin nature as we do. He was tempted but never sinned (Hebrews 2:14-18; 4:15). Sin entered the world through Adam, and Adam"s sinful nature has been transferred to every baby born into the world (Romans 5:12)"except for Jesus. Because Jesus did not have a human father, He did not inherit a sin nature. He possessed the divine nature from His Heavenly Father.
Jesus had to meet all the requirements of a holy God before He could be an acceptable sacrifice for our sin (John 8:29; Hebrews 9:14). He had to fulfill over three hundred prophecies about the Messiah that God, through the prophets, had foretold (Matthew 4:13-14; Luke 22:37; Isaiah 53; Micah 5:2).
Since the fall of man (Genesis 3:21-23), the only way to be made right with God has been the blood of an innocent sacrifice (Leviticus 9:2; Numbers 28:19; Deuteronomy 15:21; Hebrews 9:22). Jesus was the final, perfect sacrifice that satisfied forever God's wrath against sin (Hebrews 10:14). His divine nature made Him fit for the work of Redeemer; His human body allowed Him to shed the blood necessary to redeem. No human being with a sin nature could pay such a debt. No one else could meet the requirements to become the sacrifice for the sins of the whole world (Matthew 26:28; 1 John 2:2). If Jesus were merely a good man as some claim, then He had a sin nature and was not perfect. In that case, His death and resurrection would have no power to save anyone.
Because Jesus was God in the flesh, He alone could pay the debt we owed to God. His victory over death and the grave won the victory for everyone who puts their trust in Him (John 1:12; 1 Corinthians 15:3-4, 17).
ANANIGMA

Con

Thanks for the response. First I say that Jesus not being God doesn"t diminish the importance of his life, particularly his teachings and message. By knowing the Son and the Father, glory is duly given to both and I agree this subject certainly leaves room for more to be understood about that relationship. However, there seems to be more than enough evidence that Jesus wanted all acknowledgements to be given to God and not himself.

First, the people who knew Jesus since he was a child knew him as the son of the carpenter. (Matthew 13:55, Mark 6:3) It would be strange that they would not be aware of a virgin birth and that very revelation would have saved him from attempting to throw him off a cliff. Jesus instead said he was the promised Messiah and nothing else. Jesus never claimed to bring peace, be peaceful, or be known for peace. (Matthew 10:34, Luke 12:51) Also at what point was the government placed on the shoulders of Jesus. He never led an army and wasn"t a politician. Isaiah seems to be a retelling of another historical figure, Melchizedek (Genesis 14:18-20) who was not only a King but also a Priest. He also was before Abraham, so it is at least questionable that when Jesus said, "Before Abraham was born, I am" (John 8:58), he was claiming to be Melchizedek. The wine and bread references are striking as well. Google "Melchizedek" and see the similarities for yourself.

Jesus"s name was Jesus, or Yeshua. It was never Immanuel. I mean my name is Michael which means "Who is like God". Matter of fact a lot of Christians believe Jesus was Michael before he took human form. And Michael is an archangel, not GOD.

In quoting Matthew 16 verses 16 and 18, why leave out verse 17 which Jesus says that it was his Father which is IN HEAVEN that revealed that answer to Peter. Also "Christ, son of the living God" and not GOD was Peter"s answer which Jesus agreed with. In John 10:34-36, Jesus reminds us that the title, "Son of God" is not unique to him but in anyone who knows the word of God. Also Jesus made several remarks distinguishing himself and the Father. In John 7:16-18, Jesus says his teachings are not his own but they come from the one who sent him. So who is the one who sent him? In Matthew 3:17, Matthew 17:5, and Luke 3:22 God himself states that Jesus is his Son and they should listen to him because he is pleased with him. There is also tens of references to Jesus praying, so if he was GOD then why pray and to whom? (Luke 10:21, John 11:41-42, John 12:28, John 17, Matthew 27:46, Mark 15:34)

John 1:1-14 is purely conjuncture as Jesus is never mentioned in anyone of those verses. Verse 14, you could possibly say "maybe" this is a reference to Jesus because the only begotten son of the Father was mentioned. However later in verse 29 when John finally meets Jesus, he calls him the Lamb of God. John saw Jesus as the sacrifice which would take away the sin of the World. The question is whether this was actually accomplished? If Jesus was the promised Messiah, why is there still sin in the world? If God needed Jesus"s sacrifice for the price for forgiveness then why was Jerusalem destroyed in 70 A.D.? Did God also need to the completely destroy his own Temple?
NKJVPosttribulationist

Pro

Fair enough. I used to not believe He is God until I was 15. Colossians 2:9 says in Him dwells the fullness of the Godhead bodily. What do you think that means?
ANANIGMA

Con

What I think it means is if you want to understand the religion, Christianity; read the post 4 Gospels in the New Testament. If you want to understand Jesus; read the four Gospels and listen to what the person said.

To me Paul saw in Jesus Christ, an ideology of a man which spawned the Christ we now know 2000 years later. A contradiction to the Christ in Matthew 23:8-10 where we are asked not to place another before us, and he is an Instructor. What I take away from Jesus is that we all have a Godhead, or divinity within us. His mission (message) may have been that we all could achieve a pure relationship with that divinity ourselves.

What do you think this means in John 14:12: "Verily, verily I say unto you, he that believeth in me, the works that I do, he shall do also, and greater than these shall he do: for I go unto my Father."

If Jesus is God than how can any of us do greater works than him?
NKJVPosttribulationist

Pro

What do you think it means in John 10:30 I and my father are one.
ANANIGMA

Con

Samething it means in Matthew 5:16 "In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and glorify YOUR FATHER in heaven." and Ephesians 1:3 "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realms.".

We all have a Father which is in Heaven. Saying I and the Father are one is understanding that link.
NKJVPosttribulationist

Pro

Stay on topic. You are providing scriptures that have nothing to do with whether Yeshua/Jesus is God. I have provided ample evidence that He is. Your arguments have failed to convince me.
ANANIGMA

Con

The truth doesn't need you to be convinced to be true. The only ample evidence you gave was a C&P job from another website which you failed to defend. Matter of fact, you agreed with my counter argument and then proceeded to ask questions. Which I responded to but you were unable to respond to my questions. Anyway there is NO PROOF in scripture that proves Jesus/Yeshua is GOD, Absolutely NONE! It's called faith for a reason, and I accepted this debate just to see if you could prove it... You didn't.
Posted by NKJVPosttribulationist 1 month ago
NKJVPosttribulationist
I wanted to change my name. Debate me.
Posted by 21MolonLabe 1 month ago
21MolonLabe
Why do you keep creating new accounts?