Is Jesus the son of God?

Jesus Christ is not the son of God for one very simple reason our definition of God, a God can not have children, and being that Jesus himself claimed that there is only one God (monotheism) , and also he can not be the son of God and be the same God because that will bring up the question that can God divide himself? And if he can than that's multiple God's and against the teachings of Jesus. If Jesus did in fact call to God as father he obviously meant it as father and creator of humanity, because of his constant repeating claim that he is the" son of man".

I contend that Jesus is the Son of God.

Since my opponent is not denying the existence of God and even appeals to "our definition of God," I will take it as a given that I can talk about some kind of Abrahamic monotheism. My opponent seems to think that God having a son violates this definition. This likely has something to do with God being a spirit (or at least not made of matter) and having a son has to do with biology. But, I will argue that having a son does not depend on biological reproduction.

While there are many references to Jesus as the Son of God in the New Testament, there exist references to him as the Son of God inside of the Gospel narratives themselves. My opponent appeals to them as evidence against Jesus"s Sonship, so I will make use of them in its favor.

In Luke 1, when Jesus"s birth is being announced, Gabriel refers to Jesus as the Son of God.

When Satan tempts Jesus in Matthew 4 and Luke 4, he refers to Jesus saying, "If you are the Son of God"" Jesus never corrects or contradicts this.

In Matthew 8, Jesus confronts a demon possessed man, who calls him the Son of God. Jesus does not correct him.

Mark 3:11 corroborates Matthew on this sort of thing being a regular occurrence, saying "And whenever the unclean spirits saw him, they fell down before him and cried out, "You are the Son of God.""

In Matthew 14:33, Jesus"s disciples worship him and say to him, "Truly you are the Son of God." He never corrects them. If you"ll look back to chapter 4, when Satan asks for his worship, Jesus says, "You shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve." Why would he not correct his disciples? Either he is no longer concerned about idolatry or he is purposefully allowing his disciples to both call him the Son of God and worship him as God.

What is Jesus"s reaction when Peter tells him "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God?" in Matthew 16? Far from correcting him, he tells Peter, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven."

While Jesus is being crucified in Matthew 27, people are saying of him, "He trusts in God; let God deliver him now, if he desires him. For he said, "I am the Son of God."" (verse 43)

Thomas, after the resurrection, says to Jesus, "My Lord and my God!" (John 20:28) and Jesus does not correct him or seem concerned in the least.

There are many more verses to show this sort of thing, but the point is that there are a lot of people saying that Jesus is the Son of God or God and Jesus does not seem to be the least bit interested in correcting or disputing this, though he does show a concern for people worshiping God alone.

My opponent may think that when Jesus is referring to himself as the Son of Man, Jesus is denying his divinity, but he or she has not shown that this is in any way what Jesus intends by calling himself this. I know of no passage where Jesus uses this to correct someone when they are referring to him as the Son of God.

It is neither illogical to say that Jesus is God and Jesus is the Son of God, nor is it a denial of monotheism.

My opponent wants to argue that if the Father is God and Jesus is God, and Jesus and the Father are not identical, then there exist multiple Gods. But, this does not have to be the case. Trinitarians have long argued that the Father and Son are distinct persons, but not distinct Gods. If my opponent wants to argue that Jesus"s divinity necessitates polytheism, he or she will have to demonstrate that Jesus and the Father cannot be both the same God and distinct persons. He or she will then further have to show that this prevents Jesus from being the Son of God.

My opponent reminds us that Jesus called out to God as father. More than pointing out that this implies a father/son relationship, I will remind you of the time God (in Luke 3) replied, "You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased."

bennieq forfeited this round.

My opponent has forfeited this round and I will add nothing. Hopefully my opponent will post in Round 3.

bennieq forfeited this round.

My opponent has once again forfeited a round. Vote as you will.
Posted by Sakura_Khate143 6 months ago
He really is a Son of God,
look John 1:1 and John 1:14, ^^

it says, in John 1:1 In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God.
and John 1:14, and the word was made flesh,

God, is powerful, He can do all things because He is omnipotent, Jesus Christ is His body in the flesh,
for more info check this out. ^^
it can help you,
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 6 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con ff many times, so conduct to Pro.