Is Khan Academy good for student?

Hello We are here to discuss such a important topic. I think Khan Academy(KA) is good educational system of mathematics for student. Because It is easy to learn and KA videos are very simple to see. thank you.

I accept this debate. Good to see a Korean, as I am one also. My arguments will be in the next round.

davidko forfeited this round.

My opponent had forfeited.

Vote for Con. Pro has forfeited and looks like he will forfeit all rounds. BoP on Pro because Pro has the burden to prove than Khanacademy is good for students. I will making 2 arguments, one computers are damage for your brain, and my second argument is that Khanacademy is just annoying. I will rebut my opponents argument of simpleness.

Argument 1. Computers are bad for your health

Many people say that screens hurt your eyesight. Yes, it causes temporary problems.

"What problems do looking at computer screens cause?

People who look at computers frequently, (in particular those that look at a computer for more than three hours a day), (2) may experience symptoms such as:

• Eye discomfort
  • Headaches
  • Itchy eyes
  • Dry or watering eyes
  • Burning sensations
  • Changes in color perception
  • Blurred vision
  • Difficulty focussing (1, 2, 3) [1]"
The source explains most of this, I will quote it, and in the end I will explain.

" Blinking. Study after study has found that when reading on screens people tend to stare more than they do when reading on a printed page. More staring means less blinking, which means your eyes get less refreshment from tears. “When you blink, you spread a layer of tears over the eye,” says Mark Rosenfield, a professor at the State University of New York College of Optometry. With less blinking, eyes get dry and sore.

Another difference between the printed page and the computer screen is where the words are positioned relative to the eyes. People generally look down while reading a book or newspaper, but staring at screen usually means staring straight ahead. When you look down, more of your eye is covered by the eyelid, but when you look straight ahead more of your eye is exposed to the drying effect of air. Coupled with reduced blinking, this leads to dry eyes. Reading on mobile devices may be more book-like in terms of positioning, but blink rate is still a concern.

Distance. Not surprisingly, people reading on their smartphones tend to hold the device much closer to their eyes than they would a book or magazine. In a 2011 study, Rosenfield found that the 219 participants held their phones 14 inches from their eyes to read text messages and 12R02;1 / 2 inches for a Web page. Typically, people read printed text from a distance of 15R02;3 / 4 inches.

The result is that “your eye has to work much harder to focus at close distances,” Rosenfield says. The eyes turn in more (not quite cross-eyed) and that takes effort. Over time, that can lead to fatigue.

Moreover, if you’re of a certain age, that focusing effort becomes even harder. At about age 40, natural changes in the eye’s focal length means most people can’t see closely as well. That’s when you start holding the restaurant menu at an arm’s length to read.

Other considerations are resolution, brightness, and glare, says Alan Hedge, a professor of ergonomics at Cornell University. “The resolution of print on paper is higher than any screen out there.” Brightness should be adjusted for comfort, either on your screen or the lamp by your reading chair. As for glare, it is easier to read a book or an e-ink on an e-reader in the sunshine. But if you’re reading late at night in bed, you might prefer the backlit screen of a tablet.

The good thing about electronic reading is that you can change so many things to make the experience more comfortable, such as increasing the size of the text and fiddling with the brightness, which can also help you keep the words at a distance. Salz says 18 inches is ideal. [2] "

Yes, you might say smartphones aren't a matter right now, but you can see khanacademy in your computer also. Blinking is a matter, because you don't blink when you look at khanacademy videos

Argument 2. Khanacademy is annoying

s://; alt="" width="784" height="588" />

It says get 5 correct in a row. This is an annoying part. Lets say you get 4 right, then you get it wrong. It will be very annoying, and you have to start all over again. Because it is annoying, and many students hate annoying things, khanacdemy is bad for students.

Rebuttal 1: Simpleness

My opponents argument:

" I think Khan Academy(KA) is good educational system of mathematics for student. Because It is easy to learn and KA videos are very simple to see. thank you."

My opponent says that khanacademy videos are very simple to see. Simpleness does not have to do with if it is good for students, it is the quality. And the videos also are not much simple. They are long, you have to make an account, and many other things. Also many people don't use khanacademy to learn. They use it to code, and that is very confusing, also the videos. They want badges and that is one of the most thngs why Khanacademy is famous.

Also, there are not much videos. There are not lots of topics, and things that we actually need to learn.

I believe and showed why khanacademy is bad for students. Thank you.

First, I am so sorry for not writing in the second round(I was busy). in to this topic, I know the Khan academy is computer program. (it is fact) And for sure, I can be harmful to children if they just sit on their chair and just stare at computer. but the Khan academy is the educational program. and children are not just staring at computer while they studying just using the computer. and just if children get some damage such as eye damage, those are opportunity cost. and Is it annoying? what the heck! dude! it is for studying! Lets see a person who study with Khan academy(KA). and he(the person was male) got 4rights and unfortunately, he got wrong just one problem. It is not annoying. It is just because of he does not have ability that get 5 correct in a row! I suspect you that whether you went to KA or not. there is brilliant and enormous amount of video especially math.
Thank you for seeing my argument and I hope to see your argument soon.

P.S. are you Korean?

Sorry, I am in my phone right now, sorry if there is no bolds or lots of spelling mistakes.

Okay, BoP is on Pro because she or he has the burden to prove that Khanacademy is good for students.

1. Bad eyes and bad health

My opponent basically concedes this argument. She agrees that it harms your health, but basically, she is saying that this is unimportant because khanacademy can make you study. This is not true. Your health is much more important. Think about it, you can study is many different ways when you have one body. Your eyes are much more important

2. Annoying

My opponent has basically conceded this argument to me also. My opponent basically states that it is annoying but, it is for learning. My opponent fails to rebut that there ia lags.

Thank you. I am Korean.
Posted by davidko 8 months ago
but con's argument can be the computer is not good for kids-KA is computer website
Posted by Sadat_Hossain 8 months ago
It is quite clearly a truism, isn't it???
Posted by Jedd 8 months ago
An equivalent statement would be- Are phones good for communication?
Vote Placed by U.n 8 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeited turn by Pro = conduct point for Con. Pro provided no sources to backup argument; Con cited news articles with links = most reliable sources point to Con.