PHILTECH
BarryDubz

Is Kobe the best player in the NBA today?

Started: 3/16/2013 Category: Sports

PHILTECH

Pro

Yes, Kobe Bryant is the best player in the NBA today. No, he don't have but one MVP award unlike Lebron James, but he has five rings to Lebron's one. There's one thing Kobe can do that no one else will do, and that is play through an injury. If anyone else in the NBA got injured they will be out for weeks, but Kobe will play through it and still perform great. That's why Kobe Bryant is the best player in the NBA.
BarryDubz

Con

Kobe Bryant is NOT the best player in the NBA today.

First, I will refute the Pro's arguments.

My opponent has made a crucial concession in the FIRST SPEECH! He said, "No, he don't have but one MVP award unlike Lebron James." --- This in itself shows that Kobe isn't the best PLAYER. He may have played for the best TEAM for a portion of time, but that doesn't make him the best player. The resolution calls for the best PLAYER, not the most fortunate (as in on the best team).

And, the fact that Kobe gets injured is detrimental to his case. TODAY Kobe sat on the sideline after being injured, not only does that show that his argument is wrong, but the fact that he is injury prone, is a turn, and should work for the
Con.

Now, I will present a few of my own arguments.

1. The only way that he could win this debate is if he were to prove that Mr. Kobe (Bean) Bryant is able (Right now) to beat everyone in the NBA 1v1, and there is no way that he could do it. Just based on size difference, Dwight Howard would barrel him down into the lane, and all Kobe would have to do is miss one shot, and Dwight would win.

2. Kobe may have been great in his prime, but with age, comes wear and tear, and he has been the beneficiary of multiple injuries in the last couple of years. Between his ankle right now, and his finger last year, he just isn't as productive as he used to be.

3. NBA, as defined by Bing.com is "National Boxing Association" and since Kobe isn't in the National Boxing Association, he can't be the best, therefore my opponent has failed to uphold the burden of proof in today's debate, and I strongly ask for a CON vote.
PHILTECH

Pro

Now it's my turn...

I'll admit you brought out some great points and I agree with what you said, but not the complete truth.

1.) Kobe Bryant is the best player, because he's not a baby like Howard, James, and Wade, and many more other players in the league. It's called "Endurance". Something that LBJ Wade and Howard don't have.

2.) Kobe Bryant has been fortunate to play with the Lakers, but I believe it's LBJ and Howard's fault that they haven't won that many Championships. Just selfish awards like MVP and Defensive player of the year awards. Kobe has proven time and time again he can still hang with the prime players.

3.) last but not least Kobe maybe getting old and has been injury prone that last couple of year,but he still has managed to win 5 rings. Right? So even when he's not 100%, he still wins the big one.
BarryDubz

Con

My opponent has already lost this debate. First, I will extend upon my arguments from the previous speech, show the flaws in my opponents arguments, and show how the CON has clearly won today's round.

To begin,
1. Extend my argument that says that my opponent made a crucial concession. It shows how LeBron has more MVP awards, and therefore is clearly the best player - this goes uncontested, and therefore my opponent cannot bring this up again in his next speeches.

2. Extend my argument that says that Kobe would have to beat everyone in the NBA 1v1 to be proven the best. This goes without refutation, and therefore he cannot bring it up again, and this is another reason to vote CON.

3. Extend my argument about the definition of the "NBA" - it is the National Boxing Association, as my definition goes conceded through the round, and since Kobe doesn't box, he can't be the best player in boxing, and I should win this debate.

Now, onto his arguments

On his first argument - Endurance shows the ability to continue. Whenever Kobe is sitting on the bench just a couple of days ago when the played against the Indiana Pacers(trademark symbol), it shows that he can't endure the pain, and isn't the best player.

On his second argument - The fact of having to play on a good team to win a championship only shows that Kobe isn't the best. He needed to have other people to help him win. And my burden, as the negative, is JUST to prove that Kobe isn't the best player, which I have done.

On his third argument - He concedes that Kobe is injury prone, and the fact that he's won these rings shows that he too needs help. The first three he won with Shaq, and the last two with Pau Gasol. It just goes to show that he needs a good big man inside to make him win.

With that, I have refuted all of the pro's arguments, rebuilt mine, and ask for a Con ballot, and I thank you for your time.
PHILTECH

Pro

PHILTECH forfeited this round.
BarryDubz

Con

Extend all of my argumentation, and all of my refutation of his arguments, and as per the rules of debate, please do not allow my opponent to bring up these arguments in his next round.

Thank you for your time.
PHILTECH

Pro

PHILTECH forfeited this round.
BarryDubz

Con

BarryDubz forfeited this round.
PHILTECH

Pro

PHILTECH forfeited this round.
BarryDubz

Con

BarryDubz forfeited this round.