lunartrashcan
Dab8er

Is LGBT eligible for children under the age of 19?

Dab8er

lunartrashcan

Con

I think not.
Being this young and being able to make this types of choices that could affect your life in the long run, and not for the better.
Children got through things like puberty that implement mood swings and voluntary reactions to different questions.
A kid might feel a certain way one day and feel the exact opposite on another. So seeing them make choices like this as kids is hard.
I recommend they should thing about it over the years to get an answer that you they have approved and disapproved many times, to get an outcome they want.
Dab8er

Pro

This is my first debate so don't judge.

A kid might feel a certain way one day and feel the exact opposite on another. That may be true, but not necessarily for gender. I've never once felt like a girl in my life and gender identity tends to stay pretty consistent. On...

http://www.gracepointwellness.org...

...it says that gender identity starts developing from infancy. Then you see children playing (usually) in groups of their own gender. You see girls playing in pairs and boys playing in groups, in their own specific gender, children naturally separate/organize/classify/whatever everything including gender. And you said, "I recommend they should thin[k] about it over the years to get an answer[...]." If I have a "P.P," instead of a pair of, "kittens," or a "missing piece," I don't have to think about it for years. Anyway done for this round.
lunartrashcan

Con

Good job for your first debate, it was my first one too.
I also fear for ostracism and not being accepted if you do come out as a kid. 655 of children 14 and under have killed themselves due to friends/family not accepting their place.Children should not have to go through processes like this and can, once again, hurt them in the long run. Bipolar depression, suicidal thoughts, etc. and will affect them doing things like having job interviews, their kid's perspectives on life and can cause their lives to be wrecked. I am looking out for the well being of children and how most of them will be after experienced the situation.
Dab8er

Pro

Thanks

For fear of ostracism and not being accepted if you don't come out as a kid, a child should keep it secret (since it's generally looked down upon by society and nature) to their peers. They should receive counseling from a trusted adult then make it official that they're LGBT once they're over the age of 19. LGBT should not be at all considered, until someone is fully matured and capable of their own decisions and views upon themselves and the world. If they reveal they're LGBT at an age under 19, then their peers will discriminate and ridicule them. It's strongly opposed in my religion but they are still people and must be treated as such, discrimination is wrong. Some other children and adolescents. don't realize this. They harass them physically, mentally and sexually and this is why there are such high suicide rates for LGBT. So basically, many young people don't know good social skills. Receiving counseling, and waiting to "come out," and making it official until you are fully grown adult is a good idea.
lunartrashcan

Con

Now, if I may ask, what about the poor children who need to come out in order to feel whole? To feel as if their loves are in pieces until they make this choice? What good will keeping it do for a well being.
Dab8er

Pro

That's why I said they should receive counseling, and I should have mentioned also to reveal they're LGBT to their most trusted friends who wouldn't go around spreading it. Also to come out to other LGBT, nobody would be picking on each other if they are what they're picking on. This really is a tough decision and no one answer will work on everybody in every place, if they come out in some shady place then they might be harassed. Whereas if they decide to come out in a place where people are non prejudice then they will be accepted by society and feel whole as everyone deserves to be. That's all I have to say, this debate really changed my views on things btw.
Posted by lunartrashcan 12 months ago
lunartrashcan
Anytime!
Posted by Dab8er 12 months ago
Dab8er
Thanks for this debate LunarTrashcan, it really opened up the way I see LGBT, but I'm still really against it and think it should be illegal. Nature gave me a wienershnitzel after all.
Posted by Dab8er 12 months ago
Dab8er
I'm going to be unable to view this debate or anything like that because the library kicks us out in about 10 minutes. So I may be able to continue tomorrow at about the same time as today.
Vote Placed by EverlastingMoment 11 months ago
EverlastingMoment
lunartrashcanDab8erTied
Reasons for voting decision: I think you both got the sides mixed up, Dab8er was arguing against the topic while lunar was arguing for it, but since it's your first debates that's understandable. Con's main argument about ostracism was weak especially since Pro countered it with the whole idea that they should be counselled about it instead of coming out and getting discriminated in the first place. The one main problem I saw with Pro though was that he never proved that it will necessarily be different for those over the age of 19 to come out about their sexuality and be accepted, as the 'high suicide rate' isn't proven to be just kids alone. But since Con never picked up on this and didn't bring out the urgency as to why kids HAVE to come out with their sexuality when they are still under the age of 19, Pro's challenge to that statement wins him the debate.