CapLAX22
Blade-of-Truth

Is Lacrosse better than Baseball?

Blade-of-Truth
Started: 2/2/2015 Category: Sports

CapLAX22

Pro

I want to see everyone's opinions. I personally love Lacrosse. It's much more exciting and active compared to sitting in a diamond wondering if someone is going to hit the ball or not. There's not much strategy or planning in baseball. Hit the ball or miss, that's it.
Blade-of-Truth

Con

I wish my opponent the best of luck, and accept this debate.

Clarifications

My stance is simple, I don't believe lacrosse is better than baseball.

The key term here is "better" and since the instigator left it undefined, I will do so now.

Better: higher in quality; more skillful; more attractive, appealing, effective, useful, etc. [1]

*Since my opponent began with arguments, I will too.*

Arguments

I. Baseball is a professional, world-known sport.

Baseball is America's pastime, there is no denying this fact. Even looking at the Hollywood films which have come out regarding baseball and lacrosse paint a pretty clear picture. With films having box-office success such as Field of Dreams, The bad news bears, or even Sandlot. Are there nearly as much lacrosse movies that have been as successful? No. Major League Lacrosse itself is a poor excuse for a professional league. According to the Wall Street Journal, the Major Lacrosse League pays its players an average of $10,000 - $25,000 [2]. That's below the poverty line. On the flip side, according to ESPN, Professional Baseball players are paid an average of $3.8 million [3]. The numbers alone reflect the vast difference between baseball and lacrosse, and which is better. The reason these numbers reflect how baseball is better is because under the given definition from Webster's Dictionary, part of the term is represented by that which is appealing and attractive. Such high salaries wouldn't be given to players of a sport if that sport wasn't having the numbers to justify such salaries. This is why lacrosse players in the professional league are paid so poorly, because only a very small minority cares for them or the sport.

Let's look at some more key elements of the term "better"... the term also entails that which is "higher in quality" and "more skillful". Since my opponent must prove that lacrosse is "better" than baseball, I'll give him the chance to do so before presenting my own arguments since he is the instigator.

I'll also save my rebuttals for the next round.

In closing,

I've presented a case where baseball is indeed better than lacrosse. I've purposely kept it short and narrow in scope since my opponent didn't present much in regards to providing evidence of how lacrosse is better than baseball.

I'll wait until the next round to present my case in full, should my opponent overcome these initial challenges I've presented.

[1] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
[2] http://www.wsj.com...
[3] http://espn.go.com...
CapLAX22

Pro

I see my opponent's points and I must say that I do not agree. Though it is true that Baseball is more popular, key word popular, I do not believe it is better.
My opponent's definition of better, "Better: higher in quality; more skillful; more attractive, appealing, effective, useful, etc. " caused me to smile. Lacrosse does not pay well as my opponent mentioned, but I'll put it simply.

Money is not what this sport is played for.

Now that may sound strange, but see it this way. Lacrosse has been around for longer than baseball, first originating in North America from the Eastern Woodland Indian tribes. This is a game that was so important that it was used to resolve disputes between tribes instead of going to war. Typical matches would last multiple days and involve hundreds of player. --- (Not Finished Just ran out of time) ---
Blade-of-Truth

Con

Rebuttals

I. Baseball is more popular

I'm not sure why my definition made Pro smile, it's the definition given by the Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

Pro is attempting to downplay the importance of popularity. It is clear, however, that part of the definition of better is "more appealing"... hence why the popularity of baseball is a key argument. Appealing literally means: attractive or interesting [1]. Since people flock to stuff that interests them as part of human nature, then it follows that the most interesting things to humans will be the most popular. Once again, popularity is key in proving that baseball is, on balance, "more appealing" than lacrosse - thus making it better.

II. "Money is not what this sport is played for."

So what? Such a claim does nothing to prove or affirm your position that lacrosse is better than baseball. My only point about money was that it shows that more people care about baseball rather than lacrosse since professional baseball players receive literally millions more. I've already shown how popularity = appealing, thus baseball is better via definition of the term *better*. At best, this claim is attempting to rebut my previous point, but I've already defeated your rebuttal with my own above. At worst, this is a moot point that does nothing to affirm or prove your position.

III. "Lacrosse has been around for longer than baseball."

Again, so what? I can completely understand the nostalgia of knowing that lacrosse is hundreds of years old, but it does nothing to prove or affirm that lacrosse is *better* than baseball. The first car ever built had speeds up to 5 miles per hour, whereas cars now get up to speeds of 150+ miles per hour, so is the first car better because it's older? No. You're placing a subjective measure on the term better, when in reality the term better, as understood by modern dictionaries, has nothing to do with age. Thus, this argument does nothing to prove that lacrosse is better, it merely points out the obvious that it's an older sport. As I said before though, being older doesn't automatically make it better.

IV. "This is a game that was so important that it was used to resolve disputes between tribes instead of going to war."

Okay, I didn't want to call you out before, but this is such an obvious red-herring fallacy [2] from Pro. Pro is merely diverting attention away from the original issue here, which is whether or not lacrosse is better than baseball. Talking about prior applications of a sport called "stickball" (because it certainly wasn't the lacrosse we know today)[3], by a group of people who had vastly different political structures and practices than modern day Americans is just ridiculous. Pro is merely committing a red-herring fallacy here and nothing more. This is literally a moot point and should be tossed aside altogether.

Arguments

There's still no need for me to present any additional arguments since my original argument proving baseball is better still stands. At this point, if Pro does not overcome the rebuttals I've raised to challenge his own arguments, he loses. In addition to this, Pro has also failed to respond to my points regarding Baseball-movies being much more successful, the fact that the lacrosse league is so unpopular that it can't even pay its players enough to match poverty levels, and his reliance on logical fallacies such as red-herrings. Lastly, Pro has yet to prove that lacrosse is better than baseball, and has utterly ignored the definition of "better" throughout this entire debate so far.

I now return the floor to Pro.

[1] https://www.google.com...
[2] http://www.nizkor.org...
[3] http://www.uslacrosse.org...
CapLAX22

Pro

CapLAX22 forfeited this round.
Blade-of-Truth

Con

My opponent, Pro, has forfeited the final round.

Thus, I extend all arguments as they currently remain standing unchallenged.

Posted by Rosiet 1 year ago
Rosiet
I personally like Lacrosse way better than Baseball. For me free flowing sports are more exciting to watch. I grew up in Australia and used to like cricket but now I find it boring for the same reasons as baseball.
Posted by BuergerMan16 2 years ago
BuergerMan16
I think lacrosse is better but this is an asswoopin
Posted by 1harderthanyouthink 2 years ago
1harderthanyouthink
I could take this.
Posted by BoggyB 2 years ago
BoggyB
I think it would be better to make the debate a little more specific, because this title is very vague and it's hard to tell what aspects of each sport you would debate on. You mentioned strategy in your first post, so I would gladly debate if the debate where focused on that subject specifically.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
CapLAX22Blade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
CapLAX22Blade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: A lacking in definition for "defined" really hurt Pro in this debate. Con took this lacking and gave a definition of his own, of which Pro never attacked (instead tried to tag it with logical fallacies). Con in the second round then murdered Pro's stance thanks to the standing definition, having plenty the popularity argument dropped due to the forfeit. Add to this the fact that Pro never quite made a concrete argument as to why Lacrosse is better, often saying vague things like "it's more exciting". The ultimate problem was that Con's definition required judgement of popularity, so it couldn't be a logical fallacy, and so this dropped argument wins Con the debate, in light of there being no other serious contention (money indicated popularity). Conduct to Con for Pro's round forfeit. Sources to Con, particularly for the definition because it won Con the debate.