SCHUMAN8R
Bitschi

Is Light Yagami evil?

SCHUMAN8R

Con

First round is for acceptance.

In this debate we will be discussing an anime known as "Death Note"

I will be defending Light and saying that the basis of his beliefs are not evil and deep down he is a good person.

Pro will be saying Light was evil in what he did and deserved the death he got.

I hope to have a good debate.
Bitschi

Pro

Well then. It seems I will be participating, dismiss my earlier comment.

I accept the debate. State your case, con.
SCHUMAN8R

Con

In the beginning of the series, Light states he wants the world to be a better place, a utopia where people can live without fear of criminals. He tries to create this utopia by killing off horrible people in the world to make it a safer place. Later in the anime, it states that crime rates drop because people start to fear Kira's power. Now, Light's methods of achieving this utopia are in the wrong place morally. I do not believe that this utopia Light wishes to create would be created by killing off the criminals because crime never stops. In the end, Light wants the world to be a better place, although he wants to be in charge of this place, he wants people to be happy.
Bitschi

Pro

“The road to hell is paved with good intentions.”

Definitions, courtesy of Dictionary.com:

Evil: adj.
1.
morally wrong or bad; immoral; wicked: evil deeds; an evil life.

2.
harmful; injurious: evil laws.

Utopia: noun.
an ideal place or state.

2.

any
visionary system of political or social perfection.

This next definition is from merriam-webster.com:

Totalitarian: adj.
Controlling the people of a country in a very strict way with complete power that cannot be opposed
---

A world where there is no crime is a noble ideal; but the end Light dreams of does not justify the means. Light not only kills those who commit crimes, but also those who stand in his way, such as Naomi Misora and Raye Penber, both of whom were FBI agents (granted, Naomi was an ex-agent) who have committed no past crimes. He justifies even his most drastic actions, believing that it is for his 'cause'.

Light's utopia is a world where there are no criminals; like you said, to create this "utopia", and ensure that it stays the same, he must instill fear into the hearts of the people, and even that may not stop crime all together. To me, Light's choices and dream seem a little totalitarian, and the perfect world, as the story continues, morphs from a world without criminals, to a world where Light rules over as a sort of God, casting judgment on both law breakers and people who stand in his way; the only people who seem like they'll be allowed to live are the ones who fear or worship him.

Like how L said, "This isn't divine judgement, it's the work of some childish killer who's playing at divine retribution, that's all."

SCHUMAN8R

Con

SCHUMAN8R forfeited this round.
Bitschi

Pro

Ah... it seems that my opponent has missed his round. Hopefully he'll be able to answer this next round.

Here, have a picture of Light:

SCHUMAN8R

Con

SCHUMAN8R forfeited this round.
Bitschi

Pro

I was hoping my opponent would be able to come back, but he has not been on for about a week now.

I extend my arguments, but I was hoping for him to post something. :C

Posted by Nilly 3 years ago
Nilly
Not sure how anyone can argue for Light not being evil (he's the anime counterpart to Hitler, IMO) but looking forward to the arguments!
Posted by Bitschi 3 years ago
Bitschi
Sounds interesting. Dunno if I'll accept challenge though, but I'm looking forward to what both sides have to say.