Is Lunch Detention/Working Lunch in Middle School Really Beneficial?

I think that lunch detention/working lunch is not beneficial. I am Debating starting a petition at my school and would appreciate all opinions.

Would you like to be physically and emotionally abused or disciplined in a peaceful manner such as this?

When a kid is put in silent lunch/lunch detention it 1. makes a kid fell less then his friends or may cause people to talk about them. It can be very detrimental to the kids self esteem and 2. it gives them the opportunity to meet the kids that can be bad influences on them to do drugs or drink alcohol. These kids could influence the kid that is only in there once or twice to lie or try to get away with it with out getting caught.

I agree those are 2 of the many benefits.

The low self esteem is the way we cause pain to the student after all it is a punishment and they must dislike it for it to work.

The lessons they learn from other bad kids is how to get better at being it, that way they can end up in detention less often by avoiding getting caught.

If they avoid detentions it means they're getting less punished which means everybody's happy and the discipline system is working.

So you are saying that you want to lower a kids self esteem to cause them pain and that know one cares enough for them to be happy and there life is miserable.
And that they need to learn not to get caught which could later cause the habit of hiding stuff and lying to authority figures such as cops just so they could avoid detention or jail.
I think it is a waste of time all together because the teacher in charge just sits their in silence and doesn't get there much deserved break, also the kids just sit in there and talk. I think that lunch detention/ working lunch is wrong

In Con's conclusive speech we see that their side relies on the notion that a student inherently deserves a break.

A break is something they must earn with good behavior. It is more of an easily attained privilege as opposed to a god given right.

I thank you for reading this debate and I shall just quickly defend my point regarding my Round 2 points.

If the kid's self esteem is hut by having to go to attention it is successfully deterring hte kid form doing the action that ended him/her in the detention in the first place as they clearly won't enjoy the loss of self esteem.

If the kid learns form fellow naughty children how to get good at being naughty, they will be able to enjoy the bad stuff they do without the school or them getting too stressed about it which benefits everyone. I'd rather that kid grew up did some weed and had a good job and avoided prison rather than one who was naive and got caught with the weed, poor dude wiht a criminal record he can't go anywhere in life other than rap perhaps.
Posted by ilistentorap 10 months ago
I agree because we want to talk to our friends and why would want to be quite when we have been quited all day in class.
Posted by wundrweapon 10 months ago
I agree with you on this one. The only difference between a regular lunch and a lunch detention is that in one you're working without any peers. Yeah, like THAT'S gonna teach me to turn my homework in on time
Vote Placed by Wylted 6 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro provides a moral framework that emphasizes punishment and turns con's argument in his own favor. Con never gets around to explaining why hurting kids is bad.