metalsiren
brady11

Is Madden still a viable NFL game?

Started: 4/20/2015 Category: Games

metalsiren

Con

There was once a time where the Madden NFL game was the premier football game. It did many things well in a market where other football games did exist. Overtime however lack of changes to any of the core problems began to hinder it. Even worse when they controlled the NFL rights each yearly edition felt more and more like a roster update with a few new bells and whistles. I don't believe Madden is worth its salt anymore and the game creators don't care because they know their game will sell regardless if its core problems persist.

When compared to MLB or NBA games, Madden just falls short in important aspects like AI and a realistic portrayal of what a football game is. Could it be because its too difficult to create such an experience?
brady11

Pro

When you say Madden is bad I would disagree with you most of the time. They gave us the chance to start in high school and then make it to college then to the NFL. All the game modes are fun on it and are enjoyable. At the point now they could make the ai"s better, but I think they are fine because the latest game was made in 2014. So you can"t expect them to be perfect. When you say the graphics are bad they aren't they are pretty good with a few exception. But to me it doesn"t matter because we look at Minecraft where all the graphics are many blocks and look how good it sold and nobody complained about it. They didn"t complain because the idea of the game to do whatever you wanted in it was so fun.

At the moment theres not much they can do to improve the game. Unless we count hand gestures, but we all saw how well that did on the Wii. All they can do is make new game modes, improve graphics, and the ai"s. Which they could do.

One last thing if the game was bad nobody would buy it.
metalsiren

Con

I'll address each of your points with my reply.

"They gave us the chance to start in high school and then make it to college then to the NFL."

You're right, being able to bring your created character over from NCAA was a pretty cool feature I'll have to give you that.

"All the game modes are fun on it and are enjoyable. "

The Superstar or "my player" modes seem lackluster in comparison to the NBA games like the 2k series. They seem to have put more emphasis on it than I'd say a Madden. Too often the AI refuses to get your player in the game and depending on the position you'll barely get any touches at all unless you play running back. Online Franchise mode is decent but any sense of realism fades when 35yr old players want large contracts or teams want 1st and 2nd round draft picks for players who have poor overall scores. I do like the trainer modes and probably get the most enjoyment from them.

"At the point now they could make the ai"s better, but I think they are fine because the latest game was made in 2014."

The Ai still has a broken feel and you are often cheated at an experience because 3rd string cornerbacks are shutting down top 5 WRs. WRs like Calvin Johnson are often jammed at the line by CBs who wouldn't even start in real life. No matter what plays you call the defense seems to know exactly the play you're running so attempts at play action turn into quick sacks. The entire Ai defense always knows where the ball is so once the ball is in the air usually on deep balls you'll see the entire secondary heading that way which again feels wrong. When you run the ball your LT or RT at times will not even attempt to block their DE or LB resulting in a loss of yards on what should have been an easy first down depending on your players.

"When you say the graphics are bad they aren't they are pretty good with a few exception. "

I have no issues with the graphics and do not believe I mentioned that in my original post. However if something I said made you interpret that, my mistake. I think the graphics are good and have come a long way.

"One last thing if the game was bad nobody would buy it."

Not sure if I'd go that far. When it comes to entertainment, quality is often overlooked many many times. In the music industry you had people like Souljaboy selling lots of records despite his poor quality, in film many times movies make money despite their poor quality overall (Star Wars: The Phantom Menace). TV Shows like Keeping Up With the Kardashians again, not much substance but still popular. Madden being the only football title on the market means that if you want to play a football game, that is your only option. It has had no competition for years so it will indeed get sales because at their core people love Football.

Don't get me wrong, Madden is not an unplayable game and it does have fun moments. I simply believe they have been slacking for a bit. Lack of competition means you can do just that. A game that was pushing them to do better was NFL2k5 which was very good. Not surprisingly enough Madden 2005 was also a good game. As close as the games were however NFL2k5 was as fun as Madden but at a much lower cost.
brady11

Pro

brady11 forfeited this round.
metalsiren

Con

I stand by what I said regarding the poor AI and cookie cutter updates have not given Madden the quality of other sports games. The cause of all these problems are in fact because Madden has no other license football games to compete with. When you're the only show in town you're the best by default.
brady11

Pro

brady11 forfeited this round.