BessPerezC
Santanam21

Is Medea Responsible For Her Actions?

BessPerezC

Pro

Responsibility is defined as the state of having a duty to deal with something or having control over someone
Medea was responsible for her actions because she has control over herself
Although she was hurt, she knew what she was doing and was acting upon vengeance
Vengeance is defined as punishment inflicted or retribution exacted for an injury or wrong
Medea killed her children in a successful effort to get back at her husband, the children's father, for hurting her
She also chose to hurt him even deeper by not allowing him to see his children have a proper burial
Therefore, Medea is responsible for her actions.

Non-Controversial Premises: 1,4 and 5. Premises 1 and 4 are definitions and premise 5 is an analysis and summary of what was stated and done in the play.

Controversial Premises: 2, 3 and 6. Premise 2 is my opinion of why Medea is responsible for her actions based on the definition given in the previous premise. Premise 3 is also my opinion based on what I know of the story of Medea. Premise 6 is my analysis behind Medea's reasons for doing what she did to her husband and children.
Santanam21

Con

1. I agree
2. I agree that based on the definition she was responsible
3. I agree
4. I disagree, I think she killed her children because she was mentally unstable after sacrificing her life for a man who broke her in the most horrible ways imagineable.
5. Again, I feel she did that out of pain
6. I don't disagree that medea's tactics were unethical, but I don't agree she is competent enough to take full responsibility for what she did
7. People in courts of law are found not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect
8. I believe that, in the case of Medea, had this been tried in court that's what the ruling would be
9. She was temporarily insane after having her heart broken
10. Therefore, she is not responsible for her actions.
BessPerezC

Pro

1. She may have been heartbroken, but that doesn't necessarily mean she was mentally unstable
2. If her mind was unstable then she should not have been able to come up with a plan to hurt him in return
3. Pain is a justifiable responding feeling to what she went through, however her response to those feelings was vengeance and retribution as opposed to crying and binge eating
4. She planned out her revenge, executed it and rubbed it in his face meaning she was looking to hurt him by any means necessary
5. In regard to my last premise, she had the mind state of getting revenge not of temporarily being insane and committing a spur of the moment attack
6. I agree with your premise 7
7. I disagree, I feel she would have been found guilty of premeditated manslaughter
8. If she was temporarily insane she would have acted in accordance
Santanam21

Con

1. I agree, however I feel she definitely was mentally unstable
2. Her decision to murder her own children to get revenge on a man proves she was unstable mentally
3. Medea had given up so much to be with him, even murdered her own brother, so she was devastated to know he would betray her in such a way
4. All of which were done from a place of hurt
5. How people go about being insane varies, not all crazy people are the same kind of crazy
BessPerezC

Pro

1. Mentally unstable is defined as having a mind state that is not constant or that fluctuates
2. In regards to your premise 3, if she has killed before and she kills again that is a recurring pattern or tendency
3. In regards to your premise 3, her killing her own brother, then killing her own children show signs of a serial killer more than a woman who's mentally unstable due to the loss of a love
Santanam21

Con

1. I agree with your definition of mentally unstable
2. In regards to your premise 2, if she is in face a repeated killer than that could be a sign tat she is in fact a mentally unstable woman
3. I think it shows that she gave absolutely everything she had to a man she loved wholly and then found out it was all for nothing and she snapped upon facing that reality
BessPerezC

Pro

She planned out her revenge, executed it and rubbed it in his face meaning she was looking to hurt him by any means necessary
Mentally unstable is defined as having a mind state that is not constant or that fluctuates
Santanam21

Con

1. I agree
3. I agree
4. I disagree, I think she killed her children because she was mentally unstable after sacrificing her life for a man who broke her in the most horrible ways imaginable.