Clearys
grilojo

Is Medea responsible for committing infanticide?

Clearys

Pro

1. Anger, according to Aristotle, is pain due to the slighting by another person accompanied by the pleasure of the fantasy of revenge.
2. Anger controls one's actions, and causes them to act out in blind rage.One can only become angry if they are invested in something/someone.
3. Anger results out of dissatisfaction of one's needs or expectations.
4. Medea's husband did not meet her expectations of faithfulness, therefore she took the lives of her children as an act of revenge . Not only does Medea imagine revenge, she takes it upon herself as well. Anger is the state in which we feel both pleasure in pain. Medea felt pain at the slighting of her husband, and took pleasure in her revenge.
5. Infanticide is the act of killing a child, especially one's own kin.
6. According to Seneca, anger is punitive and is not a useful reaction to a situation.
7. Seneca says we can control anger, therefore Medea is not justified in her actions because she could have prevented them.
8. Medea made the choice to let her anger control her, and she is responsible for the deaths of her children because she chose to take their lives in order to exact her revenge.
9. Medea's actions were selfish, and she let her desires cloud her judgement.
10. Nothing constructive can come out of anger, as seen through Medea's story.
11. Therefore, Medea is responsible for her act of infanticide.

Non Controversial:
1,2,3, 5, and 6 are all non-controversial premises because they are agreed upon and discuss the definition of anger and infanticide.

Controversial:
4. My opponent could argue that Medea had no choice or that she was attempting to protect herself and her children from further heartbreak. However, no one was forcing her against her own will.
7. It could be argued, with evidence, that Medea's locus of control was smaller than one would think, causing her to act the way she did. My opponent may argue the point that Medea was not in the right state of mind. Yet, Medea made a conscious decisions, driven by anger, and thought it through beforehand.
8. My opponent could argue that it was not a personal choice, or that some force caused her to act out. As aforementioned, no one forced or coerced her.
9. My opponent may argue that Medea's actions were not selfish.Medea, however, was taking into account her own feelings and the feelings of hurt her husband would feel.
10. My opponent may argue that Medea's act was constructive. This could only be substantiated with proper evidence from one's interpretation of the text.
grilojo

Con

1. We have agreed to Aristotle's definition of anger.
2.For someone to be responsible for their actions they must be mentally stable.
3. I do not agree with your 3rd premise because dissatisfaction out of ones needs or expectations is disgust not anger in my opinion.
4.I do agree that there was wrong doings toward Medea by her husband. But for a parent to willingly kill her own children out of an act of revenge is not something a mentally stable person does and takes pleasure in.
5. I agree with your premise #5 as we agreed on this definition of Infanticide.
6.Medea is struggling to decide on whether to go through with what she was planning. That would show that she is very indecisive and not being mentally stable for her actions.
7. Therefore, Because Medea"s emotions, and the pressure from outside sources keep getting in the way of her decisions; she is not responsible for her actions.

Non-Controversial premises
Premises 1,5, and 7
Premise 1 is our definition of anger.
Premise 5 is us agreeing on our definition of infanticide
Premise 7 is my closing as to why Medea is not responsible for her actions

Controversial premises
Premises 2, 3,4, and 6

Premise 2 says that Medea"s anger is not mentally stable in any way possible and can not be blamed for a sickness in her head.
Premise 3 says that I do not think this is a result of Anger but rather an act of disgust.
Premise 4 says that I agree that Medea was wronged by her husband but that should not give Medea the right to murder a child who was innocent in this situation. Just because you get angry doesn't mean its ok to go around murdering people.
Premise 6 says that Medea is back and forth between following her plan or not. Planning murder would show intent which therefore can fall under the category as "mentally ill".
Clearys

Pro

Clearys forfeited this round.
grilojo

Con

grilojo forfeited this round.
Clearys

Pro

Clearys forfeited this round.
grilojo

Con

grilojo forfeited this round.
Clearys

Pro

Clearys forfeited this round.
grilojo

Con

grilojo forfeited this round.