ranawldee
gonzaleza74

Is Medea responsible?

ranawldee

Pro

1.Medea is angry towards her husband.
2.Media claims that she must kill her children to keep her children away from her husband and to get revenge on her husband.
3. Therefore Medea is going to commit infanticide.

4. Anger is an irrational emotion.
5. Anger stems from that your expectation does not match what actually is happening.
6. One can become not angry as much by lowering their expectations.
7. Lower your expectations are a controllable process.
8. Expectations and anger are directly correlated.
9. Therefore anger is a controllable reaction.

10. Medea is able to argue both sides of the story
11. The two sides are passion, and reason.
12, the ability to decipherer between passion and reason is rational thinking.
13. Therefore Medea able to think rationally.

14. She knows what she is going to do is an evil idea.
15 if one can understand the morality consequences of their actions before the action occurs they are in control of their actions.
16. If one is in control of their actions they are responsible for their actions.
17. Therefore Medea is in control of her own actions.

18. If one is in control of their actions, then they are responsible for their actions.
19. Medea is in control of her actions to commit infanticide
20. Therefore Medea is responsible for her actions.

Non-Controversial Premises.

Premises 1-3 due to they are about the story of Medea
Premise 14 is about the story
Premise 11 is about the story, Medea is battling between two sides in her monologue.

Controversial Premises

The rest are controversial due to I am arguing my point that Medea is responsible for her actions.
gonzaleza74

Con

1. I agree with this statement
2. I agree with this statement
3. I agree with this statement
4. I agree with this statement
5. Anger is displeasure of an outcome that was not expected.
6. One cannot simply just lower their expectations so they won"t be disappointed
7. I agree with this statement
8. I agree with this statement
9. Anger is not a controllable reaction because one cannot control themselves, because the emotion is clouding their judgment.
10. I agree with this statement
11. The two sides cannot be passion and reason
12. One cannot decipherer between passion and reason when ones emotions are too clouded by passion to make a rational decision.
13. Passion is a stem of emotion
14. Medea"s emotion is getting in the way of her ending her children"s lives, clearly showing that her emotions are affecting her judgment.
15. Therefore Medea was not able to think rationally
16. Anger and Passion are two types of emotion that correlate.
17. I do not agree with this statement because anger is the passion that"s clouding her judgment
18. I agree with this statement
19. One cannot control their actions, when their emotion and passion is clouding their judgment for them to really understand their actions.
20. Therefore Medea was not in control of her actions
21. Restated your premise 16
22. Medea was not in control of her actions to commit infanticide since her judgment was clouded by passion
23. Therefore Medea is not responsible for her actions.

Controversial Premises
Premise 17
My opponent stated "IF" one is in control of their actions than one should be held accountable. However what "IF" that person wasn"t in control of their actions.
ranawldee

Pro

1. Why cant one lower expectation?
For example:

2. X drives everyday to work in traffic
3. X has expectations that everyday there might not be traffic going to work.
4. The disappointment that there is traffic make him angry
5. X is in traffic and is now angry.

6. If X thinks that everyday there will be traffic he wont become angry. Why cant X change his expectations?

7. Why cant one decipherer between passion and reason when emotion is involved?

8. Medea states " I know what I am about to do is bad". If one knows what they are doing is bad they are able to think rationally. Irrational people would not know what she is about to do is bad.

8. Why cant passion and reason be what she is talking about it?

9. You are just making broad statements with no reason to back them up.

10. I agree with you that her emotions are affecting her judgment, but she is in control of her actions in the end.

11. John is angry at Gary.
12. John than kills Gary.
13. John is committed to prison by the courts for killing Gary
14. Therefore John is responsible for killing Gary

15. Wouldn"t you agree that John is responsible for killing Gary?

16. Emotion is not an excuse for being in control, especially when Medea is able to rationalize the consequences of her actions?

gonzaleza74

Con

1.I agree with this premises.
2.Premise #6 even if one was to lower their expectation one will still feel some type of emotion. Referring to you example if X was to lower his expectation to the everyday traffic he will hit, he will still feel some type of emotion, such as frustration.
3.One cannot decipherer between passion and reason when emotion is involved is because ones emotion will cloud that person judgment from making the right decision. Such as being in "the heat of the moment"
4.Premise #8 you have a point but Medea also states, "anger is master of my plans" and as I stated in my Premise #13 Passion is a stem of emotion. Emotion that clouds ones judgment.
5.I agree with premise #15
6.However, since you wanna base your whole argurment with examples, please explain what Gary did in order for John to get angry.
ranawldee

Pro

1. Premeise 2 " The question was not about if X would have sometime emotion. The example was to prove that someone could lower their expectations. The example clearly shows how some can lower their expectations. Do you agree that one can lower their expectations? If not, why not?

2. Premise 3 " This might be true in some cases, but in the cases of Medea she is clearly talking about the outcome of what she is doing in a rational way. Their seems to be no heat of the moment.

3. Anger can be the "master of her plans", but then the question is anger controllable, if anger is controllable emotion than she is responsible for her actions

4. Anger is the master of Medea plans
5. Medea plan is to commit infanticide
6. Anger is controllable emotion
7. Therefore Medea is in control of her actions

8. One in control of their actions is responsible for their actions
9. Therefore Medea is responsible for her actions

10. Emotions may cloud judgment, but not take control of ones body.

12. Premise 6 " for my argument it doesn"t matter, I was just showing that one can be angry, commit a crime, and is responsible for one actions.
gonzaleza74

Con

1. I believe someone can lower their expectations down, but still feel some type of emotion due to the outcome. Even thought they had already lower their expectations.

2. It's true, however people can choose how they react to their emotions, but when put in a situation like Medea's, where she has no chance of making a clear and rational reaction.

3. One can not control their emotions, for example, your angry and you try to let your anger out by hitting a pillow or yelling. Your still showing some type of emotion by doing so.

4. Premise#10 I'm not saying it takes control of ones body, but it does cloud your judgment and you don't really rationalize what your doing.

5. Premise#12 it does matter cause one can react to the situation in the heat of the moment and react by killing that person.
ranawldee

Pro

4. Anger is an irrational emotion.

The premises from round 1 sum up my argument.

Also I would like to add

21. That emotion could cloud one"s judgment, but one is still responsible for their own actions. Medea could have easily not killed her children but passion out took her reason. Passion is just as much a controllable reaction and therefore she is in control of her own actions.

gonzaleza74

Con

1.One cannot decipherer between passion and reason when emotion is involved is because ones emotion will cloud that person judgment from making the right decision. Such as being in "the heat of the moment"
2.One can not control their emotions, for example, your angry and you try to let your anger out by hitting a pillow or yelling. Your still showing some type of emotion by doing so.
3.Anger is displeasure of an outcome that was not expected.
4. One cannot simply just lower their expectations so they won"t be disappointed
5.Anger is not a controllable reaction because one cannot control themselves, because the emotion is clouding their judgment.
6.Anger and Passion are two types of emotion that correlate.
7.One cannot control their actions, when their emotion and passion is clouding their judgment for them to really understand their actions.
8.Therefore Medea is not responsible for her actions