cleverguy33
godtraitor

Is Michael Jordan the greatest basketball player of all time?

godtraitor
Started: 3/9/2016 Category: Sports

cleverguy33

Pro

MJ is the greatest. He has six rings. One on one nobody can compete with him. He has the best blend of speed, size, and skill. His defense is up to par with his offense. He has no weaknesses. He is the greatest of all time.
godtraitor

Con

Thanks for presenting such a great debate topic! It's one of my favorites and I'll happily argue the Con position regarding Michael Jordan (MJ) being the greatest basketball player of all time. To defend my position, I'll rebut your reasons for Jordan's claim to "greatest of all time" (GOAT) in this first round and then in rounds 2-3 I will build the case for the player I consider to be the GOAT, thereby showing Jordan isn't the top dog.

1. "He has six rings." - Because championships are a team achievement, they have no place in determining an individual's greatness. By that logic, Robert Horry is better than Jordan because Horry has 7 rings with 3 different teams. No one would dare argue that Robert Horry is superior to Jordan.

2. "One-on-One nobody can compete with him." - Normally, this argument is purely speculation since 1-on-1 rarely if ever occurs between NBA players, let alone recorded. In Jordan's case, however, there is a recorded game of 1-on-1 between MJ and Shaquille O'Neil and Jordan gets embarrassed. Here's a link to the video: https://youtu.be...

3. "He has the best blend of speed, size, and skill." - I'm not sure how one would quantify this so I'd love it if you could explain that in the next round.

4. "His defense is up to par with his offense." - Absolutely. No argument there.

5. "He has no weaknesses." - While I agree his weaknesses were few and far between, Jordan lacked the height necessary to play and defend all five positions on the court. Jordan also had a tendency to take ill-advised shots, as he led the NBA in Missed FG Attempts in a season seven times (http://www.basketball-reference.com...).
cleverguy33

Pro

cleverguy33 forfeited this round.
godtraitor

Con

Round 2 to Con by forfeiture.
cleverguy33

Pro

cleverguy33 forfeited this round.
godtraitor

Con

Round 3 to Con by way of forfeiture.
Posted by godtraitor 1 year ago
godtraitor
Dude! You have 20 minutes to post your argument! Hurry hurry!!!
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
cleverguy33godtraitorTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff many times, so conduct to Con.