XCRunner16
bman7720

Is Michelle Obama's "healthy" plan in schools actually healthy, or even helpful?

XCRunner16

Con

We've all been to school and had some kind of horrible punch, meat loaf, chicken, or even pizza. But none compare to today's youth's pain and misery of lunches. In an effort to make school lunches "healthy" Michelle Obama and the school districts directors have made lunches "whole grain" and limited even seniors of high school to have the same "healthy servings" as an elementary kindergartner. I would love to hear some arguments on how this is remotely helpful or nice. Also it all tastes like cardboard and grease, real healthy.
bman7720

Pro

I couldn't help but be captured by this debate, being in high school as a freshman myself. While the main lines tend to lack any flavor, there is always at least one item that is edible and even enjoyable.

The menu consists of an alternating main dish, ranging from country-fried steak to pizza, and your choice of a fruit/vegetable side, ranging from apple sauce to fresh fruit to frozen fruit juice cups. Sometimes whole-grain cookies are offered, but they're hardly enjoyable. However, a salad bar and yogurt line are offered alternatively. As is a baked potato line. These offer not only flavorful, but healthy lunches at the same price as the normal lunch line.

Michael Obama's movement has not only increased the healthy options in lunch lines, but has also introduced some new, and possibly even better, options that are normally not offered to students.
XCRunner16

Con

I know that some lunches may actually decent or even mildly pleasurable. Like some decent high schools. But most ate so bad that they invented a hash tag for it. A line I found in an article stated "Lunches include tiny portions, mushy and unrecognizable menu items, a lettuce-and-cheese sandwich and chicken nuggets void of any chicken
School nutrition directors say the rules have proved to be costly and restrictive. House Republicans are making a final push this month to give schools a temporary break from the meal standards". These are how most people experience their lunch, cardboard dipped in grease=pizza. Mushy shredded goo=chicken nuggets? Maybe YOUR high school has decent food, but everyone else, nope. It has even become a legislature problem! And I KNOW that Missouri has some very bad lunches and breakfasts such as fort zumwalt elementary, where my grandmother works as a lunch lady, and she tells us about how bad it is. Thank you for reading my argument and sorry it was do late.
bman7720

Pro

My opponent has stated issues that are out of the control of anyone outside the school itself. In a public school system, the lunchroom has a separate funds account than the rest of the school. A nutritionalist is appointed to oversee how these funds are spent. If, like my opponent said, the school meals are subpar in taste and flavoring, it is rather the fault of the school for not purchasing adequate meals for their students.

School lunches have never been favorable, unless you attended a private school with surplus funds. Many school get their products from the company Tyson. Tyson provides these schools with the frozen meats that they serve, and some vegetables and fruits. As our society adapts to this healthy movement, new forms of healthy foods are forming around the market. Many schools are already taking advantage of some of these options, such as the fruit juice mentioned in my previous argument.

As for my opponent's headline, there was no source credited and thus I will not put the effort into arguing against it. The healthy food options that schools can choose from are also not in control by the government, but rather corporate America food industries. An article on The Huffington Post website not only supports this, but rather supports the very fact that these healthy lunches are working. (Huffington Post, The Blog. "Don't Let Food Industry Stir the Pot.")
XCRunner16

Con

XCRunner16 forfeited this round.
bman7720

Pro

bman7720 forfeited this round.
Posted by XCRunner16 2 years ago
XCRunner16
Yep. Its good.
Posted by bman7720 2 years ago
bman7720
Apologies if you didn't want someone to accept without permission, but this topic was just irresistible to me.