Spirt139
MCB2700

Is Minecraft Safe For Kids?

Started: 1/30/2015 Category: Games

Spirt139

Pro

I think it is safe I have learned a lot of things from minecraft.
MCB2700

Con

I shall accept this debate as a con's half.

I will now state my argument.

My first argument is Minecraft is not a safe place because Minecraft is full of trolls and greifers that want to ruin your Minecraft experience. Minecraft is also not a safe place because users ages usually target from 8-14, therefore making younger users venerable. Predators are able to target a certain group of kids and convince them that he or she is younger than he or she really is. Most predators are usually able to convince children of giving him or her personal information.

My second argument is Minecraft has almost no knowledge required to play the game, it is easy to master and easier to play. Minecraft shows crafting recipes and how to defend against monsters, Fun right? Well this information is wrong because lets say you want to make a sword, making a sword in real life takes more than a stick and two iron ingots.

My third argument is Minecraft is unrealistic. For starters its a world made of blocks with only two items that obey the laws of physics (Sand and gravel). Another reason is in real life you cannot chop down a tree with your bare hands, well you can but it would leave you with sore hands. A side note to add to that, in Minecraft if you break the bottom of a tree, the rest of the tree will float. A final reason is you can place a block mid air and it will float, Which is fairly unrealistic and serves no learning purpose.
Spirt139

Pro

I think you can learn a lot of mine craft like sugar comes from sugar cane and steak and milk comes from cows and wool comes sheep and pork comes pigs and many other things. for kids things don't have to be so real because it's just a game if it was so real they won't like it so much. And for trolling the parents should always be there with them and if they are not responsible enough to know not to give personal information out then they should not be playing.
MCB2700

Con

My opponent stated that you can learn a lot from Minecraft such as getting sugar from sugar cane's and steak and milk and wool, when really, putting a sugar cane into a crafting table (Which is even more unrealistic) does not make sugar in real life. In real life sugar cane needs to be smoked, chopped up followed by a number of other steps, which is not as easy as putting a cane into a table. A crafting table it also even more unrealistic because you only need 4 wood blocks to make a table that can make anything? Pretty unrealistic if you ask me!

My opponent also stated that the parents should always be there with them when playing the game. Parents have more important things to do than watch their child play a game made up of blocks.

My opponent also stated that if they are not responsible enough then they shouldn't be playing, well kids will play either way, with or without responsibility. No matter what there will always be some sort of offence on Minecraft, no matter what you do. There will always be hackers and trolls and griefers no matter what.

If Minecraft was realistic, it would be shown as more of a challenge to the player. It would not make kids not want to play the game, it would give them more of a challenge. Making the game more realistic would allow players to be able to simulate real life situation such as building a house and/or getting a job.
Spirt139

Pro

My opened says that you can't craft things so early like that but, you keep forgetting sugar does come sugar but, it doesn't matter how it gets there. And you are forgetting that steak comes from comes and wool comes from sheep. Some things are realistic but, the WHOLE game should not be realistic or it could scare the child.

Yes the parent could be doing more import things but, a GOOD parent would always come in and check on the parent once in a while that's what my dad did and I had no problem.

When clearly if they are not responsible to even do that why would they have ANY access to a computer, box or any mobile device. Since you have to download it.
MCB2700

Con

My opponent did not state any new argument therefore I cannot make any arguments against him.

I will state my contentions now

Minecraft is not a safe place, one reason of this is cyber bullying. Children have some weird mind set that they feel the need to discourage other people on video games if their doing something wrong. A perfect example in Minecraft. If someone build something in the wrong way or something they don't like, they will most likely respond with "no no, jee you suck at building" or "go bring your crap somewhere else" (At least every time I played Minecraft). Admins and server owners often abuse their power also. They'll be absolute trolls while ruining everyones things by griefing them.

I end this argument here, the very best of luck to my opponent. I hope everyone votes for the right arguer.
Posted by Talyarin 2 years ago
Talyarin
Pardon me I saw a couple of flaws in my comment.

What I meant is the arguments you got aren't as strong as they could've been.
Posted by Talyarin 2 years ago
Talyarin
This could've been handled better from both of you; I see repetitions on stuff which are far from the idea of Minecraft, e.g. the unrealistic crafting, the unrealistic physics etc. I won't state anything as of yet since it might interfere with either of you in the debate, though I will say I will return to the epic conclusion of this vivid debate.