Unicornlandia1
byaka2013

Is Minecraft a better game than Terraria?

Started: 3/31/2017 Category: Games

Unicornlandia1

Con

I would like to define better as
"More entertaining or enjoyable experience."

I am arguing that the resolution stated above is false.

Round one, please only acceptance.
Unicornlandia1

Con

Firstly, I would like to say that Terraria has a wider range of items. This includes weapons, tools, accessories, armors, crafting stations, and much more. Why is this important? Well, this clearly demonstrates the wide variety in Terraria. Minecraft is very plain for a "sandbox game". Terraria, with its wide variety, defeats Minecraft in Minecraft's own game category. Terraria, in this section alone, is already more enjoyable.

Terraria also has an enormous selection of mobs. Unlike the few monsters found in Minecraft, Terrarian monsters spawn in specific times, biomes, during certain events etc. Most mobs fonud in Minecraft simply spawn at night or in darkness. There is nothing special about them. This extends the argument of weak variety found in Minecraft, especially for a "sandbox game". If Terraria can surpass Minecraft in the category Minecraft is said to be best in, what is Minecraft good for?

I will try not to pass the character limit, however there is so much to argue I'm not sure if I can fit it all in.

Not many people have heard of Terraria, but this is often used as an argument that people do not like the game. Huh? How could they even know if they like the game? Commmon in believers that Minecraft is a better game than Terraria even though they have not tried the game. Let's define "tried". Have you ever read ten pages of a book and then said, "This book is horrible." I'd be surprised if anyone has. If you took another book you liked, and compared the books, of course you would pick the one you had read. What if you had read the other book? What if you liked it better? How could you fairly compare the two if you had not read both books fully and attentively? This is why I believe many "Team Minecraft"-ers have an extremely biased opinion. Of course, not all of them, but most.

I would love to see my opposition defeat these arguments. Have fun trying!

Thank you anyway to all spectators, voters, and of course, my opponent.
byaka2013

Pro

Maybe Terraria has more items, but Minecraft in general has more customizability. For example, I can enchant my diamond sword with several enchantments, and with mods this brings literally infinitely more possibilities to the table. More people play Minecraft by far. It is way more usable, as it comes in Windows 10, PC, tablet, and console versions (hopefully VR soon).

In addition to this, there are minigames and a lot of servers, where you will find a variety of people. They all look unrecognizably different, as they have unique skins.

I agree that you shouldn"t judge "a book by its cover". But in all other aspects, Minecraft dominates in variability. So this is why I stand where I do.
Unicornlandia1

Con

First, mods do not come into play on either side of this debate. Mods are separate software, mods are not part of Minecraft. Even with enchantments, the variety of Minecraft is still far too weak. In fact, Terraria has enchantments of its own, called modifiers. Weapons, tools, and accessories can be reforged to get new modifiers, which give special boosts to the item. More people playing Minecraft in no does in no way mean that it is more enjoyable. Nearly everyone knows what Minecraft is, however, Terraria is less popular and so there are fewer copies sold. Terraria is more accessible than Minecraft. It is available on many more platforms - Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, PSVITA, 3DS, Wii U, Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, and Windows Phone.

There are countless servers with countless minigames in Terraria, where you will also find a variety of people. They all look unrecognizably different, as they have unique skins.

Notice how this last paragraph was nearly word-for-word. My opponent has used arguments that are true to my position as well.

You most definitely should not judge a book by its cover. Minecraft, as I have repeatedly stated, lacks in variability.

As you can see, my opponent's last argument was very weak and/or was mostly true for Terraria as well.
byaka2013

Pro

The Terraria world is (large) 8400 blocks wide and 2400 blocks high. The total block space: 20160000
MC: 60000000 blocks wide, 60000000 long, 256 blocks high. Total blocks space: 9.216e+17 (there's 3 dimensions!)

There are way more updates consistently coming into Minecraft. In the past year, the have been 3.5 (1.9 was in the middle) major updates (including 1.12).

Minecraft has nearly 3 times the potions of Terraria, and has way more blocks according to http://www.minecraftforum.net.... Now, the fact that json, etc. files are fully customizable this brings even more to the table. And what about command blocks? MC also has more plants, pets, support for more setting types like resource packs, and 3 times the electricity items like redstone.

Possible Skins:
Minecraft: 3233663840 (measured In Pixels) (10
digits)
Terraria: 120169940 (9 digits)
Unicornlandia1

Con

According to your previous argument, Terraria has a taller world. Also, I would like to point out that having a large world could, but not necessarily make the experience more enjoyable. Having a limited world decreases lag, which is something that all gamers would admit ruins the experience. A game being three-dimensional has absolutely nothing to do with the amount of fun you can have. It's more a matter of preference. If you don't believe me yet, look at some extremely popular games with high ratings such as Super Mario Bros. or Sonic the Hedgehog. These games were widely loved by their players, and are still played to this date, despite being two-dimensional.

Having more updates means having inadequate updates. A grand majority of those frequent Minecraft updates are simply described as "bug fixes". All Terraria updates are significant and highly important. This is another reason Terraria is superior.

I'm sorry to tell you, but I laughed at this next argument. That source is a forum, and also contains false information. I'm not sure if that's a reliable source. They have written "Minecraft: 47 mobs... ...Terraria: 93 mobs". This is most definitely not true. Terraria surpasses the 500 mark in number of enemies. Minecraft has 37 different potions (including mundane, thick, awkward, extended and upgraded potions,) while Terraria has 53. Please, use reliable sources next time!

It is likely you are correct on these numbers, however, unless you are going to use more than 120169940 skins, I don't think this matters.

I noticed that you did have not refuted any of my previous arguments, while I have refuted every single one of yours.
byaka2013

Pro

A 3d world is more open and buildable. The games you mentioned aren't really as popular as they were now, say? MC updates way more. What about lingering and more potions in MC? The commands allow for so much/ The skins give you lots of options, so therefore MC is better.