Unicornlandia1
minecraftpro1327

Is Minecraft a better game than Terraria?

Started: 3/31/2017 Category: Games

Unicornlandia1

Con

I would like to define better as
"More entertaining or enjoyable experience."

I am arguing that the resolution stated above is false.

Round one, please only acceptance.
minecraftpro1327

Pro

Minecraft has all those capabilities that you mentioned. It's entertaining (e.g. catching pigs, cooking the meat, getting some mods and eating popcorn), it's enjoyable (you feel a sense of accomplishment after you kill the boss).
Unicornlandia1

Con

It makes absolutely no sense that mods would be included for either side in this debate. Mods are separate software than the games themselves and are not what this debate is about.

A common problem with this debate is the enormous amount of people who have decided that Minecraft is better without playing Terraria. Even those who do don't get far enough into the game and miss lots of new and exciting material. I can guarantee, if you read ten pages of a book, you will never really feel anything about it. You have to experience more of it. I am proud to say that I have played Minecraft, sometimes play it still, and do not think it is a bad game. I simply believe that Terraria is quite a bit better. In summary, you're not going to enjoy Terraria if you just chop trees for five minutes and then call it quits. If anyone, spectators, voters, and my opposition has not tried it, I strongly urge you to. You won't regret it!

Now, on to my arguments.

Firstly, there is a large variety of blocks, tools, weapons, accessories, mounts, pets, even grappling hooks in Terraria. In Minecraft, the variety falls far too short. Considering Minecraft is a sandbox game that fails to be strong in its own major category, I already think it is an awfully weak game. Having variety creates a new experience every time, however, when the variety is small, every time the player plays Minecraft, they feel less and less content or excited.

Terraria is an interesting idea. Most people likely haven't gotten far enough to realize how interesting and different Terraria is. I'm mainly talking about bosses here. There is a lot of bosses (all the way to twenty). They all are summoned in different ways, have strange quirks and characteristics, and powers. Terraria is special. It is unique, unlike Minecraft.

I'm going to hold back some arguments until the rebuttals, because I'm not sure I'll need to say all of them to prove that Terraria is a better game than Minecraft.

Thanks everyone.
minecraftpro1327

Pro

Thanks Con, I'd like to rebut some of the points that you made in your argument.

"every time the player plays Minecraft, they feel less and less content or excited"
This just plainly states that you did not play minecraft much, or are good at it. Most sandbox games you have to just start off and become good at it. No game is fun or exciting when you don't know even how to play it or die in the first fifty seconds. If you're good, it's fun.

"In minecraft, the variety falls far too short"
They variety DOES NOT fall too short. There are blocks, weapons, tools, bosses, monsters, animals, plants and much, much more. Minecraft isn't about having a lot of items; it's about getting on with what you have. I've played Terraria a lot, and I still play it now, but there are far too many items to get on with. Minecraft has just the right amount of items to play with.

Thanks.
Unicornlandia1

Con

Nice rebuttals!

What you said about "every time the player plays Minecraft, they feel less and less content or excited" isn't true. Before discovering Terraria, I played Minecraft for years, every day, at least an hour or two. (You could say I was addicted). I definitely enjoyed it, but when I started playing Terraria, I noticed the same phenomenon you explained. It wasn't very fun or exciting because I didn't know how to play it. As I understood the game, it became beyond fun. The reason every time the player plays Minecraft, they feel less and less content or excited is because it is the same thing every time. Pretend there are quests for each game. The reason I said that every time the player plays Minecraft, they feel less and less content or excited is there are nearly no quests. For example:

-The Minecraft quest book-
Chop Tree
Build House
Find Cave
Find Coal
Find Iron
Find Diamond
Get Obsidian
Go To Nether
Explore It And Then Get Bored And Go Home
Kill Endermen
Find Stronghold
Go To End
Destroy Healing Towers
Kill Ender Dragon
-Congratulations! You've Completed Minecraft!-

See how that would get repetitive? If that looks like a lot to do, check out the Terraria quest book.

-The Terraria quest book-
Chop Tree
Fight Slimes (Yes, this is important)
Build House
Go Exploring
Find Cave
Find Copper/Tin
Find Iron/Lead
Find Silver/Tungsten
Find Gold/Platinum
Find Demon/Crimson Altar
Kill Demon Eyes
Make A Suspicious Looking Eye
Fight Eye Of Cthulhu
Make Demonite/Crimtane Gear
Head To Corrupt/Crimson
Smash Some Shadow Orbs/Crimson Hearts
Fight Eater Of Worlds/Brain Of Cthulhu
Make More Demonite/Crimtane Gear
Built More NPC Houses
Mine Fallen Meteorites
Defeat Goblin Army
Look For Goblin Tinkerer
Fight Skeletron
Loot Dungeon
Venture To Jungle
Finish Heart Crystals
Mine To The Underworld
Collect Some Hellstone
Make Some Obsidian
Craft A Molten Pickaxe
Build Underworld Bridge
Find Guide Voodoo Doll
Defeat Wall Of Flesh
Break Demon/Crimson Altars
Mine Cobalt/Palladium
Make Cobalt/Palladium Pickaxe/Drill
Mine Mythril/Orichalcum
Make Mythril/Orichalcum Pickaxe/Drill
Mine Adamantite/Titanium
Farm Souls Of Light
Farm Souls Of Night
Create Awesome Weapons And Armour
Find Wizard
Build Some More NPC Houses
Kill Wyverns For Souls Of Flight
Make Wings
Build Battle Arena
Make Mechanical Worm, Summon The Destroyer And Defeat It.
Make Mechanical Eye, Summon The Twins And Defeat Them
Make Mechanical Skull, Summon Skeletron Prime And Defeat It.
Craft Better Weapons And Tools
Re-Explore Hardmode Jungle
Finish Life Fruits
Mine Chlorophyte
Find Plantera Bulb And Kill Plantera
Spend Time In Hardmode Dungeon Collecting New Things
Search For Lihzahrd Temple If Not Yet Found
Loot Lihzahrd Temple
Defeat Golem
Attempt Pumpkin Moon
Attempt Frost Moon
Farm For Truffle Worms
Defeat Duke Fishron
Re-Attempt Pumpkin Moon
Re-Attempt Frost Moon
Defeat Lunatic Cultist
Defeat Solar, Vortex, Nebula And Stardust Pillars
Quickly Craft Weapons From The Fragments And Make Final Preparations For Moon Lord
Re-Do Lunatic Cultist, Celestial Events, And Moon Lord As Many Times Nessacary To Obtain All Weapons, Armour, Wings, And Tools - Matching Your Chosen Class
Cleanse The Corruption/Crimson And/Or Hallow
-Congratulations! You've Completed Terraria!-

Now do you see where I'm coming from? I doubt you even spent the time to read it because it was so long! As if you'll get tired of this. This is my defense for your first rebuttal.

As for the variety issue - You said it does not fall short, then went on further to say that Minecraft has less. Huh?
Though, I do agree that Minecraft does have enough items to play with - It doesn't have enough to have ~mAxImuM fUn~.

Thanks so much for this opportunity pro! I think it's a learning experience for the both of us.
minecraftpro1327

Pro

Thanks Con, I have some points to make about your argument.

You said to "Pretend there are quests for each game". However, Minecraft isn't really about completing quests; as I said, it's about doing stuff with what you have. For example, if you have a lot of bricks, you could choose to build a tower, or build an underground temple, or make a Jump Parkour map, and on and on. The people who play Minecraft have the choice on whether to do this or that. So, my argument is: Be creative. You have the choice on what to do.

Thanks again!
Unicornlandia1

Con

But then, it does not appeal to all audiences. Not everyone enjoys or even can be creative, so Terraria has a better appeal to those audiences. It seems to this debate is nearly over, so, I extend all of my previous arguments, as they have not been refuted, and thank everyone for their time, including my opponent. Thank you very much for this wonderful opportunity pro! Good luck!

:)
minecraftpro1327

Pro

Thanks Con, but a majority of this world do enjoy being creative, more than half. That's why Ken Robinson gave that talk about creativity on TED. I too extend my arguments and rebuttals, and close the debate.
Huge thanks to you, Con!